"short sheeting" roof repair method

The Reno Kings book makes mention of a low cost (metal) roof repair method called "short sheeting". Does anyone have any details/experience with this?

My understanding of this is that instead of replacing a whole tin roof, a "short" piece is slipped between the two sheets where the rust is the worst and screwed down to give a layer of ripple iron that is watertight between two older rustier pieces.

It used to be done a lot to give several extra years of use before having to re-roof completely.

Metal roofing can be ordered in specific lengths so you can sheet from the ridge cap down to the eave without a join. I assume getting sheets in specific lengths costs a premium.
Maybe what they mean is that short lengths of roofing - often offcuts - would be available cheaply? I'm just guessing. The shorter bits would just be lapped. All that means is that you would have a few visible lap joins on the roof, which would would not really detract from the look.
If you knew that you had a roof replacement job coming up, you could start collecting short lengths of roofing and storing them.
Scott

What I was describing used to be the norm for the older tin roofs that were installed in shorter sheets, so, unlike today, you would see several joins from the ridge to the gutter. If you look at old houses, you can see where there are two sheet ends, maybe one inch of the bottom one showing, where a short sheet has been slipped between the two rusty ends to make it waterproof. Whatever rain seeps through the top rusty layer, runs down the new short piece onto the roof.

You just don't see it around much anymore (not that I have looked lately). I guess a new roof is pretty cheap nowdays and people seem to have more money to renovate.

It was very common in Brisbane 20 or more years ago. I used to know it as "re-sleeving" I think.

Back