share investments

Hi everyone,

I know for some on this forum shares is a dirty word, but my wife and I are trying to find out more about share investments and are also looking for a good share broker.

Does anyone know of a forum similar to this one but concerned with the share market? Plus, does anyone know of a good share broker?

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

John

Since a number of the 'Property Investors' on this Forum are also probably either involved or interested in Shares, can I suggest we add another room to the Forum called 'Share Investing'?

Show of hands?

:)

If you go to the ninemsn site, there's a group called Share Dabblers there for Australian share enthusiasts.

The last time I tried Stock Central was down for repairs. The site used to be excellent, however, the owner started a new pay for use site and SC has been a touch neglected since (understandable I guess, he wants people to use his pay for use site).
A lot of the old SC posters refused to pay and transfered there interest to the Reef capital site. url: http://silver.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
This site has a lot of experienced traders who are willing to share their experiences. I find it quite interesting.

Macca

Happy to put my hand up for Alan's suggestion.

As is reasonably well known to these who follow my methods, we use shares as a very viable form of diversification together with property investments.

Also by request we are putting an ASIC licensed Managed Fund together for our clients - as a safe medium in which to invest in the stock market.

SOME FEATURES:

NO Fees
No predictive technical analysis
Purely blue chip
Excellent performance record. (Including these past few sad years)

PLEASE NOTE: This is not meant to be an advertorial in any way; rather I am offering to give some input to help forum members with some free advice. Although my clients will use this medium, as might some forum members, 95% of the funds under management will accrue from the wholesale market.
(So what I am saying is that the amount of investment that might come about as a result of having a presence on this forum, will be inconsequential to the fund.)

I personally get wonderful value by following this forum and am always happy to contribute / help.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve.....

Before Steve takes a quick step backwards, may I then nominate Steve as the Moderator for such a room?

Now all we need is the virtual floor space......

Personally I could only see the inclusion of such a 'room' as an advantage to the members of this Forum.

Anyway...... why not give it a go and see what sort of use/benefit it gets. Easily removed if not being used sufficiently.

I'll second that nomination!

While there's no point reinventing the wheel, I still think it's a great idea within this forum. Thanks Alan
And you betcha, get Steve in before he can say no!
Luke

Interesting thread,

I understand that many people are interested in shares investing (hey, so am I!!!)

but...

before any alterations are made to the forum there needs to be some serious discussion at administrative level (That is Above us mere moderators!!). :)

Don't forget, this site is owned by the Somers' and they have set it up as a property investment information site, so don't be surprised/annoyed if they decide not to put shares in as a forum.

That's not to say that shares can't be discussed, they can, right here in the coffee lounge!!! (Watch our figures go through the roof now, Ruby!!!)

Just thought I'd put a comment in on this before you all lobbed onto Sim's doorstep pitchfork-in-hand... hehehe

Please also note, I am not saying it won't happen, I am just saying that there needs thought and discussion by the powers that be.

asy :D

Must say I agree with Asy,

Let us all be aware that this is in the first instance a PROPERTY Forum.

I do mention shares as a form of diversification from time to time, but see the use of and discussion of shares as a 'value adding' methodology, within the ambit of property discussion.

Thanks for the nomination Alan - sadly must decline, (You more than anyone know I've hardly time to breathe, never mind moderate!) Also, I always wish to remain at arms length from what might ever be perceived as having a vested interest in any way.

But, ALWAYS happy to help!:)

Regards,

Steve

Asy: I understand where your coming from and yes it's obviously Jan and Ian's call.

I guess I just saw it being useful in that so many Sites are EITHER Property OR Shares. BOTH seems to be a dirty word to many and the possibility of being able to discuss a bit of Shares with a still majority of property seemed to have some great synergies. Oh well, it's just an idea and I guess will be accepted or rejected along the lines you have suggested.

Steve: It was worth a try. Damn it......you stepped back too quickly..... ;)

Hi Steve,

I was wondering whether you posted to or had a presence on any share forums? If not, then I encourage you to post your views about combining share investing with property investing here in the Coffee Lounge.

