Severely sloping timber floor in sleepout

Have just been looking at a duplex with some dodgy-brother renovations which would have to be ripped out (tiling, kitchen cupboards, etc).

The main drawback was that the floor sloped considerably, especially towards the back of the duplex in the sleepout which leads to the kitchen and the bathroom. Some of this sloping floor has been tiled over in the bathroom area, making it even more noticeable.

Is it necessary to rip out all floor boards and replace or is it possible to chop them off half way along and have new floorboards put down?

Also, is it expensive to get someone decent to do it?
Can I do it myself (practical, neat type but obviously never done this before)?

I imagine the floor boards are at least 100 years old.

WattleIdo, you can look at this as a problem or you can look at it as a money making opportunity. Your choice. For instance:

chill_factore_interior_ski_slope.jpg

Depends on why its sloping. Termites could have eaten out the joists. Or the joists/bearers could be rotten, or the footings could have sunk, etc...

Many possibilities enjoy :)

Scott No Mates:Is it sloping away from the building to allow rainwater to drain off the deck?
Yes, sloping away i.e. down at the back. No deck out there - though kitchen and bathroom are. I think it's raised at the back but probably on a cement slab at the front, like most houses around here.
Tim86: Depends on why its sloping. Termites could have eaten out the joists. Or the joists/bearers could be rotten, or the footings could have sunk, etc...

Many possibilities enjoy
That sounds like a sensible train of thought. Was thinking this too. If, after a building inspection, it came back with rotten stumps, termite-eaten joists and damaged floor boards, is it easy fixed?? Or hours of fun... as your post implies.

Back