Sheriff's coming tomorrow

The sheriff is booked for tomorrow morning to remove my non paying tenant. Is it a quick thing, tell them to leave and that's it or is it many hours of allowing them time to pack and get all their things out and arguing their right to stay? Is there any reason where a sheriff doesn't have the right to evict them (apart from payment of rent)? I drove past the house today and looks like just a normal day - chairs out the front and a bookshelf full of shoes at the door so I expect she hasn't made any efforts to pack her things.

John Wayne is big leggy!:D

I once saw the process here in qld about 12 years ago. I walked past the house at about 7.30 am on the way to work and a news car was parked outside awaiting the story to unfold (no doubt having been notified by the soon to be evicted person with a view to gaining sympathy or have the landlord back off).

Came home at about 8.30-9pm and the entire household contents were sitting on the footpath. Whilst I walked past the evictees arrived back in their 2 door Lada and started loading a few more of the smaller items. I felt a bit sorry for the kids (8-10) left to watch over the goods but the rest of the stuff was removed the next day.

House sold at auction a few months later.

Take a few photos as a motivator the next time a tenant gets tardy.

not quite at the stage of eviction but also have 2 non payers in arrears. agent has begun the process so time will tell.

their lease ends in april but if not paying we will want them out before then. of course many pay just in time to avoid eviction. meanwhile our bills still need to be paid.

thank goodness for insurance.

You should definitely get a camp chair and some popcorn and watch from across the road!

pinkboy

Sheriff is just such an unaustralian word isnt it? Whenever someone says Sheriff i conjur up a scene from blazing saddles or something.

Turns out the sheriff office in penrith has just closed down so removing tenants will be even more difficult in these parts moving forward.

My PM (Hartcourts Beenleigh) milked another $55.00 for 'Barclay MIS Insurance'. Apparently they do this dirty work.
Initially I was a bit hesitant thinking it should be the PM's job. Then I thought... oh well.. it is just $55 per year.

For my one eviction, the tenant chose not to turn up.

I still had to remove all his stuff and have it stored. I had storage on site, but he as a hoarder. He had a huge amount of stuff and all filthy.

it really is amazing how some people have no sense of responsibility. of course some are facing hard times but some seem to not care or have respect for others property. people can be poor but why are some so filthy? and yes its not just the poor that are dirty or careless about their surroundings.

little consequences about paying their bills too.

good luck with the vacant possession and hope there is not too much mess to clear up.

it really is amazing how some people have no sense of responsibility.

Recently we had a tenant "fall on bad times" and moved out leaving a filthy mess to clean up.I called him about it and he said bad luck,i had to deal with it.Anybody who knows me would know i do deal with things sometimes out of the norm.
I got his forwarding address from the agent(yes,he willingly gave it to her),loaded all the remaining stuff being old furniture,fridge etc etc on the trailer and called him again."i will be around in 20 minutes to reunite you with your things",the reply was he would be around to deal with it,which he did.It helped that i also made a call to his new landlord,the caravan park manager,advising him of my intentions to reunite him with his things.Maybe not all ethical,but worked for me.

sounds ok. pity it takes up our valuable time though? perhaps they are like children with challenging behaviour except they never grow up. there seems to be no real consequences or reasons for them to change.

pity we cannot name and shame on here. not all are listed on tica just as not all offenders have convictions recorded. life goes on.

Family friend who had a terrible PM then ended up managing privately told me about her horror story with a tenant over xmas drinks. She had a tenant trash the house and refuse to leave, went to tribunal and they favoured the tenant, only way to get her out was to give her a good reference so she could continue to rent elsewhere. I didn't agree with what she did as now another LL will have to likely deal with bad tenant again, but guess she was desperate and wanted a quick resolution.

But guess it worked out for the better as she only has a few rentals left with long term tenants and now focuses solely on developments, from our discussions she's doing extremely well.

What I got from it was that a good property manager is a must.

Also development is were some great $$$ can be made :)

The sheriff is booked for tomorrow morning to remove my non paying tenant. Is it a quick thing, tell them to leave and that's it or is it many hours of allowing them time to pack and get all their things out and arguing their right to stay?

They do allow a bit of time to pack and go, but it certainly isn't drawn out. Literally "things out into the front lawn thing".

The Y-man

Thanks for your replies. Apparently she pretty much walked out with her car keys. House is still fully furnished so first step is to shift it all into the garage and work out what needs fixing/upgrading. Thankfully the house hasn't been trashed.

Yep, think she's applied for crisis housing as she asked the agent for rental ledgers and lease agreement a little while back. Tough life to decide not to pay rent and given a house as a reward.

only way to get her out was to give her a good reference so she could continue to rent elsewhere. I didn't agree with what she did as now another LL will have to likely deal with bad tenant again, but guess she was desperate and wanted a quick resolution.

I wonder if you can sue for damages if you receive a fraudulent reference?

BG, I believe you should read the Act for NSW and see what it says about goods left on premises. I know in QLD, abandoned goods have a strict process that needs to be followed. Some time ago, I had a tenant jailed for unpaid fines, the day before we have the police assist with regaining possession. I had to treat her possessions as abandoned goods, and it was a time consuming process. If not followed you may find yourself in strife.

Peter it's 14 days here for goods left on the premises. Writ was issued so we can dispose of everything except official documents at that time.

The fathers of each of the children arrived at the house to get the kids belongings today. Tenant didn't show. She has beautiful baby momentos in the house that I couldn't dispose of even if she doesn't return. Makes me really sad for those kids that her new boyfriend has taken her down the drug path. Apart from holes in the walls the place looked like a lovely little home.

Back