I'm sure most of us are open-minded enough to learn something from your experiences. We recognise that everyone who participates on this forum has their own investing strategies and we encourage people to share them to promote discussion and education. At this stage it seems share discussions will be limited to the Coffee Lounge but this shouldn't stop anyone from discussing shares. If the discussions include combining a share and property investing strategy then those discussions will be of more interest to the property investors on this site.

Regards, Mike

Originally posted by Steve Navra
Must say I agree with Asy,

Let us all be aware that this is in the first instance a PROPERTY Forum.

I do mention shares as a form of diversification from time to time, but see the use of and discussion of shares as a 'value adding' methodology, within the ambit of property discussion.

Thanks for the nomination Alan - sadly must decline, (You more than anyone know I've hardly time to breathe, never mind moderate!) Also, I always wish to remain at arms length from what might ever be perceived as having a vested interest in any way.

But, ALWAYS happy to help!:)

Regards,

Steve

Steve don't we all have a vested interest in here?

While my brain is more receptive to property I realise the evils of the sharemarket are needed to balance out my investments......I have to rely on others opinions rather than the numbers I can add up and gut feel I have for property.

Originally posted by Alan H

I guess I just saw it being useful in that so many Sites are EITHER Property OR Shares. BOTH seems to be a dirty word to many and the possibility of being able to discuss a bit of Shares with a still majority of property seemed to have some great synergies. Oh well, it's just an idea and I guess will be accepted or rejected along the lines you have suggested.

Please don't forget what the point of the coffee lounge is Alan! :(

Just part of the description from the main page................Come on in, chat about anything......!! This really does include shares!! In fact we love talking about everything in here.

I for one would be disappointed if we had no share talk, so please............bring it here :D hey, and your first coffee is on the house..........but ssshhhh, don't tell Sim!!!

Ruby :)

Hmmmm great coffee Ruby. Thank you.

Yes, I realise we can talk about anything in the Coffee Lounge but I must admit I still think a separate dedicated room would be beneficial(my opinion only :)).

"Let us all be aware that this is in the first instance a PROPERTY Forum".

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this and I'm sure the main Discussion Room would always continue to be 'Property Investment - General',
That is why I simply suggested another aside room.

If some think that having a Shares Room on this Site would somehow be 'inappropriate' then perhaps it could be thought
of as the room where Property Investors also had the occasional side chat about Shares as realistically these are often part of an overall investment portfolio?

I also agree with the point that there are already other Sites 'dedicated' to Shares, however I thought the advantage of a trial Shares Room on this Site would be the input would most likely come from a group of people who were ALSO involved in Property. Would strike me as giving great balance when we are discussing many of our investment options and would in turn give a 'value added' product to Members of this Forum.

Anyway, as I said, it's just an idea.

Well I know nothing about shares, apart from the fact that my

free AMP and NRMA shares seem to be dying a slow death, :(

but I did find this article from the MoneyIQ Newsletter that I

receive quite interesting.

http://www.moneyiq.com.au/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POOR MARKET TIMING CAN REDUCE RETURNS

Table 1 shows how $100,000 would have increased in value over a 20-year period if you had invested each year in the best performing asset class of the previous 12 months.

That is, if you invested $100,000 in December 1981 in the best performing asset class of the previous 12 months (Australian listed property). At the end of 1982, you withdraw your money (it's now worth $105,172) from listed property and reinvest in the best asset class of 1982, which was international shares, and so on.

Using this strategy, after 20 years, your $100,000 investment would be worth $1,083,417.

In contrast, Table 2 shows the result of investing $100,000 each year in the previous year's worst performing asset class. Using this strategy, your initial $100,000 investment would be worth $2,796,048.

This highlights the greatest risk in attempting to time markets. It's not the risk of investing in a declining market, but the risk of being out of the market at the trough of a decline when sentiment is at its most negative and potential future returns are at their greatest.

/forums/photopost/data/506/18image1.jpg

[ EDIT: moved image to photo gallery and replaced with image link - Sim' ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back