Secret property sale

I heard a story about an architect doing a reno addition for a family in Mosman. It got to the last hurdle when the family pulled out because they could not afford to do the renos, nor to live there any more. When the family went to put the property on the market they put the condition to the real estate agent that no for sale signs be put up. The agent replied that apart from their house and one other, all the other houses on the street are already on the market.

Get a grip. They have no obligation to advise you of their plans to sell.

I agree that they have no obligation to advise me of anything. However, as one human to another, I find deliberate misdirection when I bring up the topic somewhat difficult. It is one thing not to advise me but lies and deception get to me.

I am somewhat annoyed because I feel that I have been deceived and continue to be deceived.

Furthermore, when I bought the house from him two years ago, knowing that it was a battleaxe, I must say that I was partly persuaded to purchase because I thought that he would be a good long term neighbour. I understand that people can buy/sell at any time but still I do not understand the covert manoeuvers going on.

I probably wouldn't tell you anything either based on your nosiness and over concern.

If he thinks you're overfamiliar he could be concerned that you may interfere with the sale, by putting off prospective buyers who may also not like a too nosey neighbour??

It isn't inconsiderate, deceptive or immoral that he isn't telling you anything.

I agree that they have no obligation to advise me of anything. However, as one human to another, I find deliberate misdirection when I bring up the topic somewhat difficult. It is one thing not to advise me but lies and deception get to me.
Sounds like a conspiracy,within a conspiracy,but what deception are you talking about?,,the title is not in your name,you would not know if the property is unemcumbered or not..

I probably wouldn't tell you anything either based on your nosiness and over concern.

If he thinks you're overfamiliar he could be concerned that you may interfere with the sale, by putting off prospective buyers who may also not like a too nosey neighbour??

It isn't inconsiderate, deceptive or immoral that he isn't telling you anything.

Hang on, I think that if your neighbour is continually mowing your lawns, trimming your hedges and then painting your house without any discussion, it is not unreasonable to speculate that something unusual may be going on. Before all this happened, we just had the occasional hellos and g'days as we do with our neighbours. Nothing nosy nor overfamiliar about that.

Furthermore, it is deceptive if he specifically tells me that he is staying around when I have uncovered accidentally that he is actually selling his house.

Painting your house is going a bit far, but the time to object was when the action was taking place.

People have many reasons to sell, and quiet sales are far from uncommon.

It would appear you both are playing games and dancing around the issue.

Next time you see him, why not simply come straight out and say "I see you are selling. I cannot afford the price you are asking, but if you get to the stage where you are prepared to look at offers around $xxx then please let me know."
Marg

Painting your house is going a bit far, but the time to object was when the action was taking place.

People have many reasons to sell, and quiet sales are far from uncommon.

It would appear you both are playing games and dancing around the issue.

Next time you see him, why not simply come straight out and say "I see you are selling. I cannot afford the price you are asking, but if you get to the stage where you are prepared to look at offers around $xxx then please let me know."
Marg

I must say that I did not object to him painting the house. I mean why reject a generous freebie - in fact, I look forward to him doing more free maintenance whilst he is selling his property.

I thought about speaking to him directly but did not want to poke a hole in the charade as clearly he does not wish for me to know and does not think that I know. I can't see how disrupting the charade will help our relationship when he clearly has reasons, unknown to me, as to not wanting me to know that he is selling.

good god, you need to chill out

painting your house is no big deal, maybe it was looking a bit tatty and so he thought it would help his sale if your house looked a bit better. i sold a property last year that was a brand new property in an inner suburb but the neighbours house was run down, we painting his front fence and also cleaned up his front yard as otherwise it would affect our sale

as for deception etc, chill out, it is absolutely none of your business. the way you have completely flown off the handle is probably why he thought it best to leave you completely out of it. if he is not putting a sign up and choosing to list quietly it is obvious he doesnt want people to know he's selling and that includes you

you bought a house on a battleaxe block, you have no right to expect who your neighbour will be

charade, deception, misinformation etc, talk about mountain out of a molehill. youve mentioned he is a good neighbour, you've got free painting and lawn mowing out of the deal, what more do you want? should he get permission from you if he's thinking of swapping from boxers to briefs?

