Share your "but this time it's different" stories

There should be. I have mentioned them on here and elsewhere as pulling forward demand. Though most states have now restricted them to new builds.
What you believe 'should' happen is irrelevant. The market doesn't share your moral code.

Most people support grants and stimulus.

Those who already own houses enjoy the value of their homes getting another boost.

Prospective FHBs enjoy the ability to use the grant to buy sooner rather than waiting.

The complainers are limited to a minority of homeowners who don't want the value of their home to rise (i.e. not many people), and prospective future buyers who were unwilling or unable to make use of the grant while it was on offer, and therefore ended up being even more priced out (again, relatively few people).

So there will be a small vocal minority who complain, and these people will congregate on sites like Macrobusiness, and flood MSM article comments with complaints, but they have no real power.

The majority of voters are more than happy to take advantage of the free money.

And further to this (and I seriously hope this was tongue-in-cheek, but I somehow doubt it), there was a letter in the Herald Sun today... I paraphrase:
"A brand new Toyota Corolla is $25k. An 18-yo who only earns $5k a year would take ages to afford one. Someone should look into car affordability."

Don't start me... :confused: :(

$25k for a corolla?! there should be an enquiry into that

It makes sense that prices will keep going up. More people and less and less vacant land in popular areas to build and accommodate these people. So of course the person with the deeper pockets will get what he wants.

This cannot get any better with time. What are these complainers expecting to happen? As has been mentioned already, majority of people are absolutely terrible with money. 2FAST4U summed it up nicely.

Basically, it will come down to not everyone will be able to afford their own home.

Not everyone can afford to drive around in the newest Ferrari either.

A friend of mine once told me, buy as soon as you can. It will always be the same unless the world ends. Which will happen one day, and all these homes and buildings will sit empty worth nothing and nobody around.

We are just a speck floating in space, we are pretty insignificant if you think about it. Just make the most of your time while you can and stop whinging.

But Zos aren't the poor buggers that have no drive or determination that just want to whinge about house prices suppose to be looked after!

But Zos aren't the poor buggers that have no drive or determination that just want to whinge about house prices suppose to be looked after!

I guess they expect to be looked after hey.

But owning a home is not a RIGHT, but I guess some people see it differently.

I guess they expect to be looked after hey.

But owning a home is not a RIGHT, but I guess some people see it differently.

Owning a home in Australia has never just been a walk in the park. My dad worked his *** off for years before he bought his first home over 40 years ago, while is friends were gambling, drinking, partying and the rest. today, most of them are still renting.

Back