Selling - marketing

I wouldn't bother with paper advertising unless the place was something special/unique/top end.

I'd only pay for print media if I was going to get a buyer that was not actively looking for a place.

I initially thought about ignoring the newspapers, but ultimately, it comes down to just not knowing where people will look.
Serious/committed buyers look online.

I rarely look in the paper, but go straight to the internet. I know people without internet who only use the papers. I know some people will see houses in the local paper but who never use Courier Mail. I always look at my local paper, every week. Will that type of person be looking at the house we have to sell?
Seriously? There are people without internet, or access too it when absolutely necessary? Do you think the buyer will turn up in a FJ Holden with a boot load of pounds and shillings?

I browse the local paper and the Courier Fail, but I'm looking at 'trophy' style houses with full pages. I skip the tiny little ads. The odd one works. I'm very happy with my home, but for instance that converted water tower (I think you posted it here) that sold recently really caught my eye.

Are we wasting our money by using print media? Possibly, but like many other things, there is no way to ever know.

I hate paying for print adverts, but if we ignored it totally, knowing some people still do use print when house hunting, we would just always wonder "what if"?
The CM's been running ads saying print as well as online get's something like 5% more than just online. I question the 'research', but perhaps they're right.

I wouldn't bother with paper advertising unless the place was something special/unique/top end.

I'd only pay for print media if I was going to get a buyer that was not actively looking for a place.

The problem is you don't know where you buyer will come from. I truly don't think our buyer will come off print media, but I want to cover all bases, so that is what we are running with. We are gambling with a couple of grand for the print media, but that could repay itself many times over if that is where our buyer comes form.

I kind of see it like paying for insurance.

Serious/committed buyers look online.

Seriously? There are people without internet, or access too it when absolutely necessary? Do you think the buyer will turn up in a FJ Holden with a boot load of pounds and shillings?

I guess one of the drivers for us is that I know a buyer, looking right now, who is aged about 60, who uses the paper. She has no internet, no mobile phone. She will buy a house from the newspaper.

She is unusual, yes, but she is a buyer.

I browse the local paper and the Courier Fail, but I'm looking at 'trophy' style houses with full pages. I skip the tiny little ads. The odd one works. I'm very happy with my home, but for instance that converted water tower (I think you posted it here) that sold recently really caught my eye.

The CM's been running ads saying print as well as online get's something like 5% more than just online. I question the 'research', but perhaps they're right.

The other thing I know about me is that one day my mother came over (she was babysitting my brothers kids) so my brother's kids could play with mine. We looked through the local paper and saw there was an auction on site and we went for a walk with five little kids and our dog. We bought that house. We were not looking to buy a house, but knew the street well and just went to watch the auction. It was so cheap, we bought it. Without the local paper, we would not have gone to that auction, would have missed a cracker investment.

I also suggested my parents take a look at a house I had seen in the local paper. Mum and Dad bought that house. They actually weren't looking for a new house, but they fell in love with it, via the local paper and a passing comment from me about coming with me and taking a look at it.

I want to catch someone like me, who looks primarily on the net, but who might glance at the local paper and make a snap decision, or catch the buyer like me when we took the kids, and not be actively looking, not even know I want to buy a house, but glancing through the local paper think "I'll look at that" or "I've always wanted to see inside that house" and end up buying it.

I've bought on the spur of the moment like that, and I don't want to risk someone seeing our house who might not even know they want to buy it until they read the paper. Probably won't happen, but surely I'm not that unusual in buying a house on a whim?

Back