Sharing rooms -

2 bedroom villa where one person will get ensuite ... other will get toilet in shared living space area.

I don't think the company is wanting anybody to share a room. This is a two bedroom villa with one ensuite and another loo available.

I still would not like to share with someone I worked with, but it is two bedrooms, and some people seem to have missed that bit.

Why a company would even think that choosing this style of accommodation when they could book motel rooms, or similar single style accommodation, is beyond me.

Maybe by having people share a 2 bedroom unit the employer is hoping people might get to know each other a little?

I don't think it is a big deal at all but then I am not like most people :)

Dumb :confused:

People are there for / to work, being distracted by some person you have never "lived" with before is just dumb !!

We all may have personal habits that we don't wish "strangers" and workmates to be aware of, opens the door to endless ribbing and teasing after the event and back at work.

Stupid new age touchy feely BS :mad:

I refused to take part in one of these stupid weekends where team spirit was to be built, the boss said you have to take part, I said no I don't I quit !! He said lets not be hasty, I said I am going home, bye :)

He got the flick and I became boss :D

I don't think the company is wanting anybody to share a room. This is a two bedroom villa with one ensuite and another loo available.
I got that; it still means sleeping in a room without a lock between you and somebody who is effectively a stranger. It probably means being seen by a colleague in your pyjamas, and I can imagine many people would be uncomfortable with that, and rightly so. I don't think any employer has the right to expect an employee to do so.
We all may have personal habits that we don't wish "strangers" and workmates to be aware of, opens the door to endless ribbing and teasing after the event and back at work.
Absolutely. Whether you snore or not, what time you go to sleep and wake, how much you smoke/drink, TV watching habits, what you have for breakfast... there are all sorts of things about yourself which your colleagues wouldn't normally know, and which you shouldn't be "forced" into sharing with them against your will by having to co-habit with them.

Like Simon, I've been in the military and endured complete loss of privacy, but that's part of the deal when you join the military - they "own" you. It's not assumed to be part of the deal with a 9-to-5 job, and unless it was part of your conditions of employment that you have to share accommodation with strangers, I believe it's reasonable to expect single accommodation on any business trip.

I got that; it still means sleeping in a room without a lock between you and somebody who is effectively a stranger.

Absolutely agree. I would not like to be "roomed" with anybody either.

Like Simon, I've been in the military and endured complete loss of privacy.....

I am curious as to whether the women in the military were expected to use communal toilets (or showers)? I cannot imagine so, but would love to know.

I am curious as to whether the women in the military were expected to use communal toilets (or showers)? I cannot imagine so, but would love to know.
Usually they were communal, but only with your own gender. So, for example, when I was on basic training, where I showered was for women only, but there were no cubicle walls - just a long row of shower heads. Rather disconcerting at first! :eek:

I never encountered communal toilets like Simon described - thank goodness - but I have used cubicle toilets (ie multiple cubicles in one room, like public toilets) which were used by both genders. I recall one awkward moment where my male boss and I walked in at the same time from doors on opposite sides, and sat in adjacent cubicles. I was ultra quick, I can tell you!!!! I wonder if he felt as awkward sitting there as I did?

Most of the men - those with common sense ;) - didn't use the urinal in the mixed toilets, but I was still amazed just how many times I walked in and found a male blushing at the urinal and looking flustered as he desperately tried to "finish up". :rolleyes:

if possible i also would upgrade to a private room (even if smaller etc).

having been to several conferences and shared i pulled the plug and began to pay for my own room.

it's really nice to be able to retire to your room and not feel compelled to be sociable with anyone when you just want to watch the late movie, eat a box of chocolates and then sleep without all sorts of weird noises.

I feel unusual.

