Selling IP - Ad just isnt right!!

Ok so how much importance do we place on an internet ad when selling a property?
I am a photographer and so obviously place a lot of importance on the photos. We are in Melbourne and the house we are selling is in QLD so i have not been able to take pics.
Its only a little 2 bedder but the pics the agent has taken are nothing short of pitiful.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=10047993&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1228870959

Also, the copy has had no thought put into it and just sounds bland.

Am i being too fussy or should i get the agent to go back and take a straight facade pic and spruce up the copy? (they have also missed 1/4 the house in the shot and missed a carport and picket fence GRRRR)

WDYT?
Thanks!

Its typical RE stuff...boring photos, boring copy. They generally dont know how to market properly.

The copy is only descriptive, its not selling a thing. And the photos are very average.

I would ask for better (i have) and/or supply him your own pics and copy. (i have)

One of our local REAs is like this. I like to look at their adverts and laugh at the spelling errors and blurry photos of the ceilings in the houses they have for sale. Problem is they so rarely put the ads online there isn't much to laugh at. I figure they must be very cheap, they always list the crappiest houses.

We look at realestate.com.au and see the "90% of houses for sale in australia!" blurb and just want to follow it with "and the other 10% are listed by JR!"

Original country cottage residence located on a large size block of [xxx ] square metres, encompassing two full size bedrooms, both with BIR’s, spacious separate living/dining room, accentuated by original [Tasmanian oak] floorboards and air-condtioning.

Leading onto a functional yet spacious U-shaped kitchen, with concealed laundry, leads out to idyllic Queensland garden setting for her, a fully powered garden shed for him.

Comes with carport, close to all local amenities, [list a few key ones eg public transport, schools, activity centres].

Suitable for both owner occupier or investor alike. Scope to renovate as required or live comfortably as is.

This is my first go at re-writing the ad. The [ ] will require you to add or correct some additional information.

The photos should accentuate the back garden, maybe during the evening if there are garden lights. The pics of the rooms should show the size. The quality of the pictures seems a bit low. Looks like they were taken from a mobile phone.

Thank you!! That is fantastic! i did have an attempt at writing something but didnt know where to start thank you!!! Yes i am very upset at the low quality of the pics especially since they didnt even take the main shot straight!

I am getting a friend to go around tomorrow to take some pics, i hate it being out of my hands as i shoot houses for living and dies when i saw them!!

You need to include the benefits of the features, not just the features themselves in your copy.

eg 1: impress your friends with a great dinner party in the beautifully spacious kitchen & dining room.

eg 2: Imagine your kids happily playing on the huge, grassy rear yard while you & hubby sit on the deck with a cold drink.

Paint a picture for the reader.

It might sound a bit corny but it works. It sells.

You first need to have an idea who might be buying the place (your market) and then appeal to them in your copy.

If its investors you wouldnt bother with the blurb above.

What is the last pic actually of? Is it the back yard? gee...

This is my fluffing of the description.. might be a bit over the top.. i can get a bit carried away, usually need another agent to come in and cull some of my descriptions :) :)

This fantastic country cottage awaits a new owner to love her!

Currently tidily presented the cottage has a functional floorplan and original features such as the polished timber flooring and traditional picket fence and is ready for you to come and add your own personal touches without the need for major renovations.

Both bedrooms are oversized and could easily accomadate queensized beds and there is plenty of storage in the large built in robes.

The current kitchen is still in excellent condition and features a functional U-shape design. The laundry has been cleaverly concealed in a neat hide-away cupboard.

The man of the house will be right at home in the powered garden shed, without having to worry about the car - which will be neatly tucked away in the carport.

Your green thumb will enjoy the gardens that surround the home. Close to all the local facilities including shops and transport, this cottage would make a great first home or popular with tenants and low maintenance investors are sure to be impressed!

We are going to be renting out or PPor as an IP from the 20th of Dec.

I have been so annoyed at the adds I see for properties (Fish eye lens)etc :eek: that I went and took my own photos and sent them to the RE.

He listed the house on the 1st and with in 2 days we had people through and 1 has signed ready to move in on the 20th... So very happy.

I hope your friend can take some really good picture of the property so it sells fast for you. :)

Thank you!! That is fantastic! i did have an attempt at writing something but didnt know where to start thank you!!! Yes i am very upset at the low quality of the pics especially since they didnt even take the main shot straight!
Or make sure each photo is in focus!
Lucky you have a friend in the area who can help out.

You need to include the benefits of the features, not just the features themselves in your copy.

eg 1: impress your friends with a great dinner party in the beautifully spacious kitchen & dining room.

eg 2: Imagine your kids happily playing on the huge, grassy rear yard while you & hubby sit on the deck with a cold drink.

You first need to have an idea who might be buying the place (your market) and then appeal to them in your copy.

If its investors you wouldnt bother with the blurb above.

Yes I have to agree with what Evand says here. You need to sell the sizzle not just the sausage (trite saying but true).

If I ever sell a property I will take the photos and write the ad myself. I think I could do a much better job and I have a vested interest in it being as good as it can be.

Take this post as a disraceful generalisation by a Victoria but..... why is it that every (ok, ok, no all, but "many") ad's I see for Queensland property typically have photos which:

1. look like they have been taken on a low res mobile
2. are of dark rooms - no lights, and often curtains drawn (could this be because of your climate, and bright rooms = hot rooms? I tend to associate dark rooms with damp/cold)

Many Victorian ad's go the opposite way, with fabulous looking photos taken at twilight, lights blazing, with super wide angle lenses that make rooms look ten time bigger - only for the potential buyer to turn up in broad daylight looking at a tiny dump.... :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

Whilst I generally agree with your comments, I personally detest the underlined part when I see it in adverts. Turns me off immediately. Am I unusual?

Which bit turns you off? The 'impress your friends' part?

It was only an example off the top of my head as i was typing.

Whilst I generally agree with your comments, I personally detest the underlined part when I see it in adverts. Turns me off immediately. Am I unusual?

Yes, exactly that part. I always cringe when I read that, because it just annoys the dickens out of me. And it seems to be used quite often.

Have to admit though that my thinking is clouded by living near to one of the most obnoxious families around. Their sole purpose in life seems to have everything bigger, better, newer, more expensive, smarter (you get the idea) than any other family. Nauseating really.

When I read these ads I think of this family and want to either puke or laugh myself silly.

When I sold my townhouse I actually paid (think $250) for professional shots, that were pretty ordinary, but the one that really got my goat was the front view which included so much of the townhouse in the other street you would have thought it was sitting on the roof. In actual fact this townhouse isnt that noticeable but I thought people wont even come to have a look with that overshadowing the whole place. We did our own which was hysterical. I hung a potplant on a stick over the back fence so that it blotted out the other townhouse and when we had a look at the photo (thank goodness for digitals) you could see my whole hand and broomstick, we nearly fell off the chair in hysterical laughter. Redid it again though and it came up a treat. You have to look after your own interests, as they really dont care that much

Back