Selling property without using an agent

I have a property that I'm considering selling and wondering if I should sell it myself. With Agent I could potentially make a small gross profit but without the expense of the real estate I could increase that a lot ? I realise an agent could get a better price (potentially) but I have no urgency to sell just looking at an opportunity to move a negatively geared property into a profit opportunity allowing me to invest in something more profitable.

Has anyone sold their own property before - how did you get around RE.com not allowing private buyers to advertise? How did you advertise?
All thoughts, concerns and ideas appreciated.

I have a property that I'm considering selling and wondering if I should sell it myself. With Agent I could potentially make a small gross profit but without the expense of the real estate I could increase that a lot ? I realise an agent could get a better price (potentially) but I have no urgency to sell just looking at an opportunity to move a negatively geared property into a profit opportunity allowing me to invest in something more profitable.

Has anyone sold their own property before - how did you get around RE.com not allowing private buyers to advertise? How did you advertise?
There are agent assisted websites that will get you on the web portals such as realestate.com.au

If you target the portals and do signage properly you are pretty much there for exposure to your potential market, other than that it's a case of knowing what the basics are and doing them at least as well as your potential agent. Signage and professional photos and appropriate staging could be money especially well spent.

Also don't forget to value your time and opportunity cost when you are weighing up the cost benefit scenario.

Hey Cathy :D

http://www.buymyplace.com.au/

We've used this company a few times now to sell privately. Very important to get high quality photos and a good well-written copy ad, but highest priority needs to be given to qualifying buyers and obtaining the best price possible. Best of luck!

Hi Chockadoo,

Learning to effectively sell such a high value asset could be an excellent skill for you to acquire. It'll give you confidence when it comes to selling and buying other high value items like a car or another investment. Selling a property is not to be underestimated though, it's a huge undertaking with many pitfalls.

The thing you really need to weigh up is how much do you know about selling real estate now, and how much effort is required to get you up to the skill of an agent who you can pay to sell it for you.

Some of the questions that spring to my mind are:
Are you able to accurately price your property?

Do you have a team around you such as a conveyancer?

Are you able to get the buyer you're looking for by advertising on Buy My Place that has a tiny % of internet traffic when compared to Domain, RealEstate and REView?

Are you available to hold all of the open inspections and private viewings within working hours?

If you find a buyer that has the money you're looking for do you have the skills to negotiate them up to the price you want; are you able to control your emotions?

Do you think that the result will justify all of the time, effort, outlay you'll put into selling the property?

If you're unsure about any of these don't worry, you can learn the skills as long as you're determined enough. The reward of-course will be the extra profit by saving the fees associated with professional help...

Here's how, in my opinion, you should weigh it all up and get started:

1. Set a goal and make it specific. Use the SMART method (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely).

In this case it may be "I would like to sell my property by X date, for $Y solely by myself"​

2. Identify and list all of the sub-goals you need to complete to achieve the main goal. An easy way to come up with these subs is by turning your goal into a question... "How do I sell my property by X for $Y?" and then writing at least 25 answers to the question. You must write at least 25; it's not easy but if you can't think of that many you're not trying hard enough.

Sub goals may be "take professional looking photos" or "negotiate a potential buyer up by 10% of his/her initial offer". Make these sub goals a little out of reach so you can achieve them but will have to work/learn towards them.

3. Once you've created your list, order them by sequence and priority. A good method is to use the A,B,C + 1,2,3 Method. Often priority (the tasks that give you the most bang for time/buck) is different to sequence.

4. Now that you have everything you need to do and learn written down and their respective priorities, set aside the time required for each activity (such as "mid week open inspection 45minutes @ 2pm on Wednesday") and execute each in their pre-determined order.

5. Move steadily towards your goal, if you don't meet your deadlines don't worry just assign a new deadline, after all they're guestimates. You can't fail as long as you stick to the plan. Along the way you'll have to read information, watch instructional videos and talk to professionals to obtain what you need in the fastest manner possible.

If you think the reward of the extra $$ and the skills/knowledge learnt will be greater than the time saved and result (minus expenses) that you've achieved through an agent then you should definitely sell your own home.

If you do choose to do this I'd also recommend some books to read before you get started:

a) The First 20 hours - Josh Kaufman
b) No Excuses - Brian Tracy

There are also some good reads on selling RE I'm happy to suggest when you're there.

Cheers!

I'm a bit confused here. What has an agent got to do with negotiations and getting the best price?

An agent just passes offers to vendor and then relays the vendors reply to the buyer dont they?

I've never negotiated with an agent though not been in the game long so maybe missing something here

I'm a bit confused here. What has an agent got to do with negotiations and getting the best price?

An agent just passes offers to vendor and then relays the vendors reply to the buyer dont they?

I've never negotiated with an agent though not been in the game long so maybe missing something here

I'm no agent lover, but to be fair, a good agent will get the vendors price up a little with the right words.

I have bought and sold without using an Agent a few times. Mainly when it didn't matter whether I bought or sold that particular property.

The last house I bought was through an advertisement placed by these people on behalf of the vendor http://realestateyourway.com.au.

They place the property on realestate.com.au on your behalf but you handle all enquiries and negotiating. You have to show people through and handle the entire sale. You would need to have the equivalent of a S.32 available etc.

Chris

I have sold a house myself and found the whole process was well worth it.

We saved about $11500 in selling fees and the house sold within a month.

We had the house valued and I knew my suburb like the back of my hand so I knew what price to put on it.

There are some websites like www.realprivate.com that only charge about $300 and you get listed on realestate.com.au as well.

Try selling your house using Facebook

I recently at a try at selling my using Facebook & twitter.
What it did was create a facebook page for my house with a nice photo of the front as the cover image.
I did also list it on a few private sale websites.
I ended up getting about 50 likes on my page. I got the responses from Property Booster website.
Here is a link to my listing if anyone wants to take a stickbeak (not sure if its still online - it was at the start of the year).

http://propertybooster.com/?_1_Sample-Street_Bondi-Beach_New-South-Wales_2026_AUS

I recently at a try at selling my using Facebook & twitter.
What it did was create a facebook page for my house with a nice photo of the front as the cover image.
I did also list it on a few private sale websites.
I ended up getting about 50 likes on my page. I got the responses from Property Booster website.
Here is a link to my listing if anyone wants to take a stickbeak (not sure if its still online - it was at the start of the year).

http://propertybooster.com/?_1_Sample-Street_Bondi-Beach_New-South-Wales_2026_AUS

Something I don't understand with social media. Who cares if you got 50 likes, did it sell?

Back