sewerage diagram completely illegible - problem?

G'day everyone,
A newbie here, so apologies in advance for the possibly naive question.

I'm seriously considering making an offer into this property (freestanding house on 600 sqm land) in Inner West of Sydney for PPOR. Just received the contract yesterday and one thing in there worried me a lot:

* The contract includes a special clause, stating that there is a sewerage diagram attached to the contract and the purchaser will not seek any compensation in respect to the sewerage diagram
* However, the sewerage diagram attached is completely illegible. It looks like a hand-drawn copy, see tinypic.com/view.php?pic=289v1aw (also posted as a file).
It is not clear at all - compared to the diagrams I've seen in other posts in the forum, such as http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59044&highlight=sewerage+diagram
It's not a copying or scanning issue I suspect as the drawing is likely hand-made and very old, given it is not from Sydney Water but from Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board.

I'm not even sure if it's worth giving to a solicitor because what is the value if they cannot even read it. Should I ask the agent for a clean updated copy or should I directly ask Sydney Water about it?

Also, the title notes in second schedule: "reservations and conditions in th Crown Grant(s)". No other mention specifically of easements, but also no document provided to specify what the Crown Grant reservations or conditions are, which is worrying as it may mean an easement on the land from Sydney Water due to the sewerage issue, and iyt may preclude building over it unless it is encased in concrete. There is a granny flat on the property, but I've not seen a build over drainage certificate either.

Any suggestions? Am I getting worried unnecessarily here or could this be a serious issue?

Many thanks all for all thoughts!

Attachments

• sewerage diagram extract.JPG
    sewerage diagram extract.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 161
It's a poor copy due to the age of the property and when it was plumbed. Metropolitan water was what Sydney was called back in the day. The poor copy may be from syd water going electronic and scanning an old drawing.it's not a huge problem it's unlikely a plumber would need to see it or use it. To check for easements etc go to the dial before you digg website and get plans, it's free and will show if your on a crazy easement or what Mains are there, it will not shoe private plumbing that's what the poor quality drawing shows. (i have done a fair bit of work with sewer)

I'm pretty sure reece plumbing (or similar) issue the private plumbing sketchs(what you have) if you really want a copy, not sure if you need to be a plumber or not and there is a fee. If you need to be a plumber just go in with a case and one of the guys would be able to sort it.

By the looks of the sketch there is a VC main along the back fence which your private plumbing connects into.it runs to the house and branchs off to 2 points of the house or granny flat. If you had plumbing issues in the future a plumber wouldn't need the sketch most likely and be able to work out what's there from the toilet and trap locations etc.

your best bet is dial before you dig, the Sydney plans you recieve will be reasonably accurate and show easements but it's unlikely. Log into the system and follow the steps just tick boxes for planning works and excavation, don't be deterred it's all free and worth while for what your after. you'll get the syd water drawings within 15min usually. Upload a copy to forum when you get it

As for building over drains, building over private sewer is ok, that's your matter not Sydney waters.

Looks a lot what I get all the time. These are hand drawn sketches from plumbers who pass them onto council as works as executed drawings. I wouldn't be worried at all by this. If you wanted you could show it to a plumber for feedback.
Are you planning any extentions or additions?

gypsy, thanks for your question (dreadful sketch!) and link to other thread. I'm in a similar boat in regards to a sewer line in the backyard. Just adding another question to bob:
To check for easements etc go to the dial before you digg website and get plans, it's free and will show if your on a crazy easement or what Mains are there...

your best bet is dial before you dig, the Sydney plans you recieve will be reasonably accurate and show easements but it's unlikely. Log into the system and follow the steps just tick boxes for planning works and excavation, don't be deterred it's all free and worth while for what your after. you'll get the syd water drawings within 15min usually. Upload a copy to forum when you get it

I've tried this - have got phone, gas, and something else, but for the life of me can't find where to get a map of sewer lines or anything about sewer lines at all (NSW country).:confused:

gypsy, thanks for your question (dreadful sketch!) and link to other thread. I'm in a similar boat in regards to a sewer line in the backyard. Just adding another question to bob:

I've tried this - have got phone, gas, and something else, but for the life of me can't find where to get a map of sewer lines or anything about sewer lines at all (NSW country).:confused:

It should be included with the DBYD. Have you given them a few days to get back to you? Sometimes it can take time.

Otherwise in your case it would be council holding/owning the plans. You'll need to give them a call direct perhaps

Council will have these. I've never received them from dial before you dig. I'm in a regional shire. DBYD only gives me power and telecoms

Thanks guys - looks like they're not on DBYD. I'll need to go back to council.
:( Anyway, I kind of know already. The environmental woman told me that the easement is as wide (horizontally) as the pipe is deep (vertically). So it's either 1m or 1.2m.
gypsy - yes, I think it says it on the diagram.

Wattleido, personally i wouldn't trust the environment women, in your case i doubt it's a formal"easement"rather council has a right of access if they need to do work on the main, so dig up the yard if they needed to. Similar but different i guess.legal guru could provide more info

Hi everyone.

Thanks again everyone for the very helpful replies and for giving me the idea to look it up on dbyd.
I did that. The plan that came back was quite relieving indeed. See the attached file. The property I am talking about is lot 21 (marked as 18 here).

bob_shovel, based on my rudimentary understanding, I think you were spot on: As I see it, there appears to be a 225mm diameter vitrified clay sewer main, along the southern periphery border of the lot. It connects to private sewer cables that are inside the lot. It doesn't look any different than how the same sewer main connects to all the other lots in the same street.
I think this seems to confirm that there is no specific Sydney Water asset directly under the property and no easement. Did I get this right?

phew :) Now i can think about a proper offer size in this crazy market! :rolleyes:

Another short novice question: Given that DBYD only gives you info about the underground assets, I assume it is fair to use it for properties where you are not the owner. Would a DBYD search be then considered a standard due diligence step before buying any freestanding property with land attached?

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• sewerage diagram extract 2.JPG
    sewerage diagram extract 2.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 131
Wattleido, personally i wouldn't trust the environment women, in your case i doubt it's a formal"easement"rather council has a right of access if they need to do work on the main, so dig up the yard if they needed to. Similar but different i guess.legal guru could provide more info

OK - so conveyancer can let me know, I hope?

OK - so conveyancer can let me know, I hope?

I wouldn't pay some one just find someone on here or speak with a council engineer while you ask for plans. the drawing above from Sydney water would be similar to you, pipe running through but not a high lighted easement, just a pipe in your property

Back