Selling our PPOR in Newcastle

... oops ... might have been a bit quick off the mark. Price was negotiated post-auction and agreed upon. Real estate rang to say buyer wants to check one last thing that was on the building report before signing this afternoon ... so (don't think it) ...

Buyer still keen and are signing contract either today or tomorrow ... buyer wanted his solicitor to look over the "standard" auction contract, and solicitor okayed it yesterday.

I guess, those of us that buy and sell several times a year forget how daunting it can be for someone who only does it several times a lifetime.

We didn't quite get as much as we wanted - but for the sake of a few thousand on a mill+ property, it enables us to move on ... wherever that may be! Also have to remember that we are buying and selling in the same market, so being cashed up will give a real bargining power for a good deal

Awesome Lizzie. Completely forgot your auction was on on the weekend otherwise I would have gone for a sticky :p

Good luck with the house hunting.

Good luck with the house hunting.

When I know what state - or even country - we'll be in I'll start hunting.

No - tell a lie - already have properties found in Perth, NZ and Newcastle ... just in case ... :D ... can't help myself.

Last edited:
Arrrgh - spoke to soon.

After loving the house, negotiating a price, making appointment to exchange contracts - they are now trying to now reduce the agreed price and dragging the exchange out (as is apparently common to their particulat ethnic background).

Deadline set of Friday night or back on the market Saturday.

Ah well - whatever will be, will be ... things happen as they are meant to for a reason. We don't "have" to sell and we can't make them buy.

Silly me - after all these years I should know that nothing is sold until exchange takes place. Was just too excited after the rollercoaster of the last few weeks.

Last edited:
Congratulations Lizzie! What a relief. Who ended up buying? The original buyers?

Thanks goodness not ... or the couple that stuffed us around the second time.

This is a lovely "australian" family who are buying the house because they love it's feel.

After loving the house, negotiating a price, making appointment to exchange contracts - they are now trying to now reduce the agreed price and dragging the exchange out (as is apparently common to their particulat ethnic background).
They wanted to bargain on the price? How dare they
Would you be any different?

This is a lovely "australian" family who are buying the house because they love it's feel.
What is "Australian"
And whats with your ethnic background comment? I have an ethnic background and I am Australian.

It sounds like you've been dealing with those damn English foreigners.

What is "Australian"
And whats with your ethnic background comment? I have an ethnic background and I am Australian.

Asians are the best at bargaining/haggling, I went to the mkt today to get some fish, and there were some there haggling down the price of fish. Good on em i say

What is "Australian"

Congratulations, but I too must admit your post IS racist.

Back