Seperating with recent property purchase

Having been through your situation no matter how ammicable you and your ex are and no matter how business like you can keep things, it will always be a bone of contention with any new partner of yours (or/and hers) . Trust me, it's like being separated for a long time but never divorced. Get rid of the baggage.

just wait till she talks to an overzealous lawyer, or her friend or a friends friend tells her she could 'screw' you for 60-75% plus maintenance plus child support plus this plus that

sort it out quick smart is my suggestion and get a clean break!!

it will get worse if/when she finds out you are dating someone else

just wait till she talks to an overzealous lawyer, or her friend or a friends friend tells her she could 'screw' you for 60-75% plus maintenance plus child support plus this plus that

sort it out quick smart is my suggestion and get a clean break!!

it will get worse if/when she finds out you are dating someone else

There are no children TMNT. This "should" be easy, but I agree once friends and family get in her ear about "her" $20K brought to the relationship it could get messy. She would need to be reminded that the difference in salary for three years needs to be taken into account too.

To me, knowing only what is posted, I would think an equal split sounds fair (especially given the short time together, the lack of a huge chunk of equity etc).

But the poster and his wife are the ones who must work out how things will be split, who will buy the other out etc (preferably without family, friends or lawyers coming into it).

Last edited:
Concur with the above posts after trying to go through this previously with an ex partner. No matter how friendly you are now, that will change when she speaks to family/friends/co workers. There is no better feeling than a clean break, done correctly with binding financial agreement put in place.

There are no children TMNT. This "should" be easy, but I agree once friends and family get in her ear about "her" $20K brought to the relationship it could get messy. She would need to be reminded that the difference in salary for three years needs to be taken into account too.

To me, knowing only what is posted, I would think an equal split sounds fair (especially given the short time together, the lack of a huge chunk of equity etc).

But the poster and his wife are the ones who must work out how things will be split, who will buy the other out etc (preferably without family, friends or lawyers coming into it).

ahh, should have read the op more carefully,

still can get very messy as to the 'entitlements"

good luck!!! id go for a clean break

Thanks guys.

Someone in my family has said I should speak to a solicitor now in order to confirm what my situation is, however having called for a few quotes even this seems really expensive. Is this something I should be doing anyway.

One solicitor has offered a free first consultation but i've been warned that they will try and push me into acting so they get paid.

Am I putting myself at a disadvantage if I don't consult a solicitor now, or should I wait till we negotiate things between us and then engage one just to carry out the settlement?

With not much equity at stake, I would try to nut it out between yourselves without bring anybody else into it for now. I cannot see any issues with coming to an arrangement that you both agree will work and then taking to whoever deals with this to sign off.

I know a chap who did just this, and I don't think either of them had lawyers involved at all. I'd guess if you cannot agree then it becomes much more difficult.

Am I putting myself at a disadvantage if I don't consult a solicitor now, or should I wait till we negotiate things between us and then engage one just to carry out the settlement?

Definitely see a solicitor to get advice on what an equitable split would be, and perhaps also on the process. Make sure you are equipped at that first appointment with a spreadsheet clearly setting out your marriage asset pool and (in your case) who brought what into the start of the relationship.

Family lawyers get expensive and a waste of money (imo) if you retain them to do ongoing work, including collating of the asset pool and other basic stuff that anyone can do.

The most efficient way to use them is to get advice on what your entitlement roughly is at the start of the process, and then finally at the end to draw up the consent orders and get them lodged/ratified. Everything in between can mostly be done by yourself with a bit of time and effort.

Contrary to popular belief, its probably a good idea to encourage your ex to also get her own independent legal advice on what her entitlement is, especially if you can agree on what the asset pool looks like.

Contrary to popular belief, its probably a good idea to encourage your ex to also get her own independent legal advice on what her entitlement is, especially if you can agree on what the asset pool looks like.

The lawyer we saw also suggested this. Keeps things above board, lessens the risk the ex will think you are trying to do something underhanded.

One solicitor has offered a free first consultation but i've been warned that they will try and push me into acting so they get paid.

I'm pretty sure this happens a lot less than people think.

Or if it does appear that way, its probably simply out of a genuine concern that the potential client needs further legal assistance. Because one free appointment isn't enough to solve any legal problem, let alone an ongoing family law dispute.

Most of the family lawyers I know have more than their share of work, and often turn down matters. They have better things to do than try and pressure potential reluctant clients into signing a retainer.

Definitely see a solicitor to get advice on what an equitable split would be, and perhaps also on the process. Make sure you are equipped at that first appointment with a spreadsheet clearly setting out your marriage asset pool and (in your case) who brought what into the start of the relationship.

Yup, this is exactly what I did, with some time lines around when things happened, major purchases etc. This helped immensely. I think my initial consultation cost around $400-500, but it was the best money I'd ever spent.

I think having the binding financial agreement written up for both parties, using separate lawyers to verify, cost me around $2000 for my half and gave my a totally clear break, everything tabled, noted and agreed on. Was really an important part of the whole process and I felt free to go out there and do what I wanted afterwards (buy more IP's!).

Back