Secondary Dwellings (Granny Flats) - Separation

A question for the drafties and planners please - when putting a detached granny flat on a lot, what is the minimum separation from the existing house? I guess having windows or not, cladding etc would effect the distance but what are the basics?
Thanks

There would be no min I would say as long as you don't go disturbing or undermining/waekening footings on the existing house by closely positioned retaining walls, etc. I have seen fully detatched duplex houses in my shire about 1500 apart with the gutters nearly overlapping.

The granny flat code from NSW Planning requires the buildings to conform to BCA. Class 1A buildings have separation requirments based on fire rating and distance, but does a GF next to a house classify as another class 1a or not is where I am stuck. Local council regs govern side boundry setbacks etc, but this I think is more a BCA issue. Thanks for ideas anyhow.

The local council planners will tell you as they are the ones approving - and they will know the code. Go talk with the duty planner, at least - I always try to go to the head planner if possible.

The local council planners will tell you as they are the ones approving - and they will know the code. Go talk with the duty planner, at least - I always try to go to the head planner if possible.

Good points, but working towards compiling development with this one and no Council.

Back