Should ALL petrol engines be serviced every 5000?

And you survived?????? The term "Hitler's revenge" is etched in my memory.

I had friends die in these infernal death traps.

I was upmarket, I had a new second hand 12V VW when I was young and silly :)

At least it started, which was more than most of my mates cars did.

Am hating the candle power currently, got to redo the wiring on the roolites on the front so I can actually see, good thing I'm on holidays in a week.

Not to take anything away from the aiming in safety features these days.
It is a bloody good thing and now that they pushing the envelope on it more and more to compete , even better.

I know in principal they're working towards it right now and have been for yrs in some cars or even racing cars but I believe it's possible to create a pretty well indestructible cabin shell itself, a cocoon within the car. Capable of withstanding 200k hits ,in ordinary everyday cars.

Cheers

I've been servicing my own Landcruiser every 5000kms and performing all other scheduled servicing and repairs along the way and I change every 4000kms because the viscosity gets thin and in my opinion is contaminated enough to stop performing as well as it should, let alone 5000.

Upon reading a manual for a Proton Persona, the manual tells to change every 15,000kms to retain a warranty.. This seems ridiculous, am I missing something with these newer/small engines?

It depends if you drive it daily or hardly ever, if you drive it daily I would have thought 10,000k's is good enough or if you drive it hardly ever then 5000k's would be okay.
I do mine 10,000k's even tho book says 15,000k's, the more you do it the longer your engine will last.
your oil stick when you pull it out will be clear because you service it early but anyone that services every 15,000k's will always have dark looking oil

Not to take anything away from the aiming in safety features these days.
It is a bloody good thing and now that they pushing the envelope on it more and more to compete , even better.

i think it's abominable, personally.

what was a small car, at about 850kgs, has now ballooned out to something like the comparison of a Hyundai i30 tiping the scales at over 1200kgs - and is as wide as my old HG Kingswood which was 1460kgs.

My Kinger was considered a BIG car in it's day - and i mean BIG - even as early as 10 years ago i would have joked it was a dinosaur with it's weight and size.

The new BF falcons are 1800kgs!!!! that's insanely heavy.

Small car? No. Just a car with a more efficient engine and a bucket load of plastic crumple zones stuffed in so you can buy it for under $20k.

what i find abominable is that we could design monocoque chassis so much better now - indeed the whole idea behind monocoques was to SAVE weight, not double it.

Look at the SMART car - ugly and as stupid as sin - but they can survive a semi head-on collision at 100kph and you can STILL open - and close - the doors.

Smart monocoque design is here and has been for a long time, just with all the crumple zones/sound deadener/copper cabling/IRS cradles etc it's just gone stupid.

there's anothe rpoint as well - copper cabling. Why run the cr@p? just put a wireless router under the dash set to a specific frequency per car and have all the sensors as wireless. you'd save 250kgs easy (no joke) - and I know - i've stripped cars to re-wire before and the last one i did was a VT commodore - what a ridiculous amount of superflous and double up wiring.

Strange how they're so much heavier, where's the weight then , apart from wiring ?
The paneling's thinner than ever , on my wifes Sportage you can bend a door in your hand. It's solid underneath but the paneling's ridiculous.
Or if you see even say a ford with any panel damage now and it literally looks like silver foil once it's crinkled at all.

Can't say as I'd agree going wireless though . With so much wireless around now , we live amongst rays all over the place and particularly in our homes and mobiles of course .
Scientists and doctors all over the world are advising the breaking down of wireless scenarios in anyway we can now, especially around the home, bedrooms and sticking to wire in anyway possible.
Which is common sense really because of just what's floating all around you with anything wireless otherwise.

So I'm not a big fan of it myself .

make cars like everything else,
1 pair of wires connected to everything, supplying power and control by fm signal in the power wire
watched em redoing c113 aircraft, pulled out hundreds of metres of cable, replaced with a single loop and smart boxes, plane weighed 400kg less, thats a lot for a 2tonne plane

Drove my partner's car the other day, noticing it was running a bit rough in comparison to when I used to drive it a bit over a year ago. I asked her when it was last serviced - 30,000km ago. :eek:

Needless to say, first day off, I've done a once over on it.

Here's a pic of the oil:

sdc11758q.jpg

If that won't rape a motor, I don't know what will.

it's still there, so it's fine.

here's one to stir the pot.

the alkalinity of new oil actually does more damage to seals (like valve stems, rubber sump gaskets etc) than old oil. in fact, to protect your motor from the "ravages" of the reduced viscosity of old oil, put a few drops of Molybdenum in with your next change.

then you'll only even have to change filters and top up the loss.

i love how big oil have us wrapped around their little finger.

Drove my partner's car the other day, noticing it was running a bit rough in comparison to when I used to drive it a bit over a year ago. I asked her when it was last serviced - 30,000km ago. :eek:

Needless to say, first day off, I've done a once over on it.

Here's a pic of the oil:

sdc11758q.jpg

If that won't rape a motor, I don't know what will.

I hate to see that sort of cruelty.

It's just not right.

Filled the Honda up with petrol just before, checked the tyres - one was at 14 PSI, the others circa 22-24.

I should really revoke her driving privileges until she learns proper car maintenance.

Filled the Honda up with petrol just before, checked the tyres - one was at 14 PSI, the others circa 22-24.

I should really revoke her driving privileges until she learns proper car maintenance.

Amazing how many people have no idea.....I did some work on someones car the other day, Oil level below the stick, one tyre down to 10 PSI. :rolleyes:

Amazing how many people have no idea.....I did some work on someones car the other day, Oil level below the stick, one tyre down to 10 PSI. :rolleyes:

Many years ago my sister thought she'd checked the oil, removed the oil filler cap, couldn't see any oil, so bought some and kept pouring until it was up to the brim :eek:

Many years ago my sister thought she'd checked the oil, removed the oil filler cap, couldn't see any oil, so bought some and kept pouring until it was up to the brim :eek:

Haha. A mate did that, amazingly the car still ran, though he was a bit worried about the excessive smoke it was blowing!

It depends if you drive it daily or hardly ever, if you drive it daily I would have thought 10,000k's is good enough or if you drive it hardly ever then 5000k's would be okay.
I do mine 10,000k's even tho book says 15,000k's, the more you do it the longer your engine will last.
your oil stick when you pull it out will be clear because you service it early but anyone that services every 15,000k's will always have dark looking oil

I service my car a silly amount of times but its all due to how i use it. with my car pre and post track day gets a oil change along with every 5000km. It revs hard and gets driven hard so it gets well looked after.

If you do general work + shopping driving changing it every 10,000km or 3-6months is fine. remember your major service but!!!!!!

Back