Shares as part of your overall investment strategy...

Having said the above - you need to educate yourself by reading etc.
1. Money management principals
2a. Fundamental analysis - is it for you.
2b. Technical analysis & charting - is it for you.
3. Have at least 100K that you can lose....hopefully not
4. Margin lending - understand that you sould NEVER EVER get a margin call on your loan. You should be in control of when you enter a share and when you exit a losing share.
5. Subscribe to quality newletter (and analysis if needed) and read forums. The Chartist is a good one.
6. Software & data subscription
7. PAIN when you have to sell at a lose.
8. Discipline to do what you have to do on a daily or weekly basis.

Now if you have a relative/friend that is a successful trader investor they may help you but you are responsible for your decisions and actions. ...

:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Steve, the main decision is whether you want to be a share trader Vs investor? If you want to be a trader then the above would be more relevant! And even as an "investor" there are easy ways to be invested in the market with minimal involvement if that's what you want.

Cheers

Last edited:
:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Steve, the main decision is whether you want to be a share trader or investor? If you want to be a trader then the above would be more relevant!

Cheers

Austini

very good point

"successful trader investor" sounds like a oxymoron to me.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi all,

This part of the list always annoys me....

Have at least 100K that you can lose

I have never met anyone who had money that they said they could afford to lose. This includes multi-millionaires, who tend to have even less money that they can "$afford to lose".

Those that did have money that they can "afford to lose" generally have lost it, therefore do not have money they can "afford to lose".

bye

While I'm waiting for a bit more stability in income for servicibility my partner and I have been putting some of our cash into shares. Having watched the market for an entry since December for what we believed to be a good point, we've made a nice return on our current investment.

A sizeable share portfolio will continue to play a strong role in our investment strategy, along with resi IP of course.

You are technically gambling on percentage growth in your investment property's as well you know this right?

Ridin-High,
I think the question is one asked by many who have never stopped to try to define the words in the question (I'm not being condescending at all - lots of people never stop to do this!). And others are already touching on this very point.
I went to a seminar once that defined the difference between gambling and investing. Gambling: game of chance where the odds are against you or unknown. Investing: using evidence such as supply/demand, historical data, govt. infrastructure implementation etc. to acquire growth assets.
Since I have always used evidence to put the odds in my favour, have subsequently always made money and used historical data then the answer again is a resounding "No!".
I am not gambling - technically or otherwise.
However, if you buy a share that is out of your control for the short term gain and the randy CEO can't restrain his abuse of power to his charges, and, the board turns a blind eye to his harassment due to his performance and there is a subsequent legal claim against the company then you are gambling - technically or otherwise. What gets me is that these people will now try to convince us that they did not know what the randy CEO was randy and that somehow this was his private life. Who here has worked in the real world?

Ridin-High,
I think the question is one asked by many who have never stopped to try to define the words in the question (I'm not being condescending at all - lots of people never stop to do this!). And others are already touching on this very point.
I went to a seminar once that defined the difference between gambling and investing. Gambling: game of chance where the odds are against you or unknown. Investing: using evidence such as supply/demand, historical data, govt. infrastructure implementation etc. to acquire growth assets.
Since I have always used evidence to put the odds in my favour, have subsequently always made money and used historical data then the answer again is a resounding "No!".
I am not gambling - technically or otherwise.
However, if you buy a share that is out of your control for the short term gain and the randy CEO can't restrain his abuse of power to his charges, and, the board turns a blind eye to his harassment due to his performance and there is a subsequent legal claim against the company then you are gambling - technically or otherwise. What gets me is that these people will now try to convince us that they did not know what the randy CEO was randy and that somehow this was his private life. Who here has worked in the real world?
Do seriously believe all that? :eek::eek:

That you are in total control but BHP is feeling their way in the dark?

THAT is the opinion. One that I believe is rubbish so I said so. A successful share investor MUST trade.

Sorry Sunfish, I thought I got my message across, typing is not one of my strong points.

I had used PA and deleted it and should have replaced it with PW but forgot.

So you understand why I think it is indeed an oxymoron, and why I and only me would believe that statement and indeed yours is rubbish.

