Selling the Businesses

I've mentioned briefly in another thread, that after seven years hard slog, I will be selling the Subway stores.

I have now had agreement from two parties on a price for each store, and now it's really up to Subway to accept or reject the prospective purchasers (they do reject many of them). Even if accepted, it could take a number of months before the transfer takes place.

Kristine asked me a question- sorry Kristine for the slow response.

Kristine said:
So - after all the hard work, and taking into account the salary you were earning back then, and the (lost) increase in value to the Flats since you sold them to put the money into the businesses, has the experience been financially worth while?

Emotionally, I am sure that you have been personally enriched by the experience (I had the child care centre for 5 years, remember, and the retail store for 5 years after that ... we don't need to spell out how difficult some businesses really are on the day to day basis - but are you actually ahead financially for the 7 years work?
Well, I think I am but it's hard to tell. I may well have been better off being at my (much) higher paying job for that time, and buying more property. I have been drawing a very low wage for that time. But that has meant that I have learnt to spend a lot less on doodads. I suspect that by now I would have had a lot more doodads and a lot less cash than I will have had otherwise.

Although I will have enough to have a modest retirement, I am not yet ready to be put to pasture. And I guess I'd like a little more (not a lot more) than a modest retirement, when the time comes. My parents retired in their early 50s (I'm 57) and I don't see myself sitting around like they did.

Financially, I think my daughters will be much better off than they would have otherwise, because of their attitude to money. They have worked in the Subway stores since we started in them. The younger daughter was 11 at the time, so she especially has had an opportunity that many others have not. They have both learnt a lot from the experience. Now that I am dealing with so many Gen Ys I am seeing that many of them lack so many life skills. I have a very high drop out rate with employees who have been brought up in Australia. My daughters know so much more than many of their peer group about working well for an employer- I have always been a little bit firmer on them as employees. We see this even more, as we struggled to put them through private school- and many of their peers are extremely well off. Our girls, unfortunately for them, are (even now) going to have to buy their own cars, unlike many of their friends.

I was in IT before this, but I was mostly just a programmer. I was very good at my programming role, and I always wondered if my ability in this role held me back from any management role. Well I guess I've been able to prove to myself that I can perform a management role OK.

For seven years I've worked quite hard. I miss the IT world I came from. It would have been nice to get back into it, but that's going to be a bit difficult. I'm not quite sure what sort of work I would be able to get into now. I don't need a big wage like many of my age group. Just a fair wage. But I am looking forward to having weekends, evenings and holidays. I may well take a few months off between exchange and starting something else. A little travel would be nice, if possible.

Well, I think I am but it's hard to tell. I may well have been better off being at my (much) higher paying job for that time....

How about if it was for the same number of hours worked Geoff?

But as with many things, it is about the experience not the $ is it not? :)

The Y-man

Keep us posted Geoff - many of us have been here for the entire ride so are very interested to see how it turns out.

Hoping the sales go thru quick for you, so you can move on to the next chapter.

Hi Geoff,
I cannot believe it has been 7 years already...
To get back to IT i think Business Analyst may be suitable as you don't need to know how to cut code anymore and can utilise you overall IT knowledge & experience.
C# /.net skills are sought after currently if you want to get back in to a developer role.
Regards,
Soy.

Good on ya Geoff, hope it all goes well. I remember you made the decision to sell the flock of bats to help finance the first store but it's not about the money and life is sad if you're counting whether you're better off financially after 7 years. You're richer in many other ways and it shouldn't come into the equation. If i were you i'd take 6-12mths off and travel around SE Asia and Sth America. Enjoy your life, it's ending one day at a time.

it's not about the money and life is sad if you're counting whether you're better off financially after 7 years. You're richer in many other ways and it shouldn't come into the equation.
Thank you for your post I am trying to think that way too after suffering a substancial business loss recently.
(and your name is capitalist :D )

Good job.

Maybe one lucky punt somewhere and you'll make it. There's lots of opps beaming around and I'm kicking myself for not having enough capital - though I believe some opps will go off before others so hope to make successive calculated punts.

Hope all goes well with your applicants and they do get accepted. They can be very picky with there screening. I was selling a franchised business a few years ago and and 4 applicants got knocked back.

Sometimes you feel like pulling your hair out because they take so much control over you store. They can be hard work. Well done and no doubt you will need a good holiday!

Well done for getting so far Geoff. The other alternative is you would have gone somewhat crazy in IT. Not sure for you but I know for us it's been well worth the experience (although we're still in building stage).

Best of luck with the applicants.

and Matt says hi :)

Congrats mate, I remember seeing you in my early days posting about the stores when you got them... End of a chapter, open a new one...

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:
Far better to have given it a go rather than be stuck in a job wondering 'what if?'. Hope everything goes well in the future, whatever that may be.

hope the sale goes well....and you have a good chance to relax before working out what else to do..

maybe you can start a signboard business!!? i think you'll miss doing the subway signboards, and I expect we'll see some posted on here just to get them out of your system!!

Good luck Geoff, you will again have more time to post on Somersoft after a 7 year work break! :)

Is is possible to employ a manager to run a Subway franchise or do they discourage that?

Hi Geoff,
I cannot believe it has been 7 years already...
To get back to IT i think Business Analyst may be suitable as you don't need to know how to cut code anymore and can utilise you overall IT knowledge & experience.
C# /.net skills are sought after currently if you want to get back in to a developer role.
Regards,
Soy.

Was thinking the same thing! & they are in demand, good luck Geoff!

Hey Geoff,

Many moons ago we bought a caravan park in Far North Queensland, chasing the dream. We had to re-sell it after only a year because we were misled by the previous owner.

We lost $180,000 in that one year (a lot back then), as well as having no income and working 18-hour days.

It was the hardest, scariest, most dangerous and frustrating year of work we have ever endured.

But in that year we never laughed so hard, we never cried so hard, we never felt so helpless, or so alive.

And now, years and years later, we look back and we feel so brave and worldly, so silly and reckless, and so content to know that we 'had a go'.

We will NEVER sit sadly in our old rocking chairs wondering what it would have been like to do something like that.

It was worth our $180,000 loss.

Best wishes.

Geoff,

You've put your Subway signs to really fun use over the years. You've clearly raised your children to know the value of effort, diligence and duty. You've put your spare time into moderating this forum, for many people's benefit. And no doubt, you've built some really solid business assets.

You deserve to get a decent outcome at this point - and I really hope you do - but, I think, you'll be cool no matter what happens. And that for me is what's most inspiring.

Good work.

Best wishes,

It's actually really exciting times.

After 32 years working for the same company (was BHP before the spinoff) - but not in the same area as has had several transfers around the country and overseas ... hubby is now employed up until end of February ... and then is anyone's guess.

His type of work is in hot demand - but not locally - so house is on the market as of Thursday regardless of the work outcome to either downsize but upgrade locally mortgage free or head off elsewhere (still mortgage free).

He's been offered a job in Perth that doesn't start for 6 months, so is applying elsewhere - anything can happen.

So much uncertainty ... and it's really exciting!!

Then again, I am a great believer in that, if you keep yourself open and put the work in, the universe will provide the right answer.

I guess what I'm saying is "keep your vision open, keep your options open, embrace change and the solution will present at just the right time".

a guy at my workplace left his IT job a year + ago to open up a spanish cafe in south melbourne. it didn't turn out and he had to sell it losing 250K and from a landrover to a kia and cut down his expenditure. he is now back in the IT job at my workplace again.

Back