Share house property management thoughts??

I am just wondering what's people's thoughts are on share houses looked after by property managers. I realise that not many real estates will take on share houses but there is a select few that deal majority in only share houses.

Is your share house run by PM?
Do you you think more places should offer the service?
Would you use the service if it was available? (Obviously at only a similar or cheaper rate to normal PM)

Have a couple of clients who run them and they seem to do ok.

Have also read on here people who have tried it and had a bad experience.

I think a PM would likely charge a higher rate to manage due to the higher maintenance combined with the complicated relational dynamics that can arise under such arrangements.

Depends on the share house. Recently worked with a lady who had a share house with 4 rooms. Place was a bit of a dump and they didn't keep it maintained, but it was cheap at around $135 a week per room.

Main issue was it always took longer than other properties to rent. Although saying that there was never a problem with the tenants when one was found. she made sure they all met each other prior to accepting a new tenant to ensure that they would fit in together.

Obviously at only a similar or cheaper rate to normal PM)

Higher turnover of individual tenants (typically) and potential for the need for multiple contact points (and people contacting you) would to my mind equal higher rates not cheaper? As a self-managing landlord I can tell you I would certainly prefer to be managing one family/couple/friend group than multiple individuals. Am I alone in this?

Higher turnover of individual tenants (typically) and potential for the need for multiple contact points (and people contacting you) would to my mind equal higher rates not cheaper? As a self-managing landlord I can tell you I would certainly prefer to be managing one family/couple/friend group than multiple individuals. Am I alone in this?

I agree with you. A friend group can be managed, not multiple individuals.

That is precisely the reason that agents steer clear of these. Not only are they the property manager but also have to be more intensely involved in screening the tenants and managing personalities. It is much more prudent for a group of friends to take on the lease than it is to have an agent charging probably double to handle all the goings on in a share house.

Back