Do seriously believe all that? :eek::eek:

That you are in total control but BHP is feeling their way in the dark?

Sunfish,
I'm not saying that at all. If you me read correctly, i do have money in shares. Your BHP example is good because it is exposed to national and international pressure that you cannot possibly predict. If China catches a cold, BHP will be ill indeed.
If you understand the trading model you let your wins run and contain your losses. Alternately, you might use a number of derivatives to magnify your wins or losses.
I'm saying that one company's shares do not correspond to the ASX200. One company's shares expose you far more to the foibles of that one company's management than a portfolio of property where 5% of $1m (50K) is greater than 100% of 20K.
But can you buy the whole ASX200 and limit your risk.
As i keep saying on this forum, I'm a millionaire. I'm here to educate others who want to learn.
You can gamble or you can invest. I do both but the difference is I know when I am doing which.
Bye

You can't study Buffett because he has never published (in spite of what is said here) so you must study Graham who Buffett studied. His philosophy is to buy undervalued stocks and hold until they become over valued. (His writings are about gauging value) By definition he must sell eventually. Buffett modifies this by taking control but that was never Graham's intention, nor is it a possibility for us.

Could we compromise and call it "Tending the garden"?

3. Have at least 100K that you can lose....hopefully not
4. Margin lending - understand that you sould NEVER EVER get a margin call on your loan.
"RED OCTOBER"
Hmmm,100k is 100k even if it's "OPM",and if that's the way you think then you will fall into the "Fast Bucks" trapdoor that quickly that your broker will not even have the time to make the call,next time you are walking past the
good people at the "SALVOS" 50 cent investment books shops go in and buy everyone you can and sit down and read everyone twice it never sinks in the first time,after all that's where you will learn about the 80-20 rule,, that's why those books are 50 cents the 80%paided over 30 bucks for them and 5-20k from some soap box upstart to learn how to trade the open markets,then did nothing,the 20% make their money out of the 80% that get blown out of the water that quickly by what they learn from "Soap Box Speakers"happens every day day in day out, my Wife asked me the last time around when we put 2 unencumbered high end inner city properties
on the block when CBA-NAB-BOQ were all down over 50% not long ago and margined into them all,all she asked was one question do you know what you doing with that look on her face that only a Lady can give a Man
all i said was one thing when they can tell me 100% what the weather will be like in the morning then i will listen,if not then it my way,after all if i gonna stuff it all up i'll do it my way..good luck..willair..http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/crash/

As always people have different ideas and often it depends when someone enters the share market (cycle) and how long they have been building there portfolio.

Keithj has a successful share strategy - there is a thread on SS about this.

MW had a painful margin call or 2 and sold his shares.

Another SS member sold down a 2 million IP porfolio and purchased shares - I wonder how their shares are doing now?

Personally, I have friends whose share portfolio has been halved and they have had to return to work 1 million retirement fund reduced to 500K. Also I have friends who have shares purchased regularly over a 30 years period who are doing well.

Horses for courses...

Kind Regards
Sheryn

"RED OCTOBER"
all i said was one thing when they can tell me 100% what the weather will be like in the morning then i will listen,if not then it my way,after all if i gonna stuff it all up i'll do it my way..good luck..willair..http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/crash/

Willair
Talking about weather I was trading the Hang Seng a few years ago when the exchange was shut down due to a typhoon! That was my wake up call that I didn't know enough about overseas trading, luckily I was short.

Bottom line
You are responsible for your actions and your money. ;)

Cheers
Sheryn

Personally, I have friends whose share portfolio has been halved and they have had to return to work 1 million retirement fund reduced to 500K.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Share prices go up and down, that's the nature of the beast isn't it?

Just remember that your 9% super contributions are probably going into shares, so you need to include this in your calculations.

.....and there is a good reason why that is....

The super fund managers have probably read the RTA and don't like what's in it !!

Hi guys,

So, how have you / do you use shares as part of your overall investment portfolio?

Regards,
Steve

Shares are just another wealth creation mechanism, just like property.

I invest in shares when i believe it is intelligent to do so, if i believe its not intelligent i dont.
I invest in property when i believe it is intelligent to do so, if i believe its not intelligent i dont.

Very simple.

Back