Share your story if retired before 53 in Australia

I thought I would be great to hear from the people on this forum who retired before 53 in Australia. Some of the people on here don't post much but have real stories to tell which one can learn from.... ;)

Just a couple of my definition of retired before 53 in Australia:

1. Working less than 7 hours in a J.O.B. - mostly just for fun
2. Earning income from dabbling in property, shares or other investments are ok.
3. Briefly tell us how you did it?
4. What sort of lifestyle you have and if you are brave enough how much income do you survive on.
5. Have you starting doing a transition to retirement on your super.
6. Anything else which might be interest for other people to learn?
7. Did you have any road bumps along the way?

Will let you know when I get to 53 :)

Honestly though - I want to keep working well into my 80s.

I spent some time with Bob Proctor a couple of years ago, I was another invited guest speaker at the same conference he was speaking at so we got taken out later by the event organisers and so glad I went.

He is a stunning example of a vibrant 80 year old. He spoke with authority and energy. He is entrepreneurial and constantly talked about plans to expand his office and ideas and visions - I spent 5 hours with him in the motel lobby coffee shop the next day and he just talked and talked the entire time. Wisdom not BS and whinging about who is not looking after him. There was no sign that this man has an intention to slow down. What an awesome way to be at 80. Alive and independent not half dead and needy.

I recorded his entire presentation on my ipad. He asked me later what I got out of it and I said "a vision of the energy I want to have when I'm 80" He then told me that he is young for his age because he does not like to hang out with old people. Seriously that makes so much sense.

Louise Hay is another example - every person I admire just keeps expanding and growing and achieving.

Why retire when you can just keep growing?

when a being loses his/her purpose - they age and die quicker.

Harry Triguboff, Frank Lowy, Richard Pratt, Gerry Harvey and plenty of others of their ilk don't need to work, they live to work! These guys put most half their age to shame when it comes to work or business.

Why retire if you enjoy what you do?

That's assuming that you love what you do. For me work simply gets in the way of things I want to do.

Retirement does not necessarily mean you sit on your hands and do nothing.

I thought I would be great to hear from the people on this forum who retired before 53 in Australia. Some of the people on here don't post much but have real stories to tell which one can learn from.... ;)

Just a couple of my definition of retired before 53 in Australia:

1. Working less than 7 hours in a J.O.B. - mostly just for fun
2. Earning income from dabbling in property, shares or other investments are ok.
3. Briefly tell us how you did it?
4. What sort of lifestyle you have and if you are brave enough how much income do you survive on.
5. Have you starting doing a transition to retirement on your super.
6. Anything else which might be interest for other people to learn?
7. Did you have any road bumps along the way?

Went that way for me when the Accountant we had at the time,said it's about time you stop work and live off the income,and my age was 44,15 years ago,and that was then and still is now from unencumbered property and liquid equities long term held holdings,it's not a big income,but after sitting around the campfire in a beach front caravan talking to other people retired ,and spending they go through,i'm happy to have that lifestyle,after all in real terms retirement is how much time you have to yourself..

Looking forward to hearing the stories. I am fortunate as an adviser I get to hear stories of people who enjoy retirement. Most tell me that they are far busier now than when they were retired.

Wow Willair...at 44..that is really something!

Are you able tell us more, such as:

1. Briefly tell us how you did it?
2. What sort of lifestyle you have and if you are brave enough how much income do you survive on?
3. Any learnings that you can pass on?

I agree that time to yourself is worth more than money...

Congratulations...I reckon...you are probably among the youngest people who retired I have heard before. :D And if oyu have been at it for 15 years....you probably have it down pat.

Went that way for me when the Accountant we had at the time,said it's about time you stop work and live off the income,and my age was 44,15 years ago,and that was then and still is now from unencumbered property and liquid equities long term held holdings,it's not a big income,but after sitting around the campfire in a beach front caravan talking to other people retired ,and spending they go through,i'm happy to have that lifestyle,after all in real terms retirement is how much time you have to yourself..

Last edited:
I'll be done by my 40th near the end of this year.
Gonna get serious with athletic development, play some poker, get good at golf, some travel and maybe do some property developments and share trading on the side.

