Sealing old, flat metal roof

Hello everyone,

We have a small house with an old fairly flat roof in Cairns. It doesn't seem to be leaking atm but there is a lot of water damage to gutters and facias that we need to fix, so we thought we should give the roof some attention too. The previous owner sprayed some sort of lacquer on the old tin to seal it - it seems ok but is brittle and is probably only a matter of time before it starts leaking.

We want to hold off replacing the roof if we can because it can't be seen from the ground, replacement quotes have com in around 15k and of course it makes no difference to the rent. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and can offer advice on how we might go cheaply resealing it with something else?

A quick google search has revealed these possibilities:
- spray on another clear sealer, eg DULUX AcraTex Roof Sealer
- spray on something like Armawall Armashield which is a weatherproof "latex" type paint
- lay down fibreglass matting first and then thickly cover it with some sort of weatherproof sealant paint
- paint the whole thing in tar/gutter sealer

All words of wisdom gratefully received :D

Hello everyone,

We have a small house with an old fairly flat roof in Cairns. It doesn't seem to be leaking atm but there is a lot of water damage to gutters and facias that we need to fix, so we thought we should give the roof some attention too. The previous owner sprayed some sort of lacquer on the old tin to seal it - it seems ok but is brittle and is probably only a matter of time before it starts leaking.

May not be leaking now but will do soon by the sounds of it.
To seal it properly you will need to remove (completely) that old lacquer, prime the roof with a primer that is compatible with whatever sealer system you choose....it goes on and on. This will be a costly and time consuming exercise that may well leave you with a roof that still leaks if not done properly.

We want to hold off replacing the roof if we can because it can't be seen from the ground, replacement quotes have com in around 15k and of course it makes no difference to the rent. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and can offer advice on how we might go cheaply resealing it with something else?

Roof cant be seen from ground but water damage to house can.
Leaking roof will make difference to rent. Huge diff.

A quick google search has revealed these possibilities:
- spray on another clear sealer, eg DULUX AcraTex Roof Sealer
- spray on something like Armawall Armashield which is a weatherproof "latex" type paint
- lay down fibreglass matting first and then thickly cover it with some sort of weatherproof sealant paint
- paint the whole thing in tar/gutter sealer

All words of wisdom gratefully received :D

Plenty of options, but replace would be the smarter option in the long run.
Fully deductable, will enhance or at least maintain value, and will protect the house and tenants from leaks which will surely come back after a bodgy fix.

This from my recent experience with a leaking, tired, metal roof.

Even though it might not be of any visual benefit to the property, it is still something people will look at if you sell ie do THEY have to replace the roof. So, long term, it does add value to the property.

Are you thinking of selling soon? If so then I can understand the desire to avoid a large capital outlay. You might risk the rest of this wet season, sell in winter and you'd probably be fine.

If you are not looking to sell soon, then I would suggest that seriously looking at replacement might be your best bet. That way you avoid issues such as:

- tenant complains of sudden leak and claims damage to their property due to "improperly maintained roof"
- you fix the gutters and fascias, then in a year or so's time you start to notice repeat damage.... certainly shortens the lifespan of those repairs, which ends up = more $$
- tenant lets you know that a small leak has occurred. You have it checked; it ends up being a wider, ongoing leak that wasn't picked up before, which has now rotted out structural supports/trusses etc
- cyclone comes and assists with roof removal

I know it's a big expense, but from the sounds of it, it's a well needed one.

We are going to be in a similar situation in the next couple of years, so I do sympathise. I just don't believe in cutting corners in protecting your property from further damage when it's an inevitable fix (and it sounds like the short-cut option has already been taken once, with the previous "fix").

Back