Settlement t'mrw. Hold back $250 for unmowed lawn/uncleared drains?

If I inspected a property and then the day of settlement there was a substantial change, I would consider holding money back. I would possibly do that if the vendor had removed light fittings, the dishwasher, the air-conditioner etc.

But to hold back money because some leaves had dropped into a gutter and the grass had grown in the weeks leading up to the settlement, especially know the vendors were overseas and really being "held to ransom" just does't sit well with me. I gather I'm not alone in that.

I just find it petty and something I'd never do.

Yep !

'Just wanted to know what's fair to do'

Agreed Wylie - Beanie Girl asked the question of the forum - what's fair to do -and the vast majority of respondents said the same thing....the forum's answer was more than clear, yet she went ahead and asked it anyway.

Is this the control freaks thread split off Geoff..?:confused:

{deleted}

In answer to the question - standard vendor obligation is to ensure the property and gardens etc is maintained until settlement. You are within your rights. Its not petty, petty is the vendor not providing you the property in appropriate condition. Withhold $500 and they will fix it. Talk to your conveyancer about doing this and he/she will advise you accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back