Sewer manhole a problem?

Hi, not sure where to put this thread but I'm an FHB looking to build a new house. I just noticed in the engineering plan of the lot that there's a sewer manhole located in the right corner of the backyard. Have put in a deposit of $1k for the land and seriously considering to back off if it would lead to problems in the future, e.g. selling price, flooding, spills, etc. I understand that there would be easement for access to the manhole but still need more inputs. The land is located in the Innisfail estate of Point Cook. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi

Where does the sewer line run? It can seriously limit where you put the house, a shed, pool, etc? You'll need that info from council as well as what limitations they have regarding building near the sewer before making a decision.

Cheers

Shane

I just noticed in the engineering plan of the lot that there's a sewer manhole located in the right corner of the backyard

This would be quite normal, and probably has a connection point there as well, as long as the easment doesn't encroach under where you want to build, I would have no problem with it.

we had one down the side of my parents house for the last 30yrs and not a problem. My dad concreted around it for a driveway and I never really noticed it, no smells but just a faint sound of running water if you stood by it.
If you have it in the back corner then build a garden around it and cover with bark or something, so they can get to it if needed.
Apart from that as plusnq said, you will have to see where the line runs to know if its going to affect your house. Ck council and your house plans and see what extra costs might be needed.
I have a sewer line running across my block but the council plans show it totally in the wrong direction. We used the inspection holes 3 houses up on either side to locate the line so we could tap into it and sent the new plans to council. Later I wanted to build a shed and they said I couldn't as I was over the sewer line! I wasn't anywhere near the old or new plan?? Again sent the plans thru and they agreed it is all ok.
I want to tap the line again soon and I can't wait to see where they think it is this time.

Chris

If you have it in the back corner then build a garden around it and cover with bark or something, so they can get to it if needed.

Chris

I have one in my gargen covered in bark. Took me 4 years to discover it!
Find out where the piping runs, but its unlikely to be a big prob.

SEWER MANHOLES should never Be coverd up and the ground level around them should be kept 75mm lower but besides that if the block was big enough to subdivide it could prove advantagous as you would be able to connect your new sewer pipe to it. One of the houses i own has a sewer manhole and in the last 3 years it hasnt caused a problem

Thanks heaps for your valuable input guys! Deal it would be then. Looks like it won't interfere with the building... The red line is the sewer line and the manhole is the red dot.

3467650343_dbdd81e588.jpg

Agree with others that it's not a problem. I had a PPOR which had one right in the centre of our backyard, immediately behind our back deck. I think the authorities did come and access it once to repair a blockage or something, and it wasn't a problem at all. They knocked on the door and told me what was going on and how long they'd be, and didn't create any mess or anything. No worries. ;)

As others have said, you just have to be careful not to block access to it, and certainly not build any structures too close to it, but that's about it. You'll probably forget it's there.

I have a sewer line running down the side of my home . I picked up the block for about $20k cheaper than the blocks next door.

Only problem was that the house had to be built 900mm to the side of it.Turned out OK . There is actually room down that side to store a boat or caravan :)

This was no real problem. The home we built was not that wide but fairly deep.

I have also had cheaper blocks with easments at the rear. No problem at all.

Gee Cee

Greg

Back