seperate land title

My neighbours property is currently on the market, the problem is that it is a strata titled house with units adjoining the property...ie shared driveway, house is out front, fully fenced block, units out back.

I was wondering is there any possible way to acquire a complete sperate title for the house out the front, i am not intrested in the "common property" driveway as there is more than enough room to move our boundary and provide a seperate driveway for the house.

ultimately, we would like to either eventually make our block size bigger, by bulldozing the adjoining house or bulldoze both for townhouses/units.

So, the question is! is there any way to gain a seperate title for the house by negotiating a deal where the "common property driveway" is no longer attached to the house????

you may not be able to get the house on torren title - torrens means that the house's sewer and water is completely separate from the units and that the domestic sewer/water does not run across the units land ... mains would have to be extended to the house.

however, you can get the house on a completely separate strata title by getting a surveryor to do a "dashed" strata plan (the houses and units location is drawn in dashed lines instead of solid lines) and submitting this to council for approval. once approved by council then they have to be lodged with lands titles office.

the "dashing" (believe it or not) means that each entity is not responsible for anything that happens to the other entity, ie, if repairs are required on one, then the other is not obligated to help fund them.

it sounds really weird but just went thru this with surveryor and council.

then you could buy the house under a "dashed" strata title and have no responsibility for the units.

Back