Security - what can I offer?

Hello,

I've just heard from my PM that my IP was broken into yesterday - the burglar broke a window to get in. I am getting the window replaced now. The tenant has stated they are considering leaving as they do not feel safe. The IP isn't in the best area and these tenants have been unusually good so far. Does anyone have ideas of what I can offer to add to the property to persuade them to stay? I don't want to lose them as I know it won't be quick to replace them and it's very unlikely we'll find another tenant like them within a reasonable timeframe.

Broke the glass? Or broke in through a window by forcing/opening?

Short of bars on every window, you cant prevent glass breakage robberies. Maybe bars/crimsafe on vulnerable windows.

I would say there isn't much you can do about this.

It's simply fear... fear they may not be able to overcome and their answer is to move out. Even if you added private patrols (over top example), they probably still wouldn't want to stay.

In these situations I would either let them leave, or actually ask them what would be required so they stay and feel safe (then decide whether to proceed) rather than waste money on security measures when it might not change a thing.

My tenants had their place broken into while they were on holiday. I told them that I was happy to add what was required so they feel safe. They said they would think about it and get back to me. 6 months later they moved out.

Have a look for one of the monitored alarm systems where you only pay $1/day & no install costs. Then put it back on the tenants at $ 7/wk increase. Make sure that they have a terrestrial phone not mobile & are liable for any call out fees.

Ask the tenant what action/item would make them feel safe in the tenancy and then you weigh up the option of whether you are happy to pay for it.

If you do decide to spend some money, ensure that the tenant is secured on a lease.

Have a look for one of the monitored alarm systems where you only pay $1/day & no install costs. Then put it back on the tenants at $ 7/wk increase. Make sure that they have a terrestrial phone not mobile & are liable for any call out fees.

Did you mean "terrestrial" phone? What is that?

Like others have said ask them what they would want/need to feel safe. Then weigh up your options. Otherwise you could be doing all these things you think they want where all they want is a fake alarm system or there is nothing that would make them feel safe except a property in a different location.

I had a similar issue in one of my places. I paid for some automatic security lighting & encouraged the tenant to get the dog that they had been talking about (I allow pets). I also encouraged the tenants to make friends with the neighbours.

Haven't had any issues since.

I agree with the comments so far. Sadly we do have to deal with this from time to time. We meet with the tenants in our office and discuss it with them. What are the options, if they move what will the "get". If they perceive then will get better security, then we list that as discussion with the landlord.

Often the reality hits during the discussion, it was random, it can happen anywhere, so rather then move to a new place with new problems, lets jointly see how we can fix the problems here.

There are a lot of things available, motion lights, cameras etc.

Meet and discuss, I believe always best option.

Cimbom, same thing happened to one my IP's earlier this year. I fitted security screens to windows. (doors already had screens). Cost $1900..or $1.82 per week less tax & depreciation.. money well spent. Happy tenants.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. We suggested many things such as security screens, a security camera system, etc (and asked if they wanted anything in particular) but they were adamant about moving out. They will be paying a lease break fee and hopefully we can get a new tenant in soon.

If there is still a lease in place would the tenants be able to break lease under these circumstances?

The tenant in slacks creek said that she saw people walking around the backyard with a flash light and suggested i put security screens on all windows.

My P.m told them i had spent enough on the property already,
2 days later they asked if they could instal security screens on windows and doors plus also add sensors at the front and back of the property
I agreed as long as everything that is installed stays after there lease.
Am i being to harsh?

I dont think so.....by them removing them when they vacate it would leave holes etc from where everything was attached.

Just make sure you have it in writing with them signing to accept leaving them behind.

Thanks rixter will double check with the p.m that she has done that :D

Back