Self Storage Unit Owners - Beware

G'Day all,
Just thought I'd share an experience.
A guy rings me to rent a 6 x 3 metre self storage unit, I inform him of the rental and ask what it is he wants to store.
He tells me some household furniture and some building materials.
OK deal done, I allocate a storage unit and he supplies his own padlock and keeps the key, standard procedure in this industry.
He pays me 3 months in advance, in cash, I take down all his details including car rego.
anyway 6 months later and no more payments and some returned accounts, I take possession of storage unit and contents.
On opening of storage shed I find it chock a block full of old asbestos cement sheet house cladding.
Car rego turns out to be number plates from a car that hasn't been registered for 5 years and last registered owner knows nothing of the guy that rented the storage unit.
Yes I know I should have checked the rego label and sighted his drivers license, but these matters were overlooked in my haste to put his cash in my wallet.
An expensive lesson learned as this will cost me about 5 times what I got as rental to get this asbestos removed.

Hope that at least others may learn from this.

regards

Jakk

**One doesn't recognise in one's life the really important moments - not until it's too late** - Dame Agatha Christie

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Ouch Jakk!

This guy obviously wanted to "take" you. I remind myself that locks are designed to keep honest men honest. Store security is there to remind honest shoppers to pay for their goods. Professional or determined thieves can normally get what they're after.

You have had a relatively cheap education and I'm sure you'll have a system to prevent it happening again. Jeez that sounds so sanctimonious!

Ummm. Is three months in areas before occupation standard for your access?

Just because industry standard is to not have a key does it really represent an obstacle to your customers to insist on a copy?

Good luck

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Reply: 1.1

G'Day Paul,

3 months in arrears is not the norm, its just that I hesitated to take action sooner as I was unable to make any contact with the guy.
I also had other similar size areas vacant so it wasn't like I was missing out on income and I thought I would allow more time for this guy to re appear with a view of collecting further rental.
Had I have had nothing vacant and demand was there for that unit, I would have acted a lot earlier.
The key issue is very psychological with most of the punters, they feel if they are the only ones holding the key, then their property is more secure.
Mind you the only key I need is in the shape of a HUGE bolt cutters that I have that cuts through any padlock, with ease in a second.

Yes, we live and learn.

By the way, you wouldn't be interested in some very cheap house cladding, would you?

regards
Jakk

**If physical exercise reduces the body, what must mental exercise do to the brain? - P.K. Shaw

Reply: 1.1.1

I tend to invest in unclad houses and/or strata units Jakk, but thanks for the offer anyway.

I guessed bolt cutters were your skeleton key, but they leave evidence of your midnight visits through their undies drawer.

The psychology is important. How can you turn the idea of giving you a copy of the key into a win for them?

While I'm not interested in the cladding I may be interested in your storage biz.

Regards and good luck

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Back