Secret sales are no big deal. Owners will often have them for various reasons which include any of all of the below:

1. Do not want the locals to know that they are selling

2. Do not want the general public to drive past

3. The ability to control when the property is viewed and by whom

4. It may be an unusual property that could take a while to sell so length
of the time on the market is not shown

5. Unwilling to spend money on advertising

An agent would not normally advertise the property through a mailout. In these types of sales they should have a ready data base of thoroughly searched ready to buy clients that they would present to the vendor.

good god, you need to chill out

painting your house is no big deal, maybe it was looking a bit tatty and so he thought it would help his sale if your house looked a bit better. i sold a property last year that was a brand new property in an inner suburb but the neighbours house was run down, we painting his front fence and also cleaned up his front yard as otherwise it would affect our sale

as for deception etc, chill out, it is absolutely none of your business. the way you have completely flown off the handle is probably why he thought it best to leave you completely out of it. if he is not putting a sign up and choosing to list quietly it is obvious he doesnt want people to know he's selling and that includes you

you bought a house on a battleaxe block, you have no right to expect who your neighbour will be

charade, deception, misinformation etc, talk about mountain out of a molehill. youve mentioned he is a good neighbour, you've got free painting and lawn mowing out of the deal, what more do you want? should he get permission from you if he's thinking of swapping from boxers to briefs?

I presumed that you informed your neighbour before painting his house. Otherwise he could be prosecuting you for graffiti and vandalism. I was never informed that my house would be painted.

Secret sales are no big deal. Owners will often have them for various reasons which include any of all of the below:

1. Do not want the locals to know that they are selling

2. Do not want the general public to drive past

3. The ability to control when the property is viewed and by whom

4. It may be an unusual property that could take a while to sell so length
of the time on the market is not shown

5. Unwilling to spend money on advertising

An agent would not normally advertise the property through a mailout. In these types of sales they should have a ready data base of thoroughly searched ready to buy clients that they would present to the vendor.

Yes it is lucky that I am on that agent's database of potential buyers, otherwise I would not have known about anything at all. Otherwise, I would have been treated like a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed BS.

Perhaps they think new owners would build a second storey on to take advantage of the views and dont want you to realise this. I cant believe you didnt tackle him when he started painting your house, I certainly would have asked him what on earth he was doing and why. On the other hand we have a similar problem with a tenanted townhouse we are thinking of selling and will probably evict the tenants to sell, as they might deliberately denigrate the house to prospective new owners for some reason or other

Perhaps they think new owners would build a second storey on to take advantage of the views and dont want you to realise this. I cant believe you didnt tackle him when he started painting your house, I certainly would have asked him what on earth he was doing and why. On the other hand we have a similar problem with a tenanted townhouse we are thinking of selling and will probably evict the tenants to sell, as they might deliberately denigrate the house to prospective new owners for some reason or other

Yes when I saw him painting my house, I still pretended that I did not know what was going on. I wanted to help him preserve his charade that he was just being an exceptionally helpful neighbour. I still don't see the advantage of telling him directly that I know that he is doing a secret sale when he clearly does not wish to tell me - this could upset our harmonious relationship. Nevertheless, I am still perplexed as to his actions and motives.

My instant thought was that he is in some financial position that is highly embarrasing and he doesn't want to go thru all the nitty gritty with his neighbour (whom he has a pleasant and amnicable relationship with).

Could be anything from divorce to gambling to company collapse to being sued to anything that he doesn't want to be questioned by yourself about - so it's easier just to put his head under the rug and hope the problem goes away with as few ripples as possible (as most men do).

Don't stress. Men and women think completely differently in stressful situations - women talk, men clam up - and he is acting completely like a man.

My instant thought was that he is in some financial position that is highly embarrasing and he doesn't want to go thru all the nitty gritty with his neighbour (whom he has a pleasant and amnicable relationship with).

Could be anything from divorce to gambling to company collapse to being sued to anything that he doesn't want to be questioned by yourself about - so it's easier just to put his head under the rug and hope the problem goes away with as few ripples as possible (as most men do).

Don't stress. Men and women think completely differently in stressful situations - women talk, men clam up - and he is acting completely like a man.

Thank you for your thoughts. It is the most reassuring response as yet. I hope that it is as simple as that and nothing more untoward or sinister.

Back