Seriously? Libs want to change Tony Abbot for Turnbull or Bishop?

You're right about that, SK.
My point I guess is that there seem to be a lot of Liberal voters disappointed with him atm.

hugh72: watermelons - green on the outside and red on the inside?

Last edited:
I can't believe the furore created over this knighting of Prince Philip on Australia Day
I keep reading that the phones among Lib backbenchers have been running hot as they discuss 'feverishly' leadership change to either Turnbull or Bishop because of this "knightmare" fiasco

Seriously, leadership change over knighting Prince Philip?
I really couldn't have cared if they knighted, sainted or gave the Victoria Cross to Prince Philip. It doesn't affect my life one iota.

Bolt attacks Abbot over the knighthood
Murdoch tweets that Peta Credlin should fall on her sword

Does anybody else think a mountain is being made out of a molehill
or is it just me?

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...y-abbott-faces-criticism-20150129-131f0o.html
Mountain out of mole-hill, for mine.

It's not so much the deed that is killing him, it's the fall-out from it in terms of Public opinion and popularity, etc.

To make his decision showed:

1. Supposed lack of connection with the wider community
2. And if he knew it was a silly decision before hand; why not consult with his inner-circle of advisors before hand to discuss.

To me (and I'm a Liberal voter) the whole issue is non-important, but a bit of a thoughtless decision; considering there are so many more relevant and contemporary choices for a Knight/Dame hood in Australia.

The Libs need to jump out of the box now, and start to really sell all the good things they've accomplished in Year 1, but so far they have been far too silent.

Conversely; it shows how short-sighted and dare I say it - stupid - the Public are; to think the Public will forget the previous disastrous 7 years under Labor, and want to go straight back to more of same under Bill Shorten. :confused:

Personally; I like Julie Abbot as Lib leader, but more out of charisma reasons rather than whether she could do the Top Job any better than Tony.

I actually feel sorry for Abbott that the party would seek to change him over this 'knight' thing. He's worked very hard during opposition for many years to get them into power

Opposition is easy all he had to do was be negative.

Now he is PM it is hard because no one likes any of his ideas so it is really easy to oppose him.

The knighthood thing is just the latest straw on the camels back, but will it be the last one?

I have always thought the end game of Tony Abbott's reinstalling knighthoods was Tony himself becoming 'Sir Anthony Abbott' at the end of his career.

Anyone notice these leadership "battles" have become a lot more about media hype than anything else.

We had:

Howard/Costello
Rudd/Gillard
Gillard/Rudd
Rudd/Gillard/Shorten
Now Abbott/Someone

It's almost as if the moment someone makes one or two mistakes the media starts giving oxygen to nervous back benchers and it spirals from there. Blame the 24 hour news cycle I guess.

We still had leadership showdowns in the past but now it's just out of control. This is why I think the American system is better, the people put the president there and for better or worse only they can remove them.

Politicians are only ever remembered for the mistakes they make,look at Rudd-Gillard-Rudd and what happened during that period,i have said this before who ever is giving MrAbbott advice and the team behind him ,sack everyone of them and get some new ideas,because if they don't this well dressed Lady will take control..

images

I agree, SK, I think Abbott is a very poor leader. He doesn't present well in public, can barely string a coherent sentence together, furthermore, he is totally out of touch with modern Australia. Time for a change, I say.....

Thats is where you are wrong, just look at the public reaction, its not minor, Its big.

Prince p is not Australian for starters, how can anyone respect a pm who makes such a mindless decision

In case there's anybody who hasn't yet seen it, this piece by John Oliver of Last Week Tonight about Tony Abbott is gold...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk
I totally agree with these points. He hasn't just done one thing wrong he is constantly an embarrassment to Australia. He lives in a fantasy world and shouldn't be making important decisions or representing Our country.

If they change leaders, it will have been the straw that broke the camel's back.
While I think it was stupid and shows that he's very out of touch with the general population, it's not as bad as many of the other things that he's said or done.

It's difficult to sit in judgement right now and determine if the current government is going to get the best outcome for the country or not.

They are definitely doing a lousy job of managing the press and the message being published.

At this point I'd be happy for him to be replaced by someone more moderate, but that just makes the Libs look like the ALP. Realistically this is something that should have been done about 12 months prior to the last election.

Tony is doing a fantastic job. The best thing for Australia is for him to lead the LNP at the next election.

Yep. No one else had the balls to cut down on the ludicrous amount of spending that was going on. Gillard/Rudd were all give give give to gain popularity without thought to consequences.

Back