Selling Subdividable IP to Pay Down Mortgage on New PPOR?

We're about to build a new PPOR which will add around 500k to our mortgage. We're also about to have bub number two and my partner and I would like to work three days per week until the kids go to school (of course plans could change). The reduced salaries will decrease our borrowing capacity.

We have five IPs - two that we've recently built that have a good rental return and good depreciation, two older properties (with negative equity), average returns and very little depreciation left and one property that's breaking even, but has been rezoned so it is now a five (potentially six) unit site.

The rezoned property has about 200k equity. Since that property is now breaking even, there are no tax benefits to be had. Originally we were holding to subdivide and build, however because of our reduced income and larger PPOR mortgage, I doubt we'll have the income or borrowing capacity to achieve this in the next five years.

Therefore, I'm thinking of selling the rezoned property and paying down the PPOR. We could then get a LOC against the PPOR to buy another investment property, thereby shifting our non-deductable debt to deductable debt.

We're also waiting on land titles for the two newer properties. When they come through, we'll probably see a broker to untangle our cross collatorisation mess we're in.

I think selling the rezoned property to pay down the PPOR is the right thing to do, but I have it in my head (and due to past experience)....'never sell property'.

Thoughts...

Would it be worth selling to one partner? When my first born was about 6onths old my hubby got laid off for a couple of months. Our Ppor repayments were about $50/week and we had no investments. His workmates that got laid off with young families and high mortgages were really stressed. We had a lovely time. If you do end up selling to have a better quality of life you can always make it up later.

start small and work your way up. I know a guy who bought a house with a massive mortage and was paying huge weekly payment, just to have the lifestyle, i'd buy small house with a small loan and use equity off each one, makies owning your house much easier

I'd talk to an accountant and get some advice because there could be some good sense to sell the deve block next financial year when your incomes are reduced and therefore less cgt.

Reducing your exposure to spend time with the kids is a decision that is best made by you and Hubby. In 5 years time you after this hiatus you can go had again if you want.

Sometimes it makes sense to sell.

Just do the calculations on the costings to sell and the costings to buy a new property later. And then work out what you will save in non dedutible interest by paying down the PPOR loan.

You may be able to improve the structure of the next purchase too

Back