Selling our PPOR in Newcastle

Stating that a particular trait or custom is common isn't being racist.

In this case the custom was to haggle the price down. This is expected in many countries and is part of doing business.

Thanks for the congrats.

Nope - the reneg-ers and muck-around-ers were not Asian or English! I don't mind a bit of haggle myself ... but, to me, once an agreement has been reached and agreed upon (and legally under auction conditions) I don't appreciate mucking us around, lying and coming back and trying to haggle further for an extensive discount.

It does not make me racist to point out that certain cultures operate differently to long standing Australian cultures and understandings of how to conduct business.

It is not right or wrong if both parties understand that a contracted agreement is "only the beginning" or the barginning process - rather than end, as we are used to in Australia.

My "word" is important to me as part of my integrity and self-respect. Sometimes I forget it is not important to others.

I wonder if this type of thing is more common now??

Friends only recently had people cool off on their house - the agreed price being 20K under the asking price.

After the buyers cooled off they contacted the agent and want to renegotiate and offered another 40K off the price on top of the 20K :eek:.

They then offered less till they got rejected at 40K off the total price.

Apparently the agent thinks someone got in their ear and told them they should have asked for a bigger discount, because the buyers appeared to think what they were doing was quite acceptable.

Anyway the house didn't sell. Personally I don't think an extras 20K off would have made too much difference to these friends (just under 800K house), but they didn't like their attitude and stated they'd rather give the discount to people that don't muck you around.

Those buyers who mucked you round might have been on Somersoft asking for some tips on how to get a good deal on a purchase.

You mean mucked my friends around. Or are you talking to lizzie?

I would have recommended a bigger discount in the first place, NOT after cooling off. 20K is hardly a discount on a 780K house, but geez, anyone being an out and out PITA deserves to lose out.

Anything goes when it's legal, but p*** people off too much and things back fire too (assuming they really liked the place because they were prepared to buy it at close to asking price).

I wonder if this type of thing is more common now??

Friends only recently had people cool off on their house - the agreed price being 20K under the asking price.

After the buyers cooled off they contacted the agent and want to renegotiate and offered another 40K off the price on top of the 20K :eek:.

They then offered less till they got rejected at 40K off the total price.

Apparently the agent thinks someone got in their ear and told them they should have asked for a bigger discount, because the buyers appeared to think what they were doing was quite acceptable.

Anyway the house didn't sell. Personally I don't think an extras 20K off would have made too much difference to these friends (just under 800K house), but they didn't like their attitude and stated they'd rather give the discount to people that don't muck you around.

Not new have had places under contract and asked for a few thousands discount because of some cosmetic problem or bath not sealed etc

Hmmmm....I can't recall the English operating in line with the original inhabitant's laws or customs.

Isn't it funny....that people mention that they are not racist....BUT.......

Lizzie.....being an naturalised Australian I have some advice for you. Learn to celebrate the difference or immigrate. Just because you were born here does not make you a better citizen.

When it comes to negotiating about money....there are no hard and fast rules.....

This is the sort of rubbish ...which is making Australia a laughing stock around the world.

It does not make me racist to point out that certain cultures operate differently to long standing Australian cultures and understandings of how to conduct business.

It is not right or wrong if both parties understand that a contracted agreement is "only the beginning" or the barginning process - rather than end, as we are used to in Australia.
We live in a global society now. As much as some people dislike change, it's something you need to get used to. Doing business is exactly that, doing business. It doesn't matter what your background is.
And why does ethnic background need to be brought up? You're simply stereotyping them in a way that is not necessarily a true reflection of that ethnic group as whole. This mentality of judging all by the actions of some is what causes so many negative views in the world and leads people to judge others by the he says, she says bs rather than basing their judgement on the individual merits of person. Why does their negotiating tactic have to be based on their ethnic group, isn't it just a good tactic to get them a better price?

This is the sort of rubbish ...which is making Australia a laughing stock around the world.

We're not the laughing stock of the world, the world is beating a path to our doorstep.

While I was in Italy recently on holidays the BBC world news heavily featured the story of the wooden cross that the Aussie vietnam vets recently recovered.

I may have the story wrong, but the battle was fierce and losses heavy on both sides. After the battle the Aussies went back and raised a wooden cross as a memorial to the bravery and honour of ALL soldiers who fought there.

Back