Shipping container

I was thinking of adding a shipping container for storage to a property I am purchasing in the Wyong Shire NSW. It looks like you need council permission.

Has anyone had experience of this with Wyong shire?

I was looking at a 20ft one, what would people expect to pay for a second hand one with no leaks or rust.

There is a slab down the driveway so it could sit happily there and not block anything and be the right distance away from fences.

The other option is to build a garage but I only need it for storage and I think it would be quicker.

Thanks and sorry if I have posted in the wrong section, I will be living at the rear of the property o(n the old garage that was converted to a sleepout) and renting the house out and using the shipping container myself.

If you want to leave it permanently on site you will need WSC permission.

Belong to a community group in WSC and spent over 6 months getting approved
for a shipping container despite the group being associated with council.
A number of sites was chosen but a number of neighbours complained about
the DA so could be an issue for you.

We bought new with a government grant , cost $7000
It came from Royal Wolf which I think have depots at West Gosford and Newcastle, they can customise to your requirements.

The shipping container company Hunter has one from $1980 and delivery is pretty cheap at $121

They said to have a chat with the neighbours and if they don't mind I shouldn't have any problems.

Might be very nice to the neighbours then, only parking opposite and the neighbours on the right are renters that live a bit rough so they shouldn't mind. Only one to go:)

I have heard $3k.

A local landscape supplies company got one and clad it with corrugated iron, put a pitched roof and veranda on it and cut in windows with deep red gum sleeper reveals and added a counter....It looks great.

Peter

I have heard $3k.

A local landscape supplies company got one and clad it with corrugated iron, put a pitched roof and veranda on it and cut in windows with deep red gum sleeper reveals and added a counter....It looks great.

Peter

I would love to see a picture and the final costs on that Peter.

I was looking at a 20ft one, what would people expect to pay for a second hand one with no leaks or rust.

humm I wished you would post this few weeks earlier.
I purchased a property in New Castle way which had a cargo in the back yard for builder storage.

I panicked and asked the Agent if he could find anyone to take away. Next day was gone.

not sure of condition, but let me find photo

now people will tell I could've sold it, and got a new kitchen for it..:eek:

I love the look of those shipping containers

here is some more.

IMG_6433.jpg

Last one , this time inside.

FYI they fitted sleepers as window reveal. and put roof and awning over it and clad in colour bond corrugated.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_6431.jpg
    IMG_6431.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 138
Looks great! Is that a storage area inside?

Not really. It is the office and store for land scape supplies & equip hire company.

What you see is shelves with items for sale like 2 stroke fuel, pipe joining glue, omascote, etc.. but yes you could put more shelving.

They have closed off the entry doors, which is the end your see, and cut a door in the middle, windows either side, classic house shape.

Another pic, last one I have.

IMG_6430.jpg

Regards Peter

Not really.

They have closed off the entry doors, which is the end your see, and cut a door in the middle, windows either side, classic house shape.

Another pic, last one I have.

View attachment 12236

Regards Peter

This is awesome :) Looks like the perfect house for a retreat in the mountains, or just downsizing to save money. I've seen a mobile kitchen version built by the Benevolent Society which even has electricity hooked up for the fridge. Now I'm tempted to build one myself.

So can someone tell me, how much to buy two for storage and have them transported 1hr form Melbourne CBD? Or give me a link to someone. Condition is waterproof no rust but not new.

Thanks Peter

You need a water tight container and at least in BNE they are around the 2,500$ mark.
Keep in mind delivery and later on how it may be collected. Tilt tray or mini lifter?
In my opinion, as I spend a lot of time opening containers for unpacking, it can a bit luck of the draw if you get one that is easy to open or not. Sometimes we have to have the toplifter forklift pick them up so we can shut them, or it is impossible to get them shut again. The ground has to be very level or you won't be able to open and shut it easily.
You might get one that will bust your chop every time you want to open or close the thing. You would have to do regular maintenance to keep it opening well.
The thing will end up with ugly rust stains on it too, and a lot of the ones sold off that are no longer sea-worthy are already quite old and have had numerous repairs and patches put on it and are dinged up.
There are also different types of containers with varying amounts of vents.
They all get really, really hot and don't ventilate well and will trap fumes and odours.
For modified ones: we have one as our office for work. It has insulation fitted so it is not so hot. The doors and windows leak and hence the floor has rotted in places. You would want to ensure they are fitted out and sealed very, very well. And it makes phone and internet reception a real pain.

Back