Settlement done, but old owner still coming back

We settled on our (1st :p) IP on Wednesday, at Midday.

The previous owner left a LOT of rubbish for us to remove (a 6 metre skip worth). In addition, she has left a bunch of her stuff there, and has been making trips back and forth for the past two days carting it away.

It's giving me the sh1ts, because every time she arrives i have to stop work and ensure she's not knocking off our stuff (we have a lot of building materials on site). I want to tell her to bugger off and not come back, but my girlfriend is telling me to be kind and patient. I am annoyed that she's picking through all the stuff and taking things she wants, then leaving us with the mess.

There is still a massive outdoor cat run to dismantle and remove, there's a half a shed full of old timber and paint, a bunch of potted plants and a few garden ornaments, plus more.

What would you do in the same situation? Be harsh, or be nice?

We were advised that by law we had to settle. In addition, we had a bunch of tradies all lined up to start as soon as we had the keys, so to not have settled would have thrown a spanner in the works.

I inspected 24 hours prior to settlement, and it was a shambles. I insisted on another final inspection 3 hours prior to settlement, and it was a bit better, she was doing her best to get all her stuff removed (but not the mess).

I wouldn't be nice. You have settled. It is YOUR place. I would change the locks immediately if you have not already done so.

She can arrange for access via her solicitor. I would charge no storage in exchange for rubbish removal (her rubbish). If not collcted within a certain time frame I would throw it all away.

I wonder by law whether she has given you her stuff as it was there upon settlement? I have never heard of this happening. The rubbish yes. Belongings - no! It's like she doesn't quite get that its no longer her home...

What would you do in the same situation? Be harsh, or be nice?
Maybe this lady does not understand the law of trespass,and from another angle what happens if the lady falls over on your Property:rolleyes:?,give her 2 hours to take all her property and don't let back again on Your Property other wise you will have more problems that you handle..willair..

I cant believe you are letting her come when she wants. Ask her for a list of what she wants and put it out the front for her to pick up. Problem solved.

We were advised that by law we had to settle. In addition, we had a bunch of tradies all lined up to start as soon as we had the keys, so to not have settled would have thrown a spanner in the works.

I inspected 24 hours prior to settlement, and it was a shambles. I insisted on another final inspection 3 hours prior to settlement, and it was a bit better, she was doing her best to get all her stuff removed (but not the mess).

You shoul have advised your legal team to allow for rubbish removal costs from the settlement proceeds. One to remember for next time. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Heh, my house was stripped when I got it but it had a slight infestation of mattresses and typewriters (I think it had a small crowd of tenants in there, they'd also racked up a huge electricity usage that I got billed for within 2 weeks). I'd had it put into the contract that all the mattresses be taken away by settlement, and suprise surprise she didn't. She got some other junk that was in the contract though. Contracts are good for that, like the Y-man said.

Ended up with a passer-by with a trailer take the mattresses away so I didn't need to go chasing her for rubbish removal costs, and she got stuck with the rather large electricity bill from the tenants after I faxed proof of purchase to the utility company.

Legally its your house now and she should have been more organised and got her stuff out in advance, or asked for an extension of the settlement. Those contracts usually state that you get the house and all in it with exceptions or something like that, read the fine print and see what yours says. I'm not sure if its explicit or an expectation that the vendor removes their stuff before settlement date. Been a long time since I bought a house now.

She came back today, to get her cat cage ramp outdoor thingy (dunno what they are called - cat run maybe?).

I had a go at her, told her to take it and leave for the last time. She looked all shocked and whatever. I felt a tad mean, but at the same time she should know that she was doing the wrong thing.

Anyway, she hasn't been back.

To answer a post in this thread, no, she's not that old, in her 50's I guess.

Have had a productive 16 hour day, am absolutely stuffed now.

Back