Sending an SMS by the web or email

Hi

I've been using a service for quite some time which enables me to send an SMS from the web or from an email.

This is not an ad for a specific service. It's just something I find extremely useful in running my business- and it may have some use for people not in business as well.

The website I use is www.smsglobal.com.au - but there are others. I have used www.smsbroadcast.com.au in the past but they were more expensive. Other companies such as www.message-media.com.au, http://www.messagenet.com.au, and http://www.160.com.au/ provide a similar service. 160 appears to provide a cheaper service, followed by smsglobal, but their website was not working when I was investigating the last time. smsglobal charge 10c per message (less for large volumes); 160 start at just under 8c per message, going down to 6.25c when buying more than 2000 credits.

I've written up a brief cover of the service on my website. I'd be interested in comments.

I had thought that probably many people knew about this, but when I mentioned it to a number of people in the business recently, nobody had heard of it.

So I'd be interested in comments, on the usefulness of the service, and the usefulness of the instructions.

BTW I have had one time in the last year when messages were not sent promptly- but the backup support (by telephone) was good when that happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff

I did try a few providers a couple of years ago but the sms sending was free.
Then it got too hard because some sms's were not getting through or they didn't support optus mobiles.
I haven't used any of the companies you've mentioned and these days I do all the SMS'ing using the mobile.
What do you need SMS for in your line of business?

10 years ago I hooked 10 mobiles up to a computer and wrote a program
that took input from a web page and would send the sms to users

this provided sms services to a customer base of 1 million users
for approved marketing purposes and to play jokes on the odd staff member.

this was before you could get pipes into telstra's smsc

was pretty happy with that. No doubt the company may still be using it.

hi all
I have a smsfun and that allows 2001 sms per day
thats alot of sms
allows 150 characters per text
can't multi sms
so have to send out as separate text.

hi all
I have a smsfun and that allows 2001 sms per day
thats alot of sms
allows 150 characters per text
can't multi sms
so have to send out as separate text.
I logged onto the site.

It does allow an SMS to more than one person at a time.

But it has a limit (at least for new users) of 10 messages a day.

What do you need SMS for in your line of business?
I use it to send a message to an employee. It could be a reminder of a shift, or a message to ask them why they didn't turn up. Or to ask them to pick up a shift that somebody has dropped.

Or I can send a message to everybody, personalised with a name, about an event for all employees, or a message about new or changed policy.

But, most importantly, I connect it to the rostering system. When the roster is completed, I have programmed Excel to send out a message to each employee telling them their shifts. That has been an extremely useful facility. There's no longer the excuse "I didn't know I was rostered on", or "but I have something on that day".

hi geoffw
its 10 when you start and then it jumps to 1000 and then to 2001 when you have been for x amount of months
not sure of the x they just gave them to me
the multi is if you pay per month gold they call it
I just use the free ones

Back