Should I claim or not?

Last week, my PM called and said that some people broke whole the window glasses in my IP and the tenant had called the police. I am not sure what happened and if the guy who broke the windows had a specific problem with the tenant or not. But apperently it is the landlord and not the tenant responsible for the repair. Any way, the PM sent me an invoice of $800 for fixing the glasses. I talked to AAMI and they told me I have a $500 excess on my policy, and if I claim it, the primium will go up %5. Do you think it is better to claim and get at least $300 back, or pay all out of packet because of keeping premium down? Could anyone give me some advice on this. Looking forward to hear about your similar experience.
Yadeh

I'm no expert but personally I would ask for a police report or something before I paid anything. People don't generally attack an inhabited building for no reason and if this guy had an issue with the tenant (and I'd give good odds that he did :rolleyes:), I would consider the bill to be the tenant's.

Did they catch the guy?

Am :)

Definitely insist that the tenant provide a police report number prior to you paying for anything. At least the tenant, if lying, has actually comitted an offence (ripping off a landlord is not an offence, filing a false police report is). The tenant should be able to file a police report now even if they did not do so at the time.

I recently made a similar claim with suncorp and they tell me that my premium will not go up just based on this single claim. So maybe get a different insurer where you don't have to worry about that stuff.

Definitely insist that the tenant provide a police report number prior to you paying for anything.

.....and by what practical mechanism do you propose to achieve this definite insistence ??

The glazier won't work for the agency again if he isn't re-imbursed for the work (both materials and labour) immediately.

The PM doesn't want to upset the good working relationship they have with "their glass guy".

It's no skin off the PM's revenue stream to keep the good relationship. It's a simple case of ripping the cash from the already deposited rent.

The wood-duck at the end of the cash line is in absolutely no position whatsoever to be insisting anything at all. Says so in the agreement they signed....authorising the Agent to "gleefully rip away".

Tenant meanwhile, doesn't give two figs either way about the whole affair. The window was replaced at no cost to them, and no-one can prove otherwise.....job sorted.

What exactly do you propose the Landlord do to enforce their "insistence". Stomp their feet loudly. Indeed, the RTA to which they rely upon for teeth in matters such as these is like a 99yr old gummy chops.

Good luck yadeh trying to get anyone to chip in for your window, with the tenant and both the RE co. and the insurance co. You're up against it.....

In similar occasions to these, I think this is "it's not fair how come I need to pay this" complaint # 414 on the forum, the established practice by wiser counsel than I at the end of the thread always concludes with the line.....it's only a small amount of maintenance cash, just keep thinking of the big picture. Works a treat every time.

..... the established practice by wiser counsel than I at the end of the thread always concludes with the line.....it's only a small amount of maintenance cash, just keep thinking of the big picture. Works a treat every time.

yep, sit back as a recipient of the $9 billion tax bonanza and watch your houses balloon in value - the greed of it all.

I went out with a young lad from our company today to help get him some digs (new to the country). the asking rent for this place was $240 a week. biggest bargain ever, how you landlords deliver this product at this incredible price is amazing! When procrastinating what price to offer per week I did point out to him that even at double that rent, the sucker in the deal is still the party on the other side of the transaction

Thank you all guys for all the input. I got the police report from the agent today, but not much information just saying that a theft but nothing stolen and the glasses was broken. As I understand from your comments, I have no choice to pay for this. I will try to claim the $300 from the insurance. I hope this wont repeat, if it is related to the tenant dispute with someone. Thanks,

Yadeh

Back