I would prefer to share than be sitting on my own in a sterile hotel room watching TV and sampling the mini bar.

ive shared with a colleague before( from a professional office), no probs, both young blokes went fine.

i would prefer not to share for work but i dont care,

military toilets??
In this lesson we will complete ** break
at the end of this lesson you the soldier will be able to take a ** without soiling your issue boots, pants, requiring sick call for rashes, or creating an odour that can be traced by the enemy

watch now a complete demonstration of ** break

this can be taught in stages
By number
** break one
** break two

calling the time
Section,
wait for it
** Break
Pants, two three
sit, two three
**, two three
wipe, two three
shake, two three
pants, two three

good
you learned the basics
with further practice in your own time, as required, you will become more proficient
your next lesson in this series is 'brushing your teeth' with Cpl Boot GP <<--gp boot
your next period of instruction is breathing, with 2lt Dolittle <<-- all 2lt do little: how to scare a soldier, tell him his 2lt has a map
Section
to your duties
Fall out​

Last edited:
It probably depends on the culture of your workplace but the times when I've shared villa's or houses with workmates have been my most enjoyable work related travel experiences. Much better than sitting in a hotel room by yourself in my opinion. That said I think they should at least give you the option of having a single room, but I personally would opt for sharing a large villa over having a small hotel room to myself.

Anybody who has endured communal toileting with ten close mates would not be terribly bothered by sharing a room LOL :D.

I'm not sure about that... at one stage I roomed (not house... one room, with bunk beds, and only 3 wardrobes btw us!) with 13 girls for 4 months, with communal bathrooms/ kitchen etc........ I think that has put me off for life.

BTW, I'm writing this sitting on my own in my hotel room.... I love it!
With kids, husband, work, etc, I get so little "solitary" time when I'm at home, so time alone in my hotel room is one of my most favourite parts of business travel. Often when I have a day off, I don't go sightseeing, I spend the day in the hotel, order in room service and read a book - heaven!

Pen

I haven't got an issue with it. Have shared rooms in Youth Hostels and Backpackers heaps of times. And presume if I was in the army or a mining camp, I'd have to share a dorm..... not to mention a prison cell :eek:

I'd have the shlts if the other party snored though.

And I don't think I'd want to share with a strange woman. They're too precious and suspicious, and hog the bathroom for an hour at a time and never put the toilet seat up after they've finished.....

BTW, I'm writing this sitting on my own in my hotel room.... I love it!
With kids, husband, work, etc, I get so little "solitary" time when I'm at home, so time alone in my hotel room is one of my most favourite parts of business travel. Often when I have a day off, I don't go sightseeing, I spend the day in the hotel, order in room service and read a book - heaven!
:cool: A true kindred spirit. Enjoy, girlfriend! :)

This is why I love not having a job. With 21, 18 and 14 year old "boys" and having had one or more at uni for three and a half years, my "me time" was getting less and less. Instead of having the house to myself all day, I had young men lolling about making it look messy :p.

As soon as I made towards the kitchen I would hear "are you making a cup of tea?". At least the middle boy made me one often, but the older one never offered.

Hubby has been on LSL for 11 months (back on Tuesday :eek:) and second boy now at uni means he is home a lot too. I LOVE it when there is nobody home and I can do what I want, when I want with nobody wanting anything of me.

I also love being on holiday and just reading a book.

upset, nobody thought number 1s, number 2s, was funny :confused:
Its not like my humour is too HighBrow
It was funny... but for me, a little too close to home. ;)

I had a 23 yo woman come and work for me when I was in the military, fresh out of rookies, and she always smelled very bad. :eek: I had to physically show her how to shower, and explain that you had to use soap, and then apply deodorant after the shower. I also had to explain the use of "feminine hygiene products" to her. :eek:

It was reminiscent of these scenes from the excellent series "Commando: On The Front Line".

I had a 23 yo woman come and work for me when I was in the military, fresh out of rookies, and she always smelled very bad. :eek: I had to physically show her how to shower, and explain that you had to use soap, and then apply deodorant after the shower. I also had to explain the use of "feminine hygiene products" to her. :eek:

The mind boggles! Who does not know how to shower and apply deodorant? And how on earth can you not use feminine hygiene products if you are female? All I can say is Eeewwwww. :eek:

The mind boggles! Who does not know how to shower and apply deodorant? And how on earth can you not use feminine hygiene products if you are female? All I can say is Eeewwwww. :eek:
Yah, it was very ick. I wondered if she was raised by wolves...

Back