Sell car privately ? or sell it to "cash for cars"

Hi

I bought another car and I need to get rid of my Hyundai excel 1996. It has been fine the last few years except it runs sluggishly. About a week ago the gears started to give me trouble. They stick going into first and third sort of get stuck making it quite dangerous to drive. I never did end up taking it to the mechanic to see what the problem was and what it would cost to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?? Anyway I figured after nearly 18 years & 147,000 km it was time to move on and upgrade.

The car yard where I bought my new car said they wouldn't do a trade in as it's not worth anything and they recommended selling it privately. Ive been looking at gum tree at similar cars. Mine has done a lot less km but I'm starting to think I'm not even going to bother to try to sell it privately as I'd be lucky to make $200 I think. The only thing mechanically wrong with it is the gears. The rest is all cosmetic (looking very worn out) and the air con doesn't work, no passenger side lock.

I think my best bet is ringing cash for cars. They'll give me cash
and use the car for spare parts. At least it's cheaper than forking out $120 for a tow truck to get it crushed.

But just out of curiosity how much would it cost for a new gear box or fluid??

Anyway I'll give cash for cars a call

Thanks

I had an old 91 Barina that died a slow and horrible death. I ended up calling a car wreckers to take it away and thought I would either have to pay, or they'd just remove it at their own expense with no cost from me. They turned up, loaded the car and gave me $500.

May be worth looking in to as you may get something for it.

I had an old 91 Barina that died a slow and horrible death. I ended up calling a car wreckers to take it away and thought I would either have to pay, or they'd just remove it at their own expense with no cost from me. They turned up, loaded the car and gave me $500.

Wow $500!! That's amazing. I think I'd be happy even with $200.

Ok I'll give cash for cars a call. I think this is the way to go.

Chuck it on ebay with a description.

I'm amazed at what some things sell for.

Actually, does it have rego? If so I know someone who has just arrived from the UK and is looking for a cheap runaround.

I recently sold my wifes hyundai excel that was unregistered and leaking coolant badly for $250 on gumtree. Got about 10 messages saying they would give me $50 but within 6-7 hours I got a call from someone who came over the next morning and bought it. Mine had 250,000kms

I suggest putting it on gumtree for $500(if it still has rego then maybe more) and see if anyone is interested, it is a free ad and only takes a few minutes to make. If no interest then just create a new ad a week later for a cheaper price

$500 is big money for salvage stuff. Must be no scrap up your way.

From the towies I know they usually offer $200 for a wreck and will take it away no charge.

You would be better of just sticking it on gumtree. Don't advertise the problems with it though. Just list it for $500-$1000 someone will buy it.

Before someone jumps on me and says DISHONEST! Yeah it is but people know at that level to expect a problem or two, no point giving them amunition to haggle.

Back