Serge's Granny Flat Friendly Property Hunting Guide

Whats the deal with this point?

"Neighbours must be notified of complying development 14 days prior to approval"

So before i even get someone like Serge to send this in for approval, I need to send the plans to the neighbour?? Then wait 14 days before its can be approved by a private certifier?

So before i even get someone like Serge to send this in for approval, I need to send the plans to the neighbour?? Then wait 14 days before its can be approved by a private certifier?

No, the certifier does this for you.

I actually visited my immediate neighbours, showed them the plan and got their concerns.
It makes it easier when they get the notification by third party.

Whats the deal with this point?

"Neighbours must be notified of complying development 14 days prior to approval"

It's a political cop out.

You have to notify the neighbours, but they can't do anything. It just causes more angst for councils, applicants and certifiers and was introduced because the Minister for Planning got irate phone calls from neighbours that think they have the right to object to someone building a garden shed from bunnings.

Serge have there been changes to the rules?

Are you able to do a complying development granny flat build on < 450sqm land?

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/News...licy-regarding-Affordable-Rental-Housing.aspx

Do you have any more information?

Hi serrz,

RE: SEPP Changes for lots <450 sq m
You could always do various Complying Development work on lots <450 sq m BUT you still can't build a granny flat on lots <450 sq m. I wish we could though.

RE: New Certification Rules
Yea, now the Certifier must notify ALL neighbours within 40m for 2 weeks. The neighbours can do nothing more than run to the end of their chain and bark BUT Planning saw fit to impose this new (ridiculous) rule on us.

All it has accomplished is a lot of angry phone calls to the Certifier (and even to me!) with us having to explain the development to them. It's a waste of valuable time in every perceivable aspect. I'm now having to explain this 10 times a day to my clients and their neighbours.

I cried.

Just sent this to Planning NSW:

Dear Planning NSW,

I'd like to provide industry feedback on the new Neighbour Notification Policy implemented on 23rd February 2014.

As an Architectural and Approval Service, we carry out approximately 250 Complying Development Consents annually. The new policy changes require that the Certifier effectively hold off on issuing an approval for 2 weeks until all neighbours within 40 metres are notified of the development. The reality is that it takes around 3 weeks because the Certifier is required to send the approval material to Owners and not tenants. This requires lengthy consultation with Local Councils to find people's postal addresses as well.

I note that the old policy required the same notification BUT there was no need to stall/stop the development. i.e. The Certifier could issue the approval and notify neighbours at the same time. This was effective and didn't delay the process.

The new policy has had the following effects:
1. Development is completely stopped for at least 2 weeks, which only serves to slow our economy and take jobs away from tradespeople.
2. It has added approximately $300 to every Approval for the Certifier to carry out the new task. He is now required to consult with Council to find Owner's postal addresses whilst holding off on issuing the approval. The real-World effect is a 3-4 week delay in issuing consents.
3. Neighbours now have a false sense that they can object to the proposal. They often call me (and the Certifier) to object to the 'proposal'. We also get calls from Councils asking for detail on an approval which isn't even granted yet. We then have to explain that the process to all of these parties. There is widespread confusion now. This takes valuable time and hence our costs are going up more and more to pay for this.
4. The momentum of a development is severely hampered by this new policy. We are losing clients as they go 'off the boil' during this 2-3 week delay. Building work is stalled and we're seeing signs of clients losing interest in their development due to this problem.

Please feel free to call me should you require further feedback.

Just sent this to Planning NSW:

Dear Planning NSW,

I'd like to provide industry feedback on the new Neighbour Notification Policy implemented on 23rd February 2014.

As an Architectural and Approval Service, we carry out approximately 250 Complying Development Consents annually. The new policy changes require that the Certifier effectively hold off on issuing an approval for 2 weeks until all neighbours within 40 metres are notified of the development. The reality is that it takes around 3 weeks because the Certifier is required to send the approval material to Owners and not tenants. This requires lengthy consultation with Local Councils to find people's postal addresses as well.

I note that the old policy required the same notification BUT there was no need to stall/stop the development. i.e. The Certifier could issue the approval and notify neighbours at the same time. This was effective and didn't delay the process.

The new policy has had the following effects:
1. Development is completely stopped for at least 2 weeks, which only serves to slow our economy and take jobs away from tradespeople.
2. It has added approximately $300 to every Approval for the Certifier to carry out the new task. He is now required to consult with Council to find Owner's postal addresses whilst holding off on issuing the approval. The real-World effect is a 3-4 week delay in issuing consents.
3. Neighbours now have a false sense that they can object to the proposal. They often call me (and the Certifier) to object to the 'proposal'. We also get calls from Councils asking for detail on an approval which isn't even granted yet. We then have to explain that the process to all of these parties. There is widespread confusion now. This takes valuable time and hence our costs are going up more and more to pay for this.
4. The momentum of a development is severely hampered by this new policy. We are losing clients as they go 'off the boil' during this 2-3 week delay. Building work is stalled and we're seeing signs of clients losing interest in their development due to this problem.

Please feel free to call me should you require further feedback.

*Councilor turns over letter and proceeds to play naughts and crosses with fellow councilor.

*Councilor turns over letter and proceeds to play naughts and crosses with fellow councilor.

haha!

Yes, maybe ok180, but it's not Council I've sent this letter to, it's the NSW Department of Planning. My Certifier and various colleagues have sent similar letters today.

The Minister for Planning is actually reviewing the policy (among other things) and there's a discussion I'll hopefully be attending at months' end so hopefully we can do some good here.

Brazen.

TIPS (in order of importance):
1. Minimum 15 m from house (wall) to back boundary. 18m+ is preferred.

2. If block slopes (falls) to the rear, minimum rear setback should be 20 m UNLESS the block is 15m wide or more. Then it can be 15m+ - reason is to allow enough room for a drainage dispersion pit behind the grany flat.

3. If the property slopes to the rear, it is served by a Drainage Easement.

4. If the property slopes to the rear, the Sewer Mains isn't sitting across the middle of the rear yard.

g!

How much more costly is it when you build on a slope to rear block in comparison to a flat build?

How much more costly is it when you build on a slope to rear block in comparison to a flat build?

If there's no Drainage Easement (to collect the stormwater) - around $3,500 for a Rainwater Tank and overflow to a Drainage Dispersion (Rubble) Pit.

Brazen.

haha!

Yes, maybe ok180, but it's not Council I've sent this letter to, it's the NSW Department of Planning. My Certifier and various colleagues have sent similar letters today.

The Minister for Planning is actually reviewing the policy (among other things) and there's a discussion I'll hopefully be attending at months' end so hopefully we can do some good here.

Brazen.

You will find a lot of sympathy for your position in both the department and Council staff.

Unfortunately it looks like the decision came from the former Minister. Might have luck with the new one now that Hazzard is Attorney General.

......Might have luck with the new one (Planning Minister) now that Hazzard is Attorney General.

That be what we be hoping Ideo!
Planning NSW have been saying they want to 'streamline' planning approvals for years- let's see it!

Imposing a shunt in the approval process just isn't.

Brazen.

Back