Self-managers, would you put up with rude/difficult tenants?

I have a tenant who is rude, disrespectful and generally unpleasant/difficult to deal with. Their attitude seems to be that they are doing me a favour by renting my property eg does not return calls, does not keep their word, pays rent late not because they can't afford it (very high income professional) but simply because it is at the bottom of their priority list, and just generally very condescending and snarky tone. There hasn't been anything major enough to trigger an eviction but its become a constant source of stress. Lease is coming up for renewal and I'm wondering whether I can put up with this. Would you?

The rental market in the area has really slowed down the past few months (Perth city) and winter is generally slow anyway, so it would very likely mean heavily reduced rent and a period of vacancy. Enlisting a property manager is an option I'm considering, though I've been doing fine managing my other properties for the past few years.

I'm interested to know what other self-managers would do with difficult tenants, whether you put up with the BS as long as the money comes in or if you would cut your losses and kick them to the curb?

Apart from the late rent issue (which you should issue notices for if they want to be difficult) - do you need to contact them for much else?

I self manage a few and don't really have much to do with my tenants at all.

If this is causing stress then handing to a pm for 12mths or until they leave sounds like a worthwhile option. While it will cost in pm fees it may still be cheaper than getting new tenants and cheaper in terms of you putting a value on the time you spend worrying.

The rest of my tenants have mostly been really low maintenance. Oddly enough the ones in the lowest socio-economic areas have been the best and I only see them for the odd maintenance issue, routine inspection and to renew a lease. And they never talk down to you even when there is a problem. Its the inner city apartments with the white collar workers causing me the most headaches!

I am probably in contact with this tenant every couple of months for random issues. A lot lately due to late rent. You are right about issuing the notice, I am definitely too laidback as a landlord and need to step up my game.

If this is causing stress then handing to a pm for 12mths or until they leave sounds like a worthwhile option. While it will cost in pm fees it may still be cheaper than getting new tenants and cheaper in terms of you putting a value on the time you spend worrying.

This is a great idea, thank you! I've been burnt in the past by bad pms but I might try one of the more expensive ones recommended on this forum and do my due diligence first. It would probably be worth it for my sanity.

Let them know that lease will not be renewed if they dont get rent payments sorted and issue notices for arrears. See if that snaps them out of it.

Lease is coming up for renewal and I'm wondering whether I can put up with this. Would you?

I'm interested to know what other self-managers would do with difficult tenants, whether you put up with the BS as long as the money comes in or if you would cut your losses and kick them to the curb?

I have had a similar tenant who would consistently be late with rent but it was just tardiness on his part and for some reason he wouldn't use scheduled transfers from his account.

I suggest you put up with it as the Perth market is a little soft at the moment.

However, I would send him a reminder email on the day rent was due (I set reminders in Outlook) which helped sometimes. I also made sure the rent increased at every opportunity (6 monthly).

I was semi happy when he did eventually leave, however, I had to drop the rent significantly to get a new tenant in this soft market.

Make sure you do regular inspections. Suggest to your tenant that he sets up a scheduled payment for rent to avoid any rental breaches as any future Landlord or Agent will likely require a clean tenant reference ..............

Lastly, his attitude is his problem. Just correspond in a courteous but firm manner and as long as he is paying the increased rent let it be.

I've only had tenants do it once and their excuse was that the family members renting their house always paid late. Once I explained to them that was something they needed to sort out and I still need tO pay the bank repayments each month on time they started to pay on time.

Late rent is late rent..issue notices immediately. If you keep letting them get away with it then it is your fault!

Also if you have landlord insurance which covers you for non payment of rent you may not get it paid if it seen that you have been negligent in chasing it up.

Anyway after you serve the notice..they might start paying on time..

Be very firm but fair with them and make sure they know you will not tolerate any tardiness regarding rent payments. Keep everything as written evidence.

The minute they breach, get to work outing them.

Plenty others out there Im sure.

Just a bad attitude from some so called white collar hero in their own lunchtime. They will need your reference one day so remind them of that if push comes to shove.

Document...

Document conversations, and 'rude comments'

If push comes to shove, you will have a record of each event.

Keep a diary, you can look at it and say to yourself 'why did I out up with that?'
or perhaps 'what was all that fuss about?"

sometimes we find out more about ourselves on reflection..

good luck

Thanks guys for the feedback. After considering the current abysmal rental market and expense of a PM, I've decided to stick it out, be more proactive with issuing breach notices and just try to let their poor attitude get to me. As SeafordSunshine said, good opportunity for self-reflection! Still, I will be breaking out the champagne when they leave.

It sounds like you are contacting them by phone. Maybe try texting or emailing instead. I know that I hate using the phone, and if my PM were phoning me every couple of months and asking me to phone them back - ack, another phone call! - it would seriously get on my t*ts. Your tenant may share my view. :)

Back