Seventeen Seventy?

B

brains

Has anyone heard of a place in QLD called Seventeen Seventy?
A friend of mine from Byron Bay was telling me about it yesterday and it sounds like an interesting place. He was saying some people have left Byron to live there.

Even the name is fascinating.

Hi Brains,

1770 is a small township on the coast up Gladstone way.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~unearth/australia/1770/1770.html

I haven't been there myself however those who I know that have been there say it is fantastic. It is "protected" by a very hazardous road which I believe is not much fun to travel.

I could imagine why a Byron resident would want to go there, very similar places, quiet, beautiful, coastal.......and good soil for growing plants.:D

Just kiddin' on the last one.

All reports I've heard are very positive.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Brains,
Speaking to a mortgage broker (in Melb) who had a customer & wanted to buy property in 1770 for some sort of development. This broker also showed me a newspaper article (think it was Fin Review) & it showed all the movers & shakers who have purchased land in 1770. The list was resonably long & defintely wasn't cheap. But it looks like a place for excellent capital growth & expect some development in the area.

Think it will become the playground for the rich, who will probably fly in & out & bypass the hazardous road (although i am just guessing here). :D

Regards Tony

Brains,

Friday's Australian Financial Review had a story on 1770 & Agnes Waters.

http://afr.com/articles/2003/08/07/1060145779904.html

I've been hearing bits and pieces over the years from friends about this area. Never been there. Apparently John Cornell (Strop) of Paul Hogan Show and Byron Bay property fame bought up there quite a few years ago.

It fits my theory that anywhere with a good (or even ok surf) will attract older surfers who are cashed up and wanting to keep the dream alive. Supposed to be the last place North that gets decent surf and no marine stingers. Property is quite expensive in Agnes Waters.

Ajax

Awesome spot that I went very close to buying into. It is like Noosa was 30 years ago (undeveloped) but with late 1990's house prices (expensive). Not a bad bet if you could handle the risk, time and negative gearing.

Ended up buying in Noosa instead.

Damo :cool:

Originally posted by Kevin Hockey
It is "protected" by a very hazardous road which I believe is not much fun to travel.
The last times I visited 1770, the road to get there was corrugated dirt. If you can handle the bone rattling ride out there, it is well worth it. It can be a bit hazardous... you tend to get a bit of sideways drift happening when taking those corrugated corners at speed ;)

Once they fix that road prices could start taking off.

Does anyone know where we could find information relating to future/proposed main roads works, with estimated start and completion dates?

I have holidayed in 1770 twice in the past. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.

As a southerner I first read about Agnes Waters and 1770 in a Tracks surfing article in the late 70's/early 80's headed "Alas poor Agnes I knew you well." The article lamented the property development that was coming.

Tracks had several articles on J-Bay (Jeffreys Bay) in South Africa in the 70's (I'm told this has seen a lot of development). If I recall correctly J-Bay appeared in the late 60's surfing movie Endless Summer. There was a scene with a surfers car being bogged near Jeffery's Bay and several lions walking around/sitting on the car. Tracks also had an article headed "The hidden point of Ule" in the mid 70's. This was Uluwatu in Bali, which now has a cliff top hotel nearby.

Follow the surfers.

Ajax

Hi there.

1770 and Agnes Water are side by side. There is only about 2km left of the road that is not bitumen.

The local council is the Miriam Vale Shire Council. It is a beach area. The nearest regional towns to it, are Bundaberg (approx 120km) and Gladstone (approx 150km).

Land with a view is a very valuable commodity. I would say that there is plenty of land further back from the water, however.

I guess the area would depend on what your strategy is. There is no industry as such, except perhaps tourism. There is no highschool.

It's a beachy and fishing place and is very beautiful.

That's all I can provide and it's only what I know and also my opinion only.

Back