Shipping Container House

Im back

I havent been on here for almost a year so I thought I'd update those lovers of shipping container houses with some new finds.

This one is my new favourite. IMHO it is the best adaptation of a shipping container I have seen. It should please even the sceptics.

It cost 40K to construct and is located in Costa Rica. Apparently it has come in cheaper than it costs to build low cost housing in Costa Rica and you have to agree the results are outstanding.

There are several web sites that this house is on but I think this is the best one in terms of pictures and explanation.

http://www.homedsgn.com/2011/06/16/containers-of-hope-a-40000-home-by-benjamin-garcia-saxe/

If I can remember how to post pics.......... Back soon with pics once I work out how to do them again.

Bugga, cant seem to add pics when editing. I will have to do another post.

Last edited:
Pics

OK, hopefully I can post some pics of this very nice shipping container house in Costa Rica.

Attachments

• Containers-of-Hope-08-750x477.jpg
    Containers-of-Hope-08-750x477.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 775
  • Containers-of-Hope-11-682x1024.jpg
    Containers-of-Hope-11-682x1024.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Containers-of-Hope-13-750x549.jpg
    Containers-of-Hope-13-750x549.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 188
some more

some more and apparently my message is too short so I now have to rave on about stuff in order to be able to post the pics!

Attachments

• Containers-of-Hope-42-750x495.jpg
    Containers-of-Hope-42-750x495.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Containers-of-Hope-11-0-750x500.jpg
    Containers-of-Hope-11-0-750x500.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 176
Kamak,
I have done some extensive research on shipping container houses (it is my obsession after all) and the general consensus is that the best insulation is a spray on ceramic type on the outside. Notice I said OUTSIDE as insulating the inside can cause condensation. Of course spraying insulation on the outside can ruin the industrial look if you are keen on showing the origins of your building materials.

They also require some ventilation as they are pretty airtight.

Ive done lots of research on design, materials and the structural issues of using shipping containers as well as obsessing and dreaming about doing this one day.

I could rave on for ages about this subject but I'd probably bore most people to death.

Aaron, there are a few examples of shiping container houses in Aus. I'll try to find the few that I have book marked and get back to you. There is an Architectural firm in Melbourne (I think) who is going into shiping containers. Give me a bit to find the pics and web site.

OK here is one

Righto,
here is the first one I can find easily.

"Fabricated from disused shipping container. Brainchild of Geoff Fulton and Carla Salomon of Fulton and Salomon Architects. Portarlington Rd. Leopold. Photo: Gary Medlicott."

on this website
http://news.domain.com.au/photogallery/domain/shipping-container-houses-20110216-1avwa.html

Pic:

There is actually one about 10 mins drive from my place. Very averagely done, but a shiping container house none the less. I presume they have council approval as it is right on a reasonably busy road.

Attachments

• SCH Australia.jpg
    SCH Australia.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 155
Quite like the idea, more-so for a shack of sorts. Though that Costa Rican design is certainly something I'd live in (with a couple of modifications of course :))

From china

Was looking at this subject a few months back. Found these guys on alibaba. Thoughts there designs/fitouts were attractive...

http://todayehouse.en.alibaba.com/

Any one done this yet?

I am considering doing a container home in Darwin. Not sure if I can get approval yet, Also need to find some one who is willing to draw my plans up and do the engineering etc.

From Realestate.com.au

Talk about a grand design.

This jaw-dropping Brisbane property, made out of 31 shipping containers, is a one-off bespoke design by experienced builder Todd Miller of Zeigler Build. The only other similar house in Australia has been built from five containers.

157639_rsd.jpg

157638_rsd.jpg

157634_rsd.jpg

157628_rsd.jpg

Wow! I really like that house in Graceville.

Very interesting concept, but not cheap in the way he has done it (the 10m video interview of the builder tells it all).

Not far from me, so may need to drive by and have a look.

Wonder what it will sell for. Flood area of course.

Back