Shared Laundry ? do I supply the washing machine ?

Question ...

I have a unit block of 5 and it has 2 x shared laundry spaces.. down stairs

Do I have to supply the washing machines ?:confused:

Its news to me ... ? :confused:

I am renovating and building in internal laundries as i go so this will eventually not be an issue.. but right now is it my responsibility ?:confused:

Thats a hard one,

If you were living there in flat 1 and put your washing machine in laundry 1,would you allow the others to use your own personal washing machine.

I believe it all depends if there is provision for 5 washing machines in the two laundry's all marked with the flat numbers just like the parking.

Another issue is who pays for the power and water in the laundry's,do they have separate power meters?

I had the same problem,different power meter to laundry,only provision for one washing machine so this alone could cause lots of problems in the future.

Solved:I only rent all five to one company and they turn the power on in the laundry in their name and I provided a heavy duty washing machine,has worked for me so far.

If the flats were separately rented,this would be a different story,I would solve that by turning the power on in my name and leave the washing machine there.

In your case probably best to buy one washing machine and tell them to share to keep tenants and to settle the issue.

I am sorry I don't know legally how it is suppose to work??

I have a unit with a shared laundry.
It's actually very strange.
The previous owner (of them all) had washing machines there for all to share. 3 machines- 12 units.

The units were all sold off around 2007. I bought mine in 2008. No-one knows who owns the machines, who services them or who collects the money. They are slot ones that you put money in. We've been chasing it up for years.:confused:

OK back to you. Are there tenants in there? was it written on their lease that washing machines will be supplied? Surely it would reduce the rent if they had to go to a laundromat each week?

I'd see if you can get a company to supply 1-2 with the coin slots. Or buy second hand. You can pick them up quite cheaply. You don't want to be spending a lot of money if you are going to put laundries in the units.

We have a duplex with a shared laundry. Use of the washing machine is included in the rent. It was owned previously by my grandmother and mother, so we just continued to do the same thing as they had done.

We have a coin operated dryer in our personal home.
Purchased for $60 because the owner didn't know how to fix it.Rob did.
We didn't care how often the kids wanted to use it then..instead of hanging clothes on the line.

Do you charge your kids to use the dryer or do you provide the coins for them to be able to use it? Or have you disconnected the coin bit?

Do you charge your kids to use the dryer or do you provide the coins for them to be able to use it? Or have you disconnected the coin bit?

Our home is unconventional.
It is a a 5 unit apartment house. We all took an apartment. The dryer is in a common area. The proceeds of the dryer go towards the electricty that runs the "house"..not our individual apartments.
Everyone is happy.
It costs $1 to dry a load of laundry.

OK. That makes sense. I couldn't imagine the ruckus if I wanted my kids to pay for using any appliance in our home laundry.

Having said that, I do the washing for everyone and unless I ask someone to hang a load of washing out or bring it in, it would stay where it is for weeks until the smell got too bad :D

Back