Section 32 - "Services" section

Hi all,

We are going to buy a property and I look at Section 32 given to us.
There is a section "Services" there with listing as follows
(Service .. Avail. .. Connected .. Authority):

Electricity .. Yes .. Yes .. Local provider
Gas .. Yes .. Yes .. Local provider
Water .. Yes .. Yes .. City West Water
Sewerage .. Yes .. Yes .. City West Water
Telephone .. Yes/No .. Yes/No .. (nothing listed here)

Could you please advice on the following:

1) Does that mean that we have to start using the listed providers?

If not, and we want to use our preferred providers, does that mean that we will have to "switch" to our provider (so to pay money to the listed provider) even if we have no personal contract with providers listed in S32?

2) I'm confused by the "Local provider". Shouldn't there be a specific name?

I see no former gas/electricity bills. I see only a "Certificate of electrical safety" having a name of a company that did "wiring the unit". So this doc, if i'm correct, is only an evidence that wires were connected and worked properly, so gives no idea who the provider is.
(The house was tenanted so i guess gas and electricity was really there :) )

3) I'm more confused by the Telephone row:
What could Yes/No mean?
Having this, what does the fact of no provider listed mean?

May be you know where can I check the possibility of a telephone connection to the house, say, via Telstra? I heard people can check that via internet, but do not know where to go. Can't find anything at Telstra's web site at the moment.

4) And one more dummy question.
In S32 I see that there was a land which was subdivided and three houses were built on the land. The property we are looking at is one of the houses on the land. That house is called as a "Lot" in many places.

If I buy such "lot", does that mean that I buy not only a building itself but also the land "under it"?

Contract of Sale contains words "Land: The Land is described - in the attached copy title(s); and plans; as (insert title particulars) __Lot #X on Plan of Subdivision blabla__"

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. They are very much appreciated.

PS: I definitely can ask agent about that providers, but would like to understand some things by myself prior doing this, especially it's a weekend now.

Hi all,

We are going to buy a property and I look at Section 32 given to us.
There is a section "Services" there with listing as follows
(Service .. Avail. .. Connected .. Authority):

Electricity .. Yes .. Yes .. Local provider
Gas .. Yes .. Yes .. Local provider
Water .. Yes .. Yes .. City West Water
Sewerage .. Yes .. Yes .. City West Water
Telephone .. Yes/No .. Yes/No .. (nothing listed here)

Could you please advice on the following:

1) Does that mean that we have to start using the listed providers?
You can usually have a choice of providers for Gas, Electricty and Telephone, not sure about water and sewer.

What that is saying above is that Electricity is available, is connected and is supplied by your choice of local supplier, keep in mind that most services are disconnected at settlement, as the vendor no longer needs them and would want a final account. The purchaser would then connect in their name with a provider of their choice.

If not, and we want to use our preferred providers, does that mean that we will have to "switch" to our provider (so to pay money to the listed provider) even if we have no personal contract with providers listed in S32?
Who you use has nothing to do with the previous providers the vendor may have used.

2) I'm confused by the "Local provider". Shouldn't there be a specific name?
They have just said that because whoever wrote the sect32 doesn't need to list them as they were the vendors provider and you have no obligation to continue using them if you have a choice and prefer someone else.

3) I'm more confused by the Telephone row:
What could Yes/No mean?
Having this, what does the fact of no provider listed mean?
I think that is a double up on the answer ie.Telephone is available, but not connected and therefore there is no provider mentioned.

May be you know where can I check the possibility of a telephone connection to the house, say, via Telstra? I heard people can check that via internet, but do not know where to go. Can't find anything at Telstra's web site at the moment.
I would locate it while inspecting the house...ask the Agent to show it to you.

4) And one more dummy question.
In S32 I see that there was a land which was subdivided and three houses were built on the land. The property we are looking at is one of the houses on the land. That house is called as a "Lot" in many places.

If I buy such "lot", does that mean that I buy not only a building itself but also the land "under it"?
This sounds like a development where a block has been subdivided into 3 lots, these usually become known as lot 1 2 or 3 of whatever the origonal street number is. Your not so much buying the building (if you were you would have to relocate it) but buying the land with the building attached to it.

Contract of Sale contains words "Land: The Land is described - in the attached copy title(s); and plans; as (insert title particulars) __Lot #X on Plan of Subdivision blabla__"
This is the legal identifier of the property.:)

Back