Secure document destruction

Sim

Administrator
I'm looking for a secure document destruction service suitable for a small business.

I run a paperless office (as much as possible!) where any paper statements, receipts, etc are scanned and stored in digital format. I then store the paper statements in an old paper box (holds 5 reams of paper, about 2,500 pages).

It used to take about 6 months to fill one of these boxes, but these days with more and more documentation being delivered in electronic form I estimate it will take over a year to fill one, which is progress in the right direction at least.

I currently have about 8 of these paper boxes I need to destroy now (20,000 pages), then I'll probably move to a system where each time I fill a box, I'll store it for a few months (just in case) before having it destroyed as well, so ongoing it will likely only be 2,500 pages at a time.

I know there are services who bring a specially fitted out truck to your premises with an industrial paper shredder and they destroy the documents in front of you (doesn't take long apparently). I have no idea how much they cost though and what volume of paper makes them worthwhile - has anyone used them?

I have used a personal office shredder myself, but it was so time consuming to shred paper I never bothered. The reviews I've read indicate that I'd have to spend about $500 on a shredder good enough to rip through a box of paper in short order. Then I need to find space in the office to store it when not in use.

I also know that Officeworks offers a shredding service which costs $3 per ream, however it is not "secure" in that they don't have a system which ensures nobody can read what is about to be shredded - it just sits in a box on the bench next to the shredder until they get to it. They have no reason to go through your stuff, but still - there is generally more than enough documentation in there for someone to steal your identity if they wanted to, so there is a risk. My 8 boxes (40 reams) would cost about $120 to shred if I took them to Officeworks.

Thoughts?

We burn ours and toast marshmallows on the flames. We have sensitive info on our business papers so we don't have much choice....and I like marshmallows.

As a side note - how legit is paperless office? Have you found any organisations that request/demand you have a paper copy (or an original) of something?

Obviously everything will go digital sooner or later, but in the meantime isnt there certain organisations that want things for 3 or 5 or 7 years etc?

I'm going to run into this problem eventually. I store my boxes in my office toilet. Currently the box height is just perfect for sitting the phone down to Somersoft chat while #2. Multitasking. :D

Eventually there will be 'standing room only' conducive to #1's only. Then I'll need this type of service, so will watch this thread over the next (estimate) 8 years!

Ahh, toilet humour! :eek:

pinkboy

I'm going to run into this problem eventually. I store my boxes in my office toilet. Currently the box height is just perfect for sitting the phone down to Somersoft chat while #2. Multitasking. :D

Eventually there will be 'standing room only' conducive to #1's only. Then I'll need this type of service, so will watch this thread over the next (estimate) 8 years!

Ahh, toilet humour! :eek:

pinkboy

You're sitting on the solution:p:p

Officeworks has plenty of shredders - cut me to bits :eek:

A shredder doesn't take up much room in your office (it will sit quite nicely near your bin).

You don't have that many pages to get rid of, do it when it is quiet - might take a 1/2 hour tops.

Try some long term document storage places. I know our local one "Records maintenance and storage' has a huge unit and the cost was minor since it did entire box in one hit.

Officeworks has plenty of shredders - cut me to bits :eek:

Reviews I've read by people who have bought the models that Officeworks sell are pretty much universally negative. There are some good products out there apparently, but Officeworks don't stock them.

A shredder doesn't take up much room in your office (it will sit quite nicely near your bin).

In a home office, space is at a premium.

You don't have that many pages to get rid of, do it when it is quiet - might take a 1/2 hour tops.

20,000 pages will take a lot more than 1/2 an hour to get through with anything less than an industrial shredder.

Sure, once I've made it through the backlog, ongoing shredding will be pretty easy to keep on top of.

Friend of mine would drive boxes of docs to the country, shred them and set them on fire, then soak the ashes in water and bury them.

The shredding and burying seemed a bit redundant though.

Not 100% sure what the laws are relating to starting fires though, so better check with the authorities first!

Don't forget your hard disk probably holds a lot of info if your docs were saved on it, even after formatting.

Don't forget your hard disk probably holds a lot of info if your docs were saved on it, even after formatting.

Yes, I remove all hard drives before recycling the computer - I prefer physical destruction of the media rather than just relying on formatting it.

Back