Settled on house - vendor left chicken /geese excrement

Just got the keys for my latest purchase. Some large items of furniture (think a sofa, ect) & it looked exactly as it did at contract exchange, including all owners stuff.

Kitchen still has utensils, saucepans, theres a brand new vacum cleaner as well. Its like the owners didnt realise the house had been sold?

Anyway, nothing worse than I was expecting.
I bought an 'as is' deceased estate with half the kitchen stuff there. A few cupboards got missed so ended up with saucepan set, dinner sets and stoneware from England. RE said if I purchased a week earlier I would of gotten the Morris Minor in garage also. Neighbours told me a crew of people were employed to destroy and chuck in skip bin a heap of antique furniture. The neighbours requested they put antiques beside the bin for them to take but they said the couldn't.

Yup but buying under value will mitigate the rubbish and intent :)

Yes! Those two properties mentioned earlier were $50,000 and $10,000 less than comparable sales. Had to remind myself while cleaning dog hair and dripping nicotine off the walls.

Really? In NSW if you don't settle their solicitor serves a "notice to Complete" which gives you 2 weeks. THEN they can start talking penalties.

Our first property we bought had a nice new dishwasher. Unfortunately (for them) the agent put that it was included when it wasn't supposed to be. They took it out so we said we wouldn't settle. We had already given extra things (like curtains as they said they wanted them so enough was enough). Then they bought a cheap dial one and put it in. Luckily we had the photos. They replaced it with the original one an hour before settlement.

Wow, that's great, I wish!!!

yeah - guessed i wouldnt be able to do anything

catch 22 unfortunately - owner occupied and she couldnt move out until settlement occured
WA has funny rules - had to do final inspection while she was still in... and it was an armpit....and she didnt move out until the day after settlement.

i asked advice off my settlement agent about the mess she was leaving and she advised me not to settle - but the vendor threatened to impose penalties unless i settled.

so went back to settlement agent and was advised to withhold funds from settlement if final inspection didnt cut the mustard.... but the vendor has to agree - and she wouldnt...

then the settlement agent suggested that i put the onus on the real estate agent... get them to agree that if the property was a mess that they wold arrange cleaning.... but agent wouldnt agree

she was a bit of an odd bod aswell.... didnt work - on her own with 2 teenagers who she home schooled... and from the state of the house - not lifted a finger to do anything....

anyway - got it for a good price... lesson learned though - if i ever buy a house like this again i will want chicken poo and all straw and stuff removed as another clause on the contract.

just spent the last 2 days cleaning and shoveling bird poop and batting away flies (next time i'll hire backpackers!)

think i just neede to vent my frustrations!!

yeah - guessed i wouldnt be able to do anything

catch 22 unfortunately - owner occupied and she couldnt move out until settlement occured
WA has funny rules - had to do final inspection while she was still in... and it was an armpit....and she didnt move out until the day after settlement.

Same situ,not in WA btw

i asked advice off my settlement agent about the mess she was leaving and she advised me not to settle - but the vendor threatened to impose penalties unless i settled.

so went back to settlement agent and was advised to withhold funds from settlement if final inspection didnt cut the mustard.... but the vendor has to agree - and she wouldnt...

then the settlement agent suggested that i put the onus on the real estate agent... get them to agree that if the property was a mess that they wold arrange cleaning.... but agent wouldnt agree

she was a bit of an odd bod aswell.... didnt work - on her own with 2 teenagers who she home schooled... and from the state of the house - not lifted a finger to do anything....

As inspected,vendor has no recourse
anyway - got it for a good price... lesson learned though - if i ever buy a house like this again i will want chicken poo and all straw and stuff removed as another clause on the contract.

just spent the last 2 days cleaning and shoveling bird poop and batting away flies (next time i'll hire backpackers!)

think i just neede to vent my frustrations!!

What the hell is wrong with chicken poo...Btw you vented your frustrations and should be redirected to small world problems.

Anyhow,i hope all is good :)

I bought an 'as is' deceased estate with half the kitchen stuff there. A few cupboards got missed so ended up with saucepan set, dinner sets and stoneware from England. RE said if I purchased a week earlier I would of gotten the Morris Minor in garage also. Neighbours told me a crew of people were employed to destroy and chuck in skip bin a heap of antique furniture. The neighbours requested they put antiques beside the bin for them to take but they said the couldn't.

Our son just purchased from a lady who moved out 18 months ago. The house was full of stuff, tax returns from 1959, ornaments, furniture, dishes in the sink. We took on the job of donating what we could, selling the valuable things, sold the Volvo for her too.

I spent a whole day shredding her private papers but kept photos and anything important (passports etc). She had no children but has a niece looking after things for her, but she has a young family and doesn't live locally. I believe that is why nothing had been done for 18 months. I was happy to take it on.

We still have a few things left to sell but most of it is gone.

She went through the house with me, and we put aside the things she wanted to keep, which we have in our garage ready to take to her in her new place. Anything I wasn't sure about that looked of value, we put aside. She is very appreciative.

I enjoyed helping an old lady.

Wylie,

Great to her that you helped out elderly vendor..

I believe you kind gesture will be rewarded..what goes around comes around..

Our son just purchased from a lady who moved out 18 months ago. The house was full of stuff, tax returns from 1959, ornaments, furniture, dishes in the sink. We took on the job of donating what we could, selling the valuable things, sold the Volvo for her too.

I spent a whole day shredding her private papers but kept photos and anything important (passports etc). She had no children but has a niece looking after things for her, but she has a young family and doesn't live locally. I believe that is why nothing had been done for 18 months. I was happy to take it on.

We still have a few things left to sell but most of it is gone.

She went through the house with me, and we put aside the things she wanted to keep, which we have in our garage ready to take to her in her new place. Anything I wasn't sure about that looked of value, we put aside. She is very appreciative.

I enjoyed helping an old lady.
That 's nice!

Back