Sewage Pipe Cracked

I've got a call from PM regarding a blocked sewage. They had to call a plumber in and he cleared the blockage (Cost $350). Plumber has also said that there is a crack in the pipe and given a quotation to fix it (Otherwise, it will block again). Quotation actually says "Shaft Well Need to be dug up and replaced". Cost is $3250.00

I have to ring around and get few more quotes. Also, I'll ring this plumber and exactly find out what the problem is (Cos, I don't have a plumbing background and I've got no idea on what the quote means :confused:)

Has anyone come across this kind of an issue and at what costs involved?

I've attached a diagram of the property (hope you like my drawing :D)

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 89
I've got a call from PM regarding a blocked sewage. They had to call a plumber in and he cleared the blockage (Cost $350). Plumber has also said that there is a crack in the pipe and given a quotation to fix it (Otherwise, it will block again). Quotation actually says "Shaft Well Need to be dug up and replaced". Cost is $3250.00

I have to ring around and get few more quotes. Also, I'll ring this plumber and exactly find out what the problem is (Cos, I don't have a plumbing background and I've got no idea on what the quote means :confused:)

Has anyone come across this kind of an issue and at what costs involved?

I've attached a diagram of the property (hope you like my drawing :D)

Basically the situation is that the pipe comes across from the property to the sewer at a fairly shallow depth, say around 500mm deep.

Once it gets close to the sewer it drops vertically to the sewer depth. It sounds like the problem is in this vertical shaft.

If its going to be replaced it depends on the depth of the sewer which could be anything from 1m to several m. The local sewer authority should be able to give you an idea about depth.

With it being in the back yard the job could involve hand digging a hole to the full depth of the sewer. (not cheap)

Perhaps ask for a quote without the digging/filling? May not be an option for a rental, but the only time I had a plumber at my place, I paid 2 hours labour for digging. Lesson learned, if that type of issue happens again, I'll dig it out myself and just pay them for connections.

Perhaps ask for a quote without the digging/filling? May not be an option for a rental, but the only time I had a plumber at my place, I paid 2 hours labour for digging. Lesson learned, if that type of issue happens again, I'll dig it out myself and just pay them for connections.

Agree. I would have done the digging myself. But, as you said, not an option cos it's a rental.

I'm not comparing apples with apples here BUT, on another property, I've got a guy to do some excavation. He came with two big trucks and an excavator. Took out 7 truck loads of dirt and spent good 4/5 hours. Charged me 2K. So, bit over 3K for the sewage job seems a bit too much. But, as I said, it's not a good compare cos the excavation job didn't involve any plumbing.

Basically the situation is that the pipe comes across from the property to the sewer at a fairly shallow depth, say around 500mm deep.

Once it gets close to the sewer it drops vertically to the sewer depth. It sounds like the problem is in this vertical shaft.

If its going to be replaced it depends on the depth of the sewer which could be anything from 1m to several m. The local sewer authority should be able to give you an idea about depth.

With it being in the back yard the job could involve hand digging a hole to the full depth of the sewer. (not cheap)

I've rang the plumber and clarified the situation, bashworth is spot on.

Similar issue but cbs starting a new thread... =)

sorry to hijack this thread but i also have a similar issue/problem

i had a CCTV scan on the sewer and drainage pipes and the plumber discovered each of the pipes has a crack along a small section which he quoted to replaced and CCTV scan (2nd time). This quote is approx 3500 each for the sewer and drainage pipes

But .. as he had already scanned once and found a crack (which will be replaced) , why does he need to CCTV scan for the second time.. do you think it could be argued not to have this scanned to keep the cost down? (i personally think he may be trying to milk us for money).

this is for a strata apartment complex...

any opinions are welcomed... thanks

Back