Secret to a better life -> play The Sims

Great article http://abetterlife.quora.com/How-to-master-your-life

I think this applies to so many things, be it fitness, relationships, investing, business, learning new things, etc etc

If it were a game and someone clicked on you and said spend 5 mins a day doing X then you'd start becoming good at X. But in real life we dilly dally around looking at reasons, worrying about what others might think, waiting for things to be perfect rather than 'just' good.

Thoughts?

I agree. When I was a kid playing D&D, I used to spend hours 'building up' my virtual self. Performing mundane tasks to get stronger, smarter, more spells, whatever.

Then when I hit my 20's I thought why not build up my real self - hit the gym, ate healthy, etc. Still learning how to cast spells though :) (although if you can improve your social skills you can weave what some view as magic).

Hence the saying "practice makes perfect"

In theory, sounds simple
But put in practice, some things/activities may take more efforts, time, motivation, energy, time that can we doing other things, etc.... Therefore, often excuses over practice.

Only if it was as simple as a few simple clicks to master the skill of something, as it is in The Sims
I have always been fascinated with the concept of uploading skills into one brain,
(have you not seen The Matrix)
But on the other hand, often it is the journey that counts..
So perhaps, again, in theory sounds good, but put in practice, who knows...

I think this applies to so many things, be it fitness, relationships, investing, business, learning new things, etc etc

If it were a game and someone clicked on you and said spend 5 mins a day doing X then you'd start becoming good at X. But in real life we dilly dally around looking at reasons, worrying about what others might think, waiting for things to be perfect rather than 'just' good.

Thoughts?

I played the Sims once... couldn't find where to get welfare payments when I was starting out on a low income, and later on when I was raking it in, I couldn't find out how to minimise my tax with generous government concessions. :rolleyes:

On a less sarcastic note, the URL was quite a nice read. I wish my life was that simple.

whyzbn.jpg

Because with games there is a known result for your effort. In real life there is no guaranteed outcome for the effort you put in. No real effort is required in the virtual world, other than clicking with one hand and eating chips with the other.
The Article said:
There?s no winning The Sims. Everyone dies. There?s no high score. You live your life how you want, and you alone judge what to make of it as it rolls by. This may sound familiar.
People also don't actually live like this. They worry an awful lot about what other people think and they will be judged.

BR

The Article said:
Play. The. Sims.
Also. On. An. Ever. So. Slight. Deviation. Why. Do. I. See. People. Fail. To. Understand. The. Most. Simple. Elements. Of. Creating. A. Sentence (that was a lot harder to type than I thought).

What is wrong with 'Play The Sims'? To me it would provide a more useful effect. I'm not even old, so I can't be accused of being an old fuddy-duddy grammar nazi. Or perhaps I have hit that time in my life. Maybe it's time to go and get one of those new fangdangled smart phone thingamijiggos so I can check in to bookface with my friends.

BR

Thoughts?

At times i wish I could hit the "3" button and speed up life :D
Then at some point become a mad scientist. :p

Back