Section 32 Wording re Prone to Flooding/Termite Infestation - should we be concerned?

We will be bidding at auction shortly on a property for which we have received the Section 32.

There's a couple of things in there that I haven't seen before, just wondering if they should be of concern??

One is that "a flood level has been determined for this property". So far as we are aware, it is nowhere near a waterway, so not sure how this is possible, but that's what it says. Is this just standard wording??

A little more worrying (for me anyway!) is a document from the local council entilted 'Certificate of Building Permit Particulars' which states 'Yes' under the statement "The land designated as an area likely to be subject to infestation by termites persuant to regulation 803". Does this mean the property has had previous termite infestation? It is a brick house. I would like to get a pest inspection but hubbie thinks this is just stock standard wording and nothing to be concerned about.

I am nervous enough about the auction as it is, now I have something else to worry about, lol!

If there's anyone out there more familar with this stuff than I am, that can let me know if this is anything to be concerned about or not, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi SG

Go to http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/planningschemes/ and check the SBO (Special Building Overlay) for the municipal planning scheme for the area

The SBO generally includes any flood zones / significant fill eg filled creeks or other waterways

Flood Datum Levels if relevant to this particular property should be included in the S.32 - older houses were often build on 1:100 year flood plains but since the advent of planning schemes this is not as common as previously.

Regarding the termites, Australia is a Termite Zone!

However, some areas are more prone to termite activity (eg Dingley Village) than others. A Brick Veneer house is just as yummy to termites as any other house. Termites eat cellulose, and there is plenty of timber in almost any house - once inside, they eat boxes, cupboards, timber framing, timber flooring - anything with cellulose is attractive to termites.

Have a good look under the house if it is up on stumps, or around the weep holes if it is on a concrete slab. Termites love dark, damp, places and will enter a house from behind shrubbery, so if the outside walls have lots of vegetation blocking the sub floor vents, look at these areas for indications of shelter tubes (mud tubes constructed by termites to they can travel above ground for short distances).

Hope this helps. Termites do mega damage to buildings in any area of Australia, but that is their job! They are there to clean up after storms and to tidy up fallen timbers. However, they can't read so they don't realise that timber in our houses is for us, not them.

Cheers!
Kristine

info from Archicentre

Termite prone suburbs, from http://www.archicentre.com.au/html/downloads.html

AN ANALYSIS OF TERMITE DAMAGE IN SYDNEY AND MELBOURNE

Melbourne
The following suburbs and their immediately surrounding areas have a risk factor of
approximately 20%. That is, one in five houses currently have a termite infestation
problem or there is evidence of a pest problem in the past.
Wantirna
Newport
Monbulk
Armadale
Frankston
Greensborough

anyone who built a house in a termite prone area should have taken the correct construction procedures to use timber in the building.

if this has not happened i would be more worried about the other doggie work done on the house.

anyone who built a house in a termite prone area should have taken the correct construction procedures to use timber in the building.

if this has not happened i would be more worried about the other doggie work done on the house.

If a doggie was doing the building work I'd be worried to :p

One way to check on the "flood" problem would be to ask your friendly insurance company for a cover note.

In the '98 flood here, the most high profile flood victim (maybe our second richest citizen) lived on the base of the hill. It wasn't the river, it was water running off the hill which filled his house with mud. A lovely Irishman I know was prompted to comment: In Ireland we build our castles on top of the hills LOL

Back