shoudl I change this PM?

Hi everyone

Below is the message from the PM?

'Hi Vincent your tenant has reported the toilet to the main bedroom is not flushing also the kitchen sink has blocked as well as the dining light switch button has become loose.Would you like us to organize the repairs?'

There was already a similar request last year straight after I raised the rent and this just came to my email inbox after the rent was increase two weeks ago:cool:

I feel the PM is just taking the path of least resistance as I am interstate so I can really just rely on them.

My thought is, probably naive though, shouldnt the PM at least ask the tenant to use a screw driver with the loose button?

Plz give me some advice on what I should do after these repairs as I just dont feel this PM is not acting as middle man but rather a rent collector only?

I feel the PM is just taking the path of least resistance as I am interstate so I can really just rely on them.

What are you expecting your PM to do, apart from advising you? Are you expecting the PM to not bother you and ask the tenant to fix the blockage?

If it's blocked, it's blocked. Nothing you can do apart for getting someone to fix it. Regarding the light switch, yes, we all expect our tenants to be more proactive, but what if you ask them to fix them themselves, they use a ladder, they fall, and sue you? Will you be blaming the PM for taking the path of least resistance?

If you ask a tenant to touch anything electrical, you deserve the civil suit and statutory action you will eventually get.
The button is loose, tenant removes cover plate goes to snap button back into click-fits on the plate, touches both wires, flops like a fish on the sand for 15 minutes because lighting circuits arent on rcd, lives, complains, sues, prosecutes
EVERYTHING electrical requires a sparky

For the safety of your property, you do not want a possibly blocked leaking tree-root filled sewer line, just plunged. This is a large blockage since it affects 2 lines inside the premises.

They are all your responsibility, but I understand your suspicions seeing this tenant reported similar issues after the last rent rise.

I would get them fixed, but suggest to the PM that if they have caused the issues by flushing inappropriate things or tipping fats down the sink, that they will be up for the cost of the fix.

At the very least, make sure that the PM knows that you INSIST on seeing the report from the plumber about what was blocking the toilet and the sink.

This was discussed in a recent post, and after paying for two blockages in a downstairs loo we have made it clear that now the cracked clay pipes are replaced with plastic, and after our plumber telling us that this downstairs loo must have a full flush, any blockages caused by flushing sanitary items will be paid for by the tenant.

She has agreed to this, so we will see what happens if it blocks again. If she refuses to pay, we will pay for it, but at least the tenant might be much more careful of how the toilet is used.

I would also push for the tenant to pay for a sink blocked with cooking fat. Same deal... if tenant refuses to pay, then it must be unblocked and I would pay up, but the tenant would be looking for a new home at the end of the lease. I'm not going to be played like a fiddle.

What are you expecting your PM to do, apart from advising you? Are you expecting the PM to not bother you and ask the tenant to fix the blockage?

If it's blocked, it's blocked. Nothing you can do apart for getting someone to fix it. Regarding the light switch, yes, we all expect our tenants to be more proactive, but what if you ask them to fix them themselves, they use a ladder, they fall, and sue you? Will you be blaming the PM for taking the path of least resistance?

I would expect the the PM to be proactive and get someone to fix it, and not bother me with trivial things.

There's some good info above from some experienced investors

As I see it...

• Repairs = Owner
  • Damage = Tenant

I wouldn't ask a tenant to play with a light switch button (well not in writing or without upping my insurances :D). Electrickery bites, so best to be safe

Some tenants do whinge about repairs when the rents go up, however if the toilet and/or sinks blocked, it really needs to be fixed before it causes further damage. As Wylie said, ask for a comprehensive report

What were last years complaints, if similar?

As for PM's, they are your buffer, but you need to Manage them

I would expect the the PM to be proactive and get someone to fix it, and not bother me with trivial things.

Depends what you have instructed your PM to be "trivial". Some PMs are authorised to spend certain amount of money to be paid without having to "bother" the landlord.

To me, a blockage that is happening for the second time, is not trivial. I would expect my PM to let me know.

Some tenants "don't like to complain"

I know from when I worked as a PM that some tenants don't advise you of issues until you are at the property doing a routine inspection. They don't like to complain! I have lost count of how many times the letter was sent to them advising the date of the inspection with a form to fill in if there was any issues. On the day I was there the form was not filled in but on asking if there were any issues I was told "well actually, while you're here this doesn't work, that doesn't work". So the landlord would receive a copy of the inspection report and a list of issues. I'm also not going to mention how many times I would run into tenants in the supermarket and they remembered what the issues were.

As a rule, they can't be bothered advising of faults unless they receive a letter from the agent, usually advising of rent increases and renewals.

BTW - I ran into the tenant of my sister-in-laws property and was chatting to him (his parents are acquaintances). I mentioned that I had heard he was not going to renew his lease and asked if they had bought somewhere. I was told that the rent seems to always be going up. I asked what amount and he said $5 a week. At this point I stopped talking, turned around and walked off. My sister-in-law has just paid $600 (her half) to replace the back fence to keep HIS dogs in. I couldn't be bothered explaining loan increases, etc. and asking why he thought that the rent should stay the same year after year.

Back