Hubby could've retired by 53 - but his wife won't give up the expensive farm.

As it is, he could now retire at 55 in a few months, once the "transition to retirement" kicks in on his super ... we'll see how it plays out ... got some big decisions to make.

If we sell the farm and downsize to something smaller ... or ... if we sell a couple of the rentals ... or ... if he retires and we upscale our income off the farm ...

Last edited:
I retired at 36 but it wasn't in Australia. It's much easier to retire at a young age if you live somewhere with a cheap cost of living. Being single with no known kids also helps. I guess everyone can retire before they're 40 but it depends on your level of comfort. I've seen some people say they need $100k a year to live :eek:

Great they are getting younger well done... how have you done it....and what are you living on...LOR, LOE, property, shares...?:)

I'll be done by my 40th near the end of this year.
Gonna get serious with athletic development, play some poker, get good at golf, some travel and maybe do some property developments and share trading on the side.

Xenia...I think you might have posted on the wrong thread the one about self development is somewhere else. NOT everyone ones to work till 80....be entrepreneurial and be an inspiration to everyone. ;):D

Will let you know when I get to 53 :)

Honestly though - I want to keep working well into my 80s.

I spent some time with Bob Proctor a couple of years ago, I was another invited guest speaker at the same conference he was speaking at so we got taken out later by the event organisers and so glad I went.

He is a stunning example of a vibrant 80 year old. He spoke with authority and energy. He is entrepreneurial and constantly talked about plans to expand his office and ideas and visions - I spent 5 hours with him in the motel lobby coffee shop the next day and he just talked and talked the entire time. Wisdom not BS and whinging about who is not looking after him. There was no sign that this man has an intention to slow down. What an awesome way to be at 80. Alive and independent not half dead and needy.

I recorded his entire presentation on my ipad. He asked me later what I got out of it and I said "a vision of the energy I want to have when I'm 80" He then told me that he is young for his age because he does not like to hang out with old people. Seriously that makes so much sense.

Louise Hay is another example - every person I admire just keeps expanding and growing and achieving.

Why retire when you can just keep growing?

when a being loses his/her purpose - they age and die quicker.

53...thr target date...I am planning to call it...55 tops. :)
Why did you choose 53, as opposed to 43 or 33?

Yep...spot one...I want more time to travel and pursue more property related activities. Like you said no time to sit on ones hands.
That's assuming that you love what you do. For me work simply gets in the way of things I want to do.

Retirement does not necessarily mean you sit on your hands and do nothing.

Last edited:
Great they are getting younger well done... how have you done it....and what are you living on...LOR, LOE, property, shares...?:)

Built a business from scratch during the past 10 years.
The business funded our property development and property accumulation costs.
Sale of the biz will offset almost all debt and will end this cycle.
Will be living off rent of a few hundred passive by rough calcs.

Till I get hungry again...

Wow Willair...at 44..that is really something!

Are you able tell us more, such as:

1. Briefly tell us how you did it?
2. What sort of lifestyle you have and if you are brave enough how much income do you survive on?
3. Any learnings that you can pass on?

I agree that time to yourself is worth more than money...

Congratulations...I reckon...you are probably among the youngest people who retired I have heard before. :D And if oyu have been at it for 15 years....you probably have it down pat.
I guess one goes back to the start,late 1984 bought a property that was on the market for over 2 years on the side of a hill that over looked the gold coast ,put a "D9" throught the old car bodies in the front 10 areas built 2 dams ,and built a large shed on the pad 2 minutes in ,sold that 6 years later,bought 2 properties in inner Brisbane,and several blocks in a small town one hour from Brisbane and started doing slid on house removals split and bought for nothing in Brisbane, inbetween started investing in the floats that were around in the mid 1990's on the liquid ASX,some may say it's prostituted randomness,the money factor in country towns went downward then came back into Brisbane bought a few very very cheap properties mid 2000,from then I was a home dad 4 daughters nothing special,,being smart is above noticing things that are relevant ,,and ignoring the daily media splills that are irrelevant,,enjoy the ride Sash because it's get better as time goes on..

Back