Serge's Granny Flat Friendly Property Hunting Guide

Hi Guys,

I get a lot of enquiries about what makes a property good for granny flat development, so I thought I'd chime in with a priority list when you're out and about looking for properties.

I suggest taking a tape measure with you. Another good idea is checking on Google Earth (you can download it) because it has a measuring tool on the top menu. Can save a lot of petrol!

TIPS (in order of importance):
1. Minimum 15 m from house (wall) to back boundary. 18m+ is preferred.

2. If block slopes (falls) to the rear, minimum rear setback should be 20 m UNLESS the block is 15m wide or more. Then it can be 15m+ - reason is to allow enough room for a drainage dispersion pit behind the grany flat.

3. If the property slopes to the rear, it is served by a Drainage Easement.

4. If the property slopes to the rear, the Sewer Mains isn't sitting across the middle of the rear yard.

5. Look for 1.2m+ side setback on the opposite side to the driveway side. Reason is to provide a separate walkway entrance for tenants. Please see image.

6. Block slopes to street

7. Corner Block

8. Laneway to the rear or side

9. No significant trees in the middle of the yard. Significant means over 5m high and native. E.g. palms are ok to remove regardless of height.

These are the more important prerequisites^.
Happy hunting!

Attachments

• Granny Flat Friendly Property.jpg
    Granny Flat Friendly Property.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 452
Hi Guys,
4. If the property slopes to the rear, the Sewer Mains isn't sitting across the middle of the rear yard.

Hey Serge, is this so you don't have to drop the stormwater pipe down too low?

I have this issue as you know, all the struc report and set backs etc are fine.

Only issue now is drainage engineer took a look and is thinking easment. $$$.

The property behind me is building a granny flat, I was going to ask if I could use an OSD and surcharge into their pipe. The sewer trunk runs perpendicular, (6m offset to gf) at a depth of 1m+, may have to go under or over and use concrete protection.

Also I was informed as original house is really old and water flows backwards into a dispersion pit underground (I can't find it tho), I had to include this flow as part of the new drainage. Is this true?

I may just leave it as is (no stove) and rent it as an office. Other option is to offload it (there is some profit in it still), or finish the drainage ~$20k. Thoughts?

Thanks for your assistance in the past.

Hey Serge, is this so you don't have to drop the stormwater pipe down too low?

I have this issue as you know, all the struc report and set backs etc are fine.

Only issue now is drainage engineer took a look and is thinking easment. $$$.

The property behind me is building a granny flat, I was going to ask if I could use an OSD and surcharge into their pipe. The sewer trunk runs perpendicular, (6m offset to gf) at a depth of 1m+, may have to go under or over and use concrete protection.

Also I was informed as original house is really old and water flows backwards into a dispersion pit underground (I can't find it tho), I had to include this flow as part of the new drainage. Is this true?

I may just leave it as is (no stove) and rent it as an office. Other option is to offload it (there is some profit in it still), or finish the drainage ~$20k. Thoughts?

Thanks for your assistance in the past.

Hi nhg,

A Sewer Mains in the middle of the yard just adds cost for Encasement. Read this guide regarding mitigation of sewer: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/granny-flat-sewer-help

I dont understand what you meant about the Drainage, sorry. Perhaps give me a call and we'll go over it. I dont think asking for an easement through the neighbouring property will be the cheapest solution.

Brazen.

corner block granny flat

Hi Serge,
Are you familiar with Blacktown NSW area? I am getting mixed messages. SEPP says detached granny flats can be considered if your block is 450sqm or bigger. But this dude at Blacktown council is saying my corner block has to be over 600sqm to build a detached GF.

Have you noticed any special conditions with building a GF on a corner lot?

Thanks,
Junie

Hi Junie,

The 600 sq m minimum site area (at Blacktown) is a rule under their own DCP for 'dual occupancy'. In my experience ALL properties in Blacktown comply under the SEPP, so just ignore that and go for SEPP Granny Flat Approval. it's cheaper and faster.

The only conditions that will disqualify your block from SEPP compliance is:
1. High Risk or Overland Flooding
2. High Risk Bushfire
3. Property is less than 12 m wide (at the building line) - where you're going to build it.
4. It's a Heritage or Conservation site.
5. It's <450 sq m in area

Email me your Section-149 Certificate over to me if you like and I'll check it for you. This costs you $0 and will set your mind at ease.

Serge.

Section 149 from the council will cost $20 or $50 won't it?

Hey neK :)

A Section-149 (Part 2) Certificate costs exactly $53 from all Councils. This one is all you need if you're sure the property isn't flood affected.

A Section-149 (part 2 & 5) Certificate is needed where the site is flood affected because it describes the extend of flooding. These cost about $120. A good designer will need this info to make the relevant enquiries and see if they can find a way to mitigate the problem(s).

If you have a recent Contract of Sale, the S149 is contained within that document as well; although many dodgy conveyances don't buy a current one....bad little monkeys !

Brazen.

Thanks Serge, I just sent you 149 cert through your email on your website. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to attach files in PM.

Thanks Serge, I just sent you 149 cert through your email on your website. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to attach files in PM.

That's ok. I checked it and replied with the relevant info. I hope it helps!

Serge.

Jsoe,

Don't keep us all in suspense - is the certificate OK? Can a granny flat go ahead?

:)

Jason (watching on from the sidelines)

hi Serge, you are a legend! I've heard of your generous reputation from this forum, and I'm on board with the rest of us here.
P.s. I'm in love with your price calculators on your website. You've pretty much simplified this overwhelming process for investors.

I don't understand how councils can have their own DCP that's not in line with SEPP? Would they have to sign off or reject a Complying Development if it's not per their own DCP? Need to look into the next step now.

Hi jrc77, yes all good - just with some pointers. yay!

I don't understand how councils can have their own DCP that's not in line with SEPP? Would they have to sign off or reject a Complying Development if it's not per their own DCP? Need to look into the next step now.

The hierarchy of planning controls goes:
State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPP)
Local Environmental Plan (LEP)
Development Control Plan (DCP)

So, the SEPP overrides the restriction under the DCP.

A lot of councils have old controls on their books that they simply haven't gotten around to getting rid of. Other councils actively push their own controls because they don't like the idea of losing their own controls.

I worked on exclusions from exempt and complying development at the Department of Planning. Some of the requests from Council were ridiculous. Others were very well argued and could be supported.

hi Serge, you are a legend! I've heard of your generous reputation from this forum, and I'm on board with the rest of us here.
P.s. I'm in love with your price calculators on your website. You've pretty much simplified this overwhelming process for investors.

Hi jrc77, yes all good - just with some pointers. yay!

I'm glad I could help Junie. The calculators are there to help too and it treats everyone the same regardless of intellect.

Councils have their own (DA) set DCP's which are usually more forgiving. e.g. You can ask for a 900mm rear setback instead of the 3m required for SEPP compliance.

Serge.

QUOTE]

Hi All,

not that serge/brazen is not famous enough. but would like to add. I am currently doing GF approval via Serge and he has been great. cannot recommend him enough.

you simply cannot go wrong via choosing serge.

regards

somerhut

Another big fan of Serge and Granny Flat Approval here - definitely would not consider any other option in the future. Great ideas and support - and he saved my behind big time after a self inflicted stuff up.

omg aren't I the cool dude on campus tonight! This is good!!

Wait...wait.. please let me bathe in this adoration before someone slaps me back down where I belong again :eek:

I asked Serge for a granny flat and he sent me a voucher for a 2 x 2m zincalume shed from Bunnings.

And the shed was full of dragons, and ninjas

The end.

Back