Should I demolish PART of house to subdivide

I'm not sure if it is just frustration that I keep getting outbid or out offered, on subdividable properties that I am starting to think of more drastic measures to achieve my goal- which is to buy a poroperty that I can subdivide the back yard off of and retain the existing front house.

A while ago I came across a corner block property that got me thinking, it was not subdividable as is, BUT if I demolished an extension (an additional living area of brick construction, not under the main roof) I could get the neccessary size for the vacant block in the back yard, (all private open space would then go to front of house with a new fence and driveway), at the time I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, but 6 months later the market has shifted significantly and I can see myself getting priced out of my plan. Here is the floor plan, the family and rumpus room would have to go, along with the shed/garage at rear. But 3 bed, one bath, kitchen, dining, lounge would still remain.
15 keynes ave warradale.jpg

I have no idea what it would cost to demolish a brick extension, and tidy up the wall, but I figure if a whole house costs about 10k to knock over, maybe 10k would be a reasonable budget for a part demolish and tidy up. Any builders like to comment on my idea? Crazy?

Erica check with council, POS usually can't be infront of the house - only to the side and behind.

Also change the name of your file so everyone doesn't know the address :)

Maybe time to start looking out North/East way?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-clearview-117489771

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-banksia+park-117451379

Likely will have some competition for both, but resale/val should be good.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-magill-117561179

Banksia park need to do some negotiating on price and might have to knock down the carport/s, but buy knocking down you will create POS on the side of the dwelling.

Last edited:
Hi Erica,

I presume your using this an example?

I see it's sold and very retro lol,carpets and vinyl match each other,i need sunglasses :rolleyes:

Maybe existing layout could be converted to granny?

Eg:Halve the double garage,1 for existing rez and 1 for granny.Turn existing single garage and workshop into a granny?

I'm no builder nor familiar with SA laws but i'm sure fellow SS'ers with more experience will be along to comment.

Interesting layout all the same.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Brady i was replying at the same time,snipped at the post :(...:p

Thanks for suggestion guys

Brady, appreciate the links, I have absolutelly no knowlege of the inner Northern market, although I have be reading your posts with interest regarding the value and potential for growth in these areas. I have my heart set on the West side of CBD as I grew up there and have a good knowledge base for what properties are selling for, I think it is about 12 months I've now invested of my free time attending opens/auctions on weekends.

I understand that the council development plan states private open space is to be rear and or side including an area that can fit a square 4x4m. HOWEVER if you look long enough you can find multiple examples where the council has granted exceptions, there are inovative solutions to get the POS requirements.
Just one quick example : http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaton-115744031

I've even played around with the idea of demolishing a laundry and toilet that was in a lean too at the back of the property to achieve enough area for a subdivision, then remodeling to put the toilet/ laundry under the main roof in the existing bathroom at a squeeze.

Hi Erica,
the council is quite important. The northern suburbs and particularly Port Adelaide/Enfield are pro development. Marion not too bad. Magill is quite OK too but the prices have moved very high. I'm surprised that Seaton is mostly over 400K now.

And then the person who has the power to decide on sub-division is important too. I did one at Blair Athol that actually did not need the extension to be demolished but before DA was given, the person in charge of my case went overseas. I got a young eager beaver who knew very little about my block.

In the end, I spent $4500 for an architect to make drawings of removal of the extension and renovation of the existing property.

DA came within 3 days of the submission of the new plans.

You MUST first of all be sure that there's enough land for the sub-division.

Good luck,
KY

cheers

Hi, and thanks Kum Yin Lau, this is the sort of feed back I'm after.

I was outbid on a 700m sq corner block in Seaton recently which sold for $480,000, owch!

I thought that the demolishing of any structures to get the necessary minimum block size for subdivision would need to be completed before plans are lodged with council- good to learn that plans can be lodged before capital works are commenced, I will certainly keep this in mind for the next project. My first subdivision and build took 3 years, alot of the delays myown fault, next project aiming for 12 mths!

Back