Sharp drop for economy IMF warns

You may be interested to know that Sinaporean politicians get performance bonuses based on GDP growth. >10% growth allows them about 8 months bonus and between 6% to 9.9% GDP growth, they are awarded about 2-3 months bonus.

Not exact figure, but it gives you an idea that the Singapore government is focused on growing the economy; sometimes even to the extent of 'growth at all cost'.

Regards,

Daniel Lee

So when are they bringing in a carbon price ;)

So, Japan is selling Australian produced food at a premium to China and Hong Kong? Amazing! Considering high food and labour costs in Japan.

Just what the industry needs? Another middle man taking no risk and getting all the cream. But go for it. Yeah, let us know how you go? What are you doing, or is it a secret yet?

See ya's.

There are more millionaires in China than you'd ever imagine that their spittle could probably flood your house, for want of a better metaphor, and they can afford to buy much premium products from any country. In a few decades, there'll be 700 million middle class in China, just nearly double America's entire population (which of course includes its 46 million people below global poverty line). If you walked in to City Super in Hong Kong you'll see what I'm talking about - but if your life revolved around Woolworths and Coles then I can understand if you don't see what I'm saying.

Re my deal - no need to tell people about what it is, but suffice to say it is in excess of $50m and I'm glad to have a stake in it and currently act as a director of the holding company. Not sure what you mean by middle man when my family's involved in industrial land development with this investor and jointly invest in agribusiness. But anyway.

Maybe one day when you travel for the first time you'll be buying some of this company's premium agribusiness products. I'll give you a discount if I ever knew.

So true, Ausprop. I just hope we don't destroy most of our prime agricultural land in the name of mining resource.

What are your thoughts on CSG? The byproduct is a worry. Companies will lease the land and go, leaving god knows what behind.

The ASX was a bloodbath yesterday.....my portfolio acquired 2008-2009 has broken even. Aussie Dollar went .98c!

We are certainly in for some interesting times. :)

Regards JO

There's a new legislation called Strategic Cropping Land. Don't worry all your Queensland farmland has been enshrined.

Re my deal - no need to tell people about what it is, but suffice to say it is in excess of $50m and I'm glad to have a stake in it and currently act as a director of the holding company. Not sure what you mean by middle man when my family's involved in industrial land development with this investor and jointly invest in agribusiness. But anyway.

Maybe one day when you travel for the first time you'll be buying some of this company's premium agribusiness products. I'll give you a discount if I ever knew.

Can I get a discount?

Several of my partner's sons' mates are engineering students.
I've helped them with several projects.
None of them knew how to hold a screwdriver or hammer efficiently, or had ever used a torque wrench. They were essentially clueless on how to best apply additional leverage to a tight nut.
I can only wonder at how tradesmen who actually do the work engineers delegate, snow them about how long a job will take under specific conditions.

A bit off topic, but as a consulting structural engineer, I would point out that in most cases knowing how to use a tool is not an engineering job.

I don't know how to use a hammer properly. But I do know how to calculate the maximum uplift forces and determine tie down requirements.

I don't know how to use a torque wrench, nor do I care how the person on site achieves a /S, /TF or /TB connection beyond that it's feasible. But I can calculate a connections capacity to resist tearout failure, bearing failure, bolt tension failure, weld failure and check the connection to resist bending moments and shear.

Bottom line, each profession has their own role to play. I won't deride a builder for not being able to analyze a frame and locate beam and column restraints to prevent buckling. So I wouldn't expect him to deride me for not knowing how to physically use a torque wrench.

I don't know you, so it's not personal, but to me your post appears very silly.

and the fools still rush into USD

One must always ask themselves what are the 'big boys' doing. Because its the big boys that move markets, not us little retail pipsqueaks.

The rush to USD is effectively two factors:
(a) unwinding of positions where one shorted US$ and went long something else. When the position is unwound you have to sell the asset you went long in, and buy back the US$ you shorted in the first place.
(b) moving to a defensive asset, ie US$, until you can figure out your next trading opportunity. ie preservation of capital.

ie the markets are moving based on trading, not on investing. No one in their right minds would be 'investing' in straight US$ (ie the dollars themselves, they might still invest in an asset expressed in US$)

One must always ask themselves what are the 'big boys' doing. Because its the big boys that move markets, not us little retail pipsqueaks.

The rush to USD is effectively two factors:
(a) unwinding of positions where one shorted US$ and went long something else. When the position is unwound you have to sell the asset you went long in, and buy back the US$ you shorted in the first place.
(b) moving to a defensive asset, ie US$, until you can figure out your next trading opportunity. ie preservation of capital.

ie the markets are moving based on trading, not on investing. No one in their right minds would be 'investing' in straight US$ (ie the dollars themselves, they might still invest in an asset expressed in US$)

sure, it's safe. for now. It's like a game of parcel the parcel (as my daughter calls it), eventually the music stops

sure, it's safe. for now. It's like a game of parcel the parcel (as my daughter calls it), eventually the music stops

I like your analogy Ausprop:), not sure if it applies though.

I once had a little girl bite my hand when I tried to stop the music. Come to think of it...she had red hair....

Regards JO

Back