Second language

but - but - but - you only just finished building that magnificent swimming pool :eek:

Compulsory work or lifestyle choice move?

Over working, so going to live off our dividend/rent/business income for a while.

Selling our PPOR later this year as part of the process. We (I) need to downsize and consolidate my many hats and chill out for a while.

pinkboy

Over working, so going to live off our dividend/rent/business income for a while.

Selling our PPOR later this year as part of the process. We (I) need to downsize and consolidate my many hats and chill out for a while.

pinkboy

Sounds perfect ... we're counting the days until Junior finishes school and we can do the same ... only 5 years, 3 terms and 7 weeks :D ... until then we will grow awesome garlic and wine grapes and be nice to our tenants and make wine products :D

Sounds perfect ... we're counting the days until Junior finishes school and we can do the same ... only 5 years, 3 terms and 7 weeks :D ... until then we will grow awesome garlic and wine grapes and be nice to our tenants and make wine products :D

We are taking Kona (obviously), and she will go into 6th Grade at an English speaking school. Was our top priority where we were going to settle.

pinkboy

I studied French at school, including HSC which I consolidated by travelling with a French Canadian for 4 months, including 2 months in France. Unfortunately unless you actively seek out opportunities or it's related to work you just don't speak French in Australia. It's all in there though & when I'm exposed much comes back. Not that I was ever fluent but I could get around & have basic conversations. It's a (hopefully not pipe) dream of mine to live overseas with J for a year before he starts high school so we may take up French or another language together soon (he's currently 4). I think it's great when people grow up bilingual, so many benefits.

Had no exposure to other languages as a kid, but have reached intermediate German and Spanish after age 40. You're never too old if you are prepared to put the effort in. It's a bit of a myth that children are better language learners.

But an adult will never be able to speak without an accent. An adult may speak and understand fluently, but will usually always sound like a foreign language speaker.

We are taking Kona (obviously), and she will go into 6th Grade at an English speaking school. Was our top priority where we were going to settle.

pinkboy

exciting times, where are you moving to? will your business be run under managemnt or will you bring partners in? best wishes!

have you learnt how to say original or hot and spicy in spanish? :D

exciting times, where are you moving to? will your business be run under managemnt or will you bring partners in? best wishes!

have you learnt how to say original or hot and spicy in spanish? :D

Moving to Santiago, Chile in December.

My brother who already manages most of the business will take over fully. Im sure Ill be doing a few off jobs here and there from what I can do over the phone/email, but the idea is to not have to worry.

Ive investigated, there is definitely KFC there, not sure how to order yet! :D

pinkboy

Im fluent in Drunk, and can understand disorderly.

From time to time I can talk woman, but it usually gets me into more trouble than its worth.

I can follow Russian. Usually enough to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out of it.

Blacky

My brother who already manages most of the business will take over fully. Im sure Ill be doing a few off jobs here and there from what I can do over the phone/email, but the idea is to not have to worry.

pinkboy
Mucha buena suerte. Good luck.

For those interested, www.numbeo.com is a very good site for getting an idea of cost of living comparisons for any two cities- as well as many other indicators like pollution, health care and quality of life indicators. Si it shows consumer prices in Santiago 40% lower than Sydney, and rent 68% lower. Comparison on safety is similar. Health care index is just a little lower.

pinkboy

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Chile? Is it a cheapish place to live and make business income stretch further? Excited for you, best of luck with the adventure!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Chile? Is it a cheapish place to live and make business income stretch further? Excited for you, best of luck with the adventure!

Really deserves it's own thread. I will create one later today. :D

pinkboy

I don't remember Chile being cheap. There are cheaper places in SA for sure.

But a nice place. Santiago. Looking forward to that thread PB. Must be exciting!

Back