See Change and Richard Feynman . let's hype the sydney market thread .

Why do so many people live in Sydney?:confused:

Well not really Sydney, those far away outer suburbs that get so hot in summer and hardly anyone bothers to go to the beach. Fighting traffic, concrete, millions of neighbours.

I simply dont understand it? The big cities are such a magnet but so many live miserable lives there.

Get out to the bush and enjoy things so much simpler, a slower pace, less stress etc.

*****, I should shuddup, sounds good. Forget what I just said.:eek:

I'll ask her tomorrow MsAli.
Ps. I read your interview just the other day. You and monalisa are both smart and savvy. Great work ladies, your two brains combined are waaaayyy more powerful than 1! Keep up the momentum.
Oh btw my colleague is Indian (Punjabi) background so I do understand the appeal of Girraween and Pendle Hill to her.
Cheers.

Ps. I read your interview just the other day. You and monalisa are both smart and savvy. Great work ladies, your two brains combined are waaaayyy more powerful than 1! Keep up the momentum.
Oh btw my colleague is Indian (Punjabi) background so I do understand the appeal of Girraween and Pendle Hill to her.
Cheers.

Thanks Gockie :)

Girraween, Pendle Hill, Toongabbie are good spots - nice and close to Parramatta, as you say a big Indian community, direct train to the city etc.

We love these areas, and think these have potential - given the proximity to Sydney's second CBD.

I don't have a crystal ball - but gut feel is, these areas will continue to do well.

Cheers.

Thanks Gockie. Let us know. We have networks in the region and can hopefully tee her up with an agent that we did our purchase from in the region. We paid market value (may be even 10-15k more than we would have liked) but less than what others would have paid. We purchased the property the night before the property went on the market! At 10pm on a Tuesday night, even though we came home late after office and only just got a call from the agent at 3pm that day about the listing. As you already know agents want serious buyers who are willing to make deals happen.

I reckon anywhere is good between Wentworthville, Girraween, Pendle Hill, Toongabbie (Parramatta council side is nicer).

Thank you for your kind words! Feel we have a longggg way to go!

this is insane...

how much working families in Sydney could afford $1mil properties?
but the funny thing is there is nothing out there under 1mil nowadays.

this is insane...

Don't buy in to the hysteria, there absolutely is, in just about every suburb west of the city.

this is insane...

One of the ways is to start with unit first, then upgrade to townhouse or duplex or buy house with bit of work to do on it....
It is affordable still
Not on beach front but plenty of nice places in Sydney are still way under 1m for starting up

this is insane...

What is insane is what people want when it comes to property - then choose to compare it to what their parents were able to afford, but often omitting certain variables.

For example, parents had a 600sqm block near train line. They want a 600sqm block near a train line. However what they neglect to compare is that the parents had a 3 bed fibro house and they want a 5 bedroom McMansion. Add to that, parents made sacrifices whereas the people complaining about housing prices aren't prepared to make any sacrifices. A

Its always amusing reading the articles in tabloid papers when it comes to "property being expensive"

Its always amusing reading the articles in tabloid papers when it comes to "property being expensive"

You can't deny it has increased though over the last 30 years much higher than wages. Especially in in the major cities. It's good if you are holding and in the cycle. Not so good if you are not.

Terry Ryder has an interesting article regarding FHB.

A NAB survey of residential property markets provides further evidence that media reporting of first home buyer activity is bunkum.

The NAB survey finds that 25% of established homes sold are being bought by first time buyers and that 24% of new homes are bought by first timers.

Some media outlets reported those figures rather nonchalantly last week, without realising the great significance of them. They make nonsense of the data published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), which suggests that first home buyers (FHBs) are as low as 10% of properties sold.

That ABS figure is held up repeatedly by commentators and journalists as justification for the claim that the 'Great Australian Dream' is dead, that we have an affordability crisis and that everyone from local investors to Chinese buyers are to blame for pricing FHBs out of the market.

It has also helped to generate a lengthy, expensive and totally pointless federal government inquiry into the so-called housing affordability crisis. That inquiry, which has been exploited by some politicians as a vehicle for grandstanding and career advancement, is based on a lie: that FHB activity is at an all-time low and it?s all because they can?t afford to buy.

The NAB is right and the ABS is wrong. First time buyers are out there as busy as they ever were. The ABS has been publishing a miscount ? and, what?s more, it knows it. It has admitted that its data on first home buyers is suspect.

I?ve explained why a number of times in this column and so too have other writers on Property Observer. The elimination, by most state and territory governments, of FHB grants for established housing (they now provide grants only for new dwellings) means most FHBs are not being counted any more because they?re not applying for grants.

They?re out there buying but are no longer identified as first timers in the ABS statistics.

Now the NAB survey has put some realistic numbers on first time buyer activity. Its survey suggests that, for established housing, 16% of buyers are first home owner occupiers and 8% are first home investors. For new housing, 16% are first home owner occupiers and 9% are first home investors.

First home investors are those who opt to buy an investment property, rather than a home, as a first purchase. Commonly, these are people who prefer to rent in their suburb of choice and buy an investment property in a cheaper area.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/forward-planning/advice-and-hot-topics/39607-great-australian-dream-is-alive-first-home-buyer-stats-debunked-terry-ryder.html?utm_source=Property+Observer+List&utm_campaign=1c29acfea5-27_January_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a523fbfccb-1c29acfea5-245329113

You can't deny it has increased though over the last 30 years much higher than wages. Especially in in the major cities. It's good if you are holding and in the cycle. Not so good if you are not.

Definitely agree with that point. The increase is significant. I did some quick calcs a while back and taking into account the lower interest rates, higher pay, etc, the shortfall a person needs to pay to maintain an IP isn't too different.

But its the lack of sacrifices some people are willing to make... then whinge. That's amusing :)

So what happens when demand for something far exceeds that of supply?

Especially if it is located where most demand is at!

Think about it.

Its nothing to do with wages.

Even if the median house price hits one million (it's not there yet) that would still mean that half of all houses are priced under one million.

And obviously units are much lower again - the median unit price is about $600K.

Sydney inner-ring property may be 'hot forever', says John McGrath

Economists and property agents are talking up the long-term prospects of properties in inner ring suburbs in Sydney as new figures reveal house prices within a 10 kilometre radius of the city have outstripped outlying suburbs over the past decade.

Suburbs close to the city are becoming so desirable that they will be "hot forever", according to one of the city's most high-profile agents John McGrath.

Although he stopped short of declaring property prices - in those suburbs in a radius roughly 10 kilometres from the city - immune from price falls, the chief executive of McGrath Estate Agents said these areas would always be attractive to buyers because of their proximity to the city, beaches and other lifestyle amenities such as art galleries and restaurants.

"There is just no end of demand from overseas and local buyers who want to live in those precincts," he said.

"There is sometimes a very minor [price] correction for a small amount of time but generally speaking Sydney is becoming a New York. It's a big international city and people want to live in it ... and there's very limited stock available. It's always going to be blue-chip and a market leader."

Nevertheless, Mr McGrath said price growth in the inner ring would lag other suburbs this year because much of it had already "outperformed" other areas.

This is based on the latest data from Domain Group that shows the 10 suburbs with the biggest price growth in 2014 had largely been in the middle and outer rings.

But an analysis by Domain Group's senior economist Andrew Wilson found over the past 10 years the average price of properties within that 10-kilometre radius had risen 71.5 per cent, compared with 48.4 per cent for those more than 10 kilometres out.

AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver said there were always circumstances where inner city prices could fall but any fall would be "short-lived and minor".

"There's still going to be interest rate cycles, recessions, building booms and busts, but ... the impact of them on the inner city suburbs tends to be far less than the outer suburbs," he said.

In decades past, residents left the inner city in droves for the space and tranquility of the suburbs. But since the 1960s, waves of gentrification have transformed many former gritty working-class areas of the inner city, such as Paddington and Balmain, into enclaves only the well-heeled can afford.

Bill Randolph, director of the City Futures Research Centre at the University of NSW, said these changing demographics were largely driven by the shift from manufacturing to "high-end, knowledge-based" jobs. And despite more and more dwellings being built in these areas, the exorbitant prices for houses and apartments in most parts of the inner ring

was creating a divided city.

"The middle and lower incomes are being pushed out of the inner city by and large. That's a global trend and I think here to stay for the foreseeable future," he said.

But Professor Randolph warned the rush to increase density in many parts of the inner city could backfire and make it a less attractive to live in if proper planning was not done.

"Within 20 years we could find ourselves over-densifying parts of our cities and they will become less desirable. We don't have the transport systems at the moment to cope with the sort of density that's planned."

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...orever-says-john-mcgrath-20150130-1314ty